"Need to stay 3 days in Malaysia" scam

1 minute ago, JoseThailand said:

But I don't like to be told where to stay by some corrupt crooks making up their own rules.

As an experienced tourist. surely life is too short for that kind logic. People get too embroiled in the "It's the principle that counts" rather than the practical result.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JoseThailand said:

As an experienced tourist, you should be aware of different kinds of scams. Too many crooks out there wanting our hard earned cash.

As an experience non tourist, I have lost more money in the back of a Bangkok taxi.

52 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

Yes, he never named the border crossing..he could have done 1 night and tried the other one west coast near the problem one....'sadao' ?

This was in Padang Besar, but I've heard similar stories from other Malaysian border checkpoints.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

As an experienced tourist, you should be aware of different kinds of scams. Too many crooks out there wanting our hard earned cash.

So why don't you already know about this scam if you're an experienced tourist? Plenty of threads in here about it and lots of advice on which other border points to go to to avoid it. 

Methinks you need to spend less time whining about "Thailand is a scam" and more time learning how to play the game. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

And I saw with my own eyes stacks of passports being stamped at the border down south, while the owners probably were at the time in Pattaya or Patong...

The mini van drivers would have a stack of passports in their hands which they would pass through Padang Besar immigration checkpoint with - the good ole old days. 

Edited by recom273
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

The thing is they make up this thing to make you pay them. Typical scammer tactics.

LOL. Where did you think you think you were, Kansas?

They have 3 years lost "income" to make up for. I did say a while back to expect such.

Bribes are a fact of life in many countries- don't want to comply- don't go to them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Did a borderrun in Wang Prachan on 5 jan. Had to leave, METV.

10 o'clock there, got a tm 6 to fill in on Thai border.

With that to Malaysian border and asked for in/out.

In was on the left, out 2 steps to the right. Then back to Thailand and again stamped in, all in 30 minutes.

No demands about staying in Malaysia or additional paying.

As the way it should be.

Maybe because my wife (deputy manager labor officer) called around to ask about borderrun? Dont know, but done.

On leaving Wang Prachan, I saw 3 vans in train formation coming to border, probably filled with tourists for borderrun. So did the run just on right time.

They told my wife to do run before afternoon, as then it would be busy. Good my wife had connections and helped? Dont know.

Did it with no sweat, as I was "excited" what to expect after reading stories about border runs. 

17 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I don't mind, as long as this "rule" is publicised, as I'd rather spend 3 days in Malaysia than being robbed at the border. And I'd let the TAT know too, that 'I had to spend 3 days in expensive Malaysia, so that I need to cut back on my Thailand holiday budget'... 

Oh yes, let TAT know all about it ????????

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What if you are under 50. 

The border at Danok is 400 to return same day. However Danok is a dump. Wang Prachan for most people is 1500 but more for others. Pedang Basar will let you return next day but must have return flights, hotel bookings and 20,000 cash. 

2 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Why do you need a flight if you use a land border?

I "think" he meant onward flight (as in, out of Thailand within the time stamped in) rather than return flight. Unusual to be asked at a land crossing but this is the second report I've read this week (other was Cambodian crossing from memory).

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

What if you are under 50. 

Buy the elite visa, teach perhaps or move on. This isn't twenty years ago - it's practically 2025. Anyone in their 40s and attempting to live here by chance gets exactly what they deserve. Seriously, wake up. The hassles have been firmly in place for well over 15 years. I remember getting hassled over a triple visa with the reason of visiting my gf - both of us were at the Thai embassy in DC. 2011. Serious attitude change, policy change around 2010. Been headaches since.