My son needs to change Tabien Ban registration from Udon to Chonburi.....

Hello there,

My son has Thai citizenship and was born in Chonburi. He was on my first wife's Tabien Ban (his mother).

I remarried some years later and my son and I moved to Udon Thani to my current wife's home (we are currently separated)

My son had to be removed from his orginal tabien ban and on to my current wife's tabien ban so he could attend the local school which he did for 1 year when he was 15.

His mother (my first wife) has come into some money and wishes to buy property and wants to leave it to our son but says that if my son is on my current wife's tabien ban there could be legal inheritance problems.

Pertinent facts: My son is now 18. We are currently in Australia.

So if my son wishes/needs to change back to his original tabien ban what needs to happen?

Do we need the signature/co-operation of my current wife (or possibly her mother who may be the Tabien Ban holder)?

Or can my son just front up to an ampur office and "remove" himself ?

Does this transfer process have to be done in Udon Thai or can it be done in Chonburi (where he was born and his mother's tabien ban is registered) ?

Thanks in advance for any respondents advice; it's greatly appreciated.

cheers,

S.L.

I had great problems getting my tgf to move her name from her previous tabien bahn to mine (where she now lives). The office at Pattaya said she not only needs the permission of the previous tabien bahn holder but for him to physically come to the office to do it. He was reluctant to do it so in the end we gave up. Hard to believe it's so difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, allane said:

People can not simply remove or add themselves to a tabien baan. It must be done by the housemaster.

So I need my wife or wife's mother (housemaster) to swan down to the local ampur office in UT and have them remove my son and we are good; correct?

3 hours ago, BukSeedaLao71 said:

His mother (my first wife) has come into some money and wishes to buy property and wants to leave it to our son but says that if my son is on my current wife's tabien ban there could be legal inheritance problems.

Can't see any problem there. Property ownership has nothing to do with house registration. Any person can own many properties yet can only be registered in 1 tabian ban. Moreover, according to what I understand from the OP - the mother of the son wants to buy property under her name, and and have the son inherit the property upon her death. So again - nothing to do with where the son is registered at.

As for transferring the registration to another house - the correct way is to be removed from 1 book and then registered in the new book. However, many people simply get registered in the new book without removing their names from the old book. As mentioned already - the house master must approve any new registration into their house book, and only the house master can remove someone from their house book. 

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Can't see any problem there. Property ownership has nothing to do with house registration. Any person can own many properties yet can only be registered in 1 tabian ban. Moreover, according to what I understand from the OP - the mother of the son wants to buy property under her name, and and have the son inherit the property upon her death. So again - nothing to do with where the son is registered at.

As for transferring the registration to another house - the correct way is to be removed from 1 book and then registered in the new book. However, many people simply get registered in the new book without removing their names from the old book. As mentioned already - the house master must approve any new registration into their house book, and only the house master can remove someone from their house book. 

Interesting you say can own many properties but only registered in one. My friend, Thai national has 3 properties and 3 Tabian ban.

Just now, CMBob said:

Presuming the mom makes a valid Will and clearly identifies who gets what, how is it that where her/your son is listed

on a tabien ban have anything to do with it?  I simply don't buy that premise.

Its something that my son's mother has concerns about. I was unaware of the possibility that being registered on another tabien ban could affect my son's inheritance of property left to him from his mother either. Just thought I would get a few opinions before I contact a lawyer friend.

I had no problem getting Thais moved into the Blue House Book belonging to my house, but the so-called registered "house master" need to do it, which in my case is me.

I've moved both my girlfriend and two minor nieces – so they could be eligible for public school in the area where I live – no hassle at all, later the house master of the previous house book-registration will get a notice to come with the house book to the tessa ban-office and have the moved name(s) deleted...????

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I had no problem getting Thais moved into the Blue House Book belonging to my house, but the so-called registered "house master" need to do it, which in my case is me.

I've moved both my girlfriend and two minor nieces – so they could be eligible for public school in the area where I live – no hassle at all, later the house master of the previous house book-registration will get a notice to come with the house book to the tessa ban-office and have the moved name(s) deleted...????

Thanks Khun Per......that is great news!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BukSeedaLao71 said:

but says that if my son is on my current wife's tabien ban there could be legal inheritance problems.

That’s wrong, the house book has nothing to do with ownership, so he doesn’t have to do anything.

4 hours ago, JWRC said:

Interesting you say can own many properties but only registered in one. My friend, Thai national has 3 properties and 3 Tabian ban.

Sure, every house has a house book, but he is registered as resident in only one, the other house books might be empty.

10 hours ago, JWRC said:

Very possible. I'm aware of several cases where a Thai national owns several houses and their name is shown as the house master in one book. They hold the TB books for the other houses they own but there's no names in theese TB books.

I asked my Thais son if this is legal, he says 'YES, quite common'.  And he reminded me his cousin is an example.

39 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Very possible. I'm aware of several cases where a Thai national owns several houses and their name is shown as the house master in one book. They hold the TB books for the other houses they own but there's no names in theese TB books.

I asked my Thais son if this is legal, he says 'YES, quite common'.  And he reminded me his cousin is an example.

Its not only common, it's actually the right way.

eg: my wife and daughter are on the same Tibbian Baan, but have 6 other Tibbian Baan between them, for the properties they also own, and of course these 6 books are blank (with only the actual address of the house it pertains too).