Opinion: Nobody Won After the Recent Debacle Over Covid-19 Vaccine Proof for Entry to Thailand

webfact

45 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I sometimes wonder if he's following me around the forum to laugh at me.

555 don't flatter yourself. Given I don't see who posts the vast majority of the time, I don't think so, I just react to posts as I read a thread. If it's all the same, either you post a lot of funny stuff or a lot of <deleted>.  That said, there are a few posters that are pretty easy to recognise just from the tone of their posts. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

GRAVITAS... putting the boots into Thailand, and not pulling any punches.

She said SKorea is still getting 12% positive even after their new strict  restrictions.  And was it 30%+ before.  "Is china using this as a biological weapon?".  Thailand bends over.  

I remember when my dad made such a big deal when Johnny Cash " that ex con" was in the Ed Sullivan show.  But now being a drug dealer ex con grooms you for top dog in Thailand.  If you think about it this is a badge that tells most he fits right in. 

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seems strange that the first thing they wanted to do was go somewhere else. Is there nowhere in China that is worth visiting?

There certainly  is, but there are other oppressions to escape.... and when younger did you not want to visit exotic other countries?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Elkski said:

Abusers should be punished but don't take tools of expression away from all of us. 

The negative emojis create problems and work for mods (surprising how some react to them) .... if you want to express yourself, make a reply. 

• Like 1

A post with content that was copy and pasted from CNN has been removed:

27. You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Only post a link, the headline and three sentences from the article. Content in the public domain is limited to the same restrictions.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I look at it differently. IMO Thailand ( the actual environment ) benefits if less tourists arrive in it. The way it was prior to covid was ruining every tourist destination from far too many people. If numbers get back to those in the 90s and Thailand can focus on a better experience rather than numbers, it will benefit both Thailand's environment and the tourists that do visit.

So, less tourists = a win, not a loss.

I agree.  Thailand had around 11 million tourists in 2022.  Pattaya seemed quite busy in the latter half of the year and there were lots of traffic jams.  The road system as currently configured, with curb parking still offered on the major roads, just can no longer handle the increasing amount of traffic, especially on weekends when all the Bangkokians come to town.  My partner and I have rearranged our routine to try not to be in the congested areas on weekends or when special events are going on but even during the week some areas are traffic-clogged.

The city has been doing drainage work all over town and, while needed, adds no lanes and does nothing to alleviate the traffic jams.   Pattaya remains with too few traffic lanes to handle the ever-increasing traffic as it continues to rapidly grow.  Meanwhile, the clueless city added a parking lane to Beach Road, making that road even more traffic-clogged, with one fewer traffic lanes.  Of the three underpasses planned for Sukhumvit Road, only one has been built.  So, that's the situation at 11 million.  What's it going to be at 20 million?  Or if Thailand gets back to 40 million at some point?  

I disagree, the winners were the content platforms and providers, for example the gentleman writing this opinion piece. :coffee1:

Nothing like a good covid entry restrictions story to get everyone wound-up, even better as there was a Chinese angle involved. Just a pity for them the 'order' was rescinded before the ink had dried, there was so much more mileage to be had !

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, realfunster said:

I disagree, the winners were the content platforms and providers, for example the gentleman writing this opinion piece. :coffee1:

Nothing like a good covid entry restrictions story to get everyone wound-up, even better as there was a Chinese angle involved. Just a pity for them the 'order' was rescinded before the ink had dried, there was so much more mileage to be had !

Wow such true Sarcasm, and deep dark sarcasm at that....

3 hours ago, newnative said:

I agree.  Thailand had around 11 million tourists in 2022.  Pattaya seemed quite busy in the latter half of the year and there were lots of traffic jams.  The road system as currently configured, with curb parking still offered on the major roads, just can no longer handle the increasing amount of traffic, especially on weekends when all the Bangkokians come to town.  My partner and I have rearranged our routine to try not to be in the congested areas on weekends or when special events are going on but even during the week some areas are traffic-clogged.

The city has been doing drainage work all over town and, while needed, adds no lanes and does nothing to alleviate the traffic jams.   Pattaya remains with too few traffic lanes to handle the ever-increasing traffic as it continues to rapidly grow.  Meanwhile, the clueless city added a parking lane to Beach Road, making that road even more traffic-clogged, with one fewer traffic lanes.  Of the three underpasses planned for Sukhumvit Road, only one has been built.  So, that's the situation at 11 million.  What's it going to be at 20 million?  Or if Thailand gets back to 40 million at some point?  

And now they expect 80 million in 5 years time to come annually....

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Salerno said:

Where did you get that from?

If they come without insurance and they get sick with covid, who else is going to pay? That's what the insurance was for. Now, if they test positive, they still have the same ramifications, but they also may not have insurance. Someone's going to pay. Can't imagine it will be the Chinese group tourist.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

If they come without insurance and they get sick with covid, who else is going to pay? That's what the insurance was for. Now, if they test positive, they still have the same ramifications, but they also may not have insurance. Someone's going to pay. Can't imagine it will be the Chinese group tourist.

They are.

There has been no suggestion whatsoever Indians or Chinese are going to get free medical treatment and I find it quite ludicrous to come to that conclusion just because the insurance requirement for entry has, allegedly but not confirmed (still listed on various airline sites and IATA sit as a requirement) been withdrawn.

6 minutes ago, Salerno said:

They are.

There has been no suggestion whatsoever Indians or Chinese are going to get free medical treatment and I find it quite ludicrous to come to that conclusion just because the insurance requirement for entry has, allegedly but not confirmed (still listed on various airline sites and IATA sit as a requirement) been withdrawn.

Chinese insurance companies are not paying out in China. You think they'll pay out here? 
https://www.ft.com/content/c049eb2d-4455-4ed3-b775-2c6818ec5737

"China’s urban middle class is not faring much better as patients struggle to file Covid insurance claims. Multiple hospitals have refused to issue proof of infection for patients who tested positive unless they also report a lung infection and pass a review by local health authorities."

https://www.ft.com/content/c049eb2d-4455-4ed3-b775-2c6818ec5737https://www.ft.com/content/c049eb2d-4455-4ed3-b775-2c6818ec5737

Edited by John Drake

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Chinese insurance companies are not paying out in China. You think they'll pay out here? 

And?

Your links are irrelevant to the issue, all they do is add support for ditching the insurance requirement - they do not add anything that backs up your claim that Indians and Chinese will be treated for free as opposed to other foreigners.

When Thailand first started to let people back in a number of them that didn't do due diligence found their insurance wouldn't pay out when they got a positive test in quarantine, do you have any evidence they didn't have to pay out of their own pocket?

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

And?

Your links are irrelevant to the issue, all they do is add support for ditching the insurance requirement - they do not add anything that backs up your claim that Indians and Chinese will be treated for free as opposed to other foreigners.

When Thailand first started to let people back in a number of them that didn't do due diligence found their insurance wouldn't pay out when they got a positive test in quarantine, do you have any evidence they didn't have to pay out of their own pocket?

Clearly, you are incapable of deducing the consequences.

• Haha 1

The insurance is still needed, for those who are returning to Mainland China and India, according to the latest info (Jan 10) released by the Thai gov.

The original claim that it was cancelled came from a 'Thai PBS World' article that quoted a 'spokesman'. This was then published verbatim by the investigative journalists at 'Phuket Go' ????

'Thai PBS World' corrected themselves yesterday:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/tourists-from-china-and-india-must-have-health-insurance-coverage/

Edited by GanDoonToonPet
  • Like 1