Thaksin’s Daughter, Real Estate Tycoon ‘Unacceptable’ To Most Senators

webfact

19 hours ago, pomchop said:

It seems that many have forgotten that the coup to oust taksin was done when taksin was out of the country for a meeting....and in the middle of the night the coward coup crew took over and installed their cronies in power.....if taksin was so corrupt why wasn't his corruption handled by the judiciary in the light of day instead of a stealth coup in the middle of the night?...and of course once the generals were in charge taksin was convicted with no real trial by a group of cowardly high court members and has been hounded along with his family ever since.  Was taksin or yingluck perfect? No.  But were/are they the most corrupt?  At least they got elected.

now we have rule by 250 unelected senators appointed by the coup crew.....no corruption or payoffs to get appointed an unelected senator i am sure...their corruption makes the taksins look relatively mild.

answer is to let the thai people vote and whoever THEY choose as their leader becomes leader...it is what some call democracy which people in various countries have fought and died over for hundreds of years...the generals sure don't want an open election as they are pretty sure they will lose their power and the new leader may bring them all up on charges just like they have done to the taksin group.

He looted the country Thais don’t want him back or his RE Tycoon Daughter , we going to go back to the pay for Votes Scheme 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, TingTonger said:

He looted the country Thais don’t want him back or his RE Tycoon Daughter , we going to go back to the pay for Votes Scheme 

The last free election in 2011, Yingluck won the popular vote by 15+ million votes while Ahbisit had about 11 million votes. Her party won 263 parliamentary seats out of 500 seats. So much for your wild opinion that no one want him back. His proxies were winning elections. By the way, paying voters have been a feature of Thai election since memorial. Don’t think you really know much about Thailand politics. 

• Like 1

Just now, Eric Loh said:

The last free election in 2011, Yingluck won the popular vote by 15+ million votes while Ahbisit had about 11 million votes. Her party won 263 parliamentary seats out of 500 seats. So much for your wild opinion that no one want him back. His proxies were winning elections. By the way, paying voters have been a feature of Thai election since memorial. Don’t think you really know much about Thailand politics. 

The more i read about it the worse it is. Im convinced all sides buy votes now. Just watching how mercenary Thai MP's are and how they hop from party to party not caring about ideology at all shows its just a big business.

None of them, not the current mob or the Thaksin followers will ever do anything to combat corruption as they are all in it for the money and any laws that make that harder and any institute that really investigates wont become reality. Democracy just does not work here.

No it does not mean I want more of the current military. Just saying what Thailand is and utterly corrupt country where governing is a business and all about kickbacks. So democracy has failed. Sad but true. So i really dont care much who is in power. The result will be the same anyway.

25 minutes ago, robblok said:

The more i read about it the worse it is. Im convinced all sides buy votes now. Just watching how mercenary Thai MP's are and how they hop from party to party not caring about ideology at all shows its just a big business.

None of them, not the current mob or the Thaksin followers will ever do anything to combat corruption as they are all in it for the money and any laws that make that harder and any institute that really investigates wont become reality. Democracy just does not work here.

No it does not mean I want more of the current military. Just saying what Thailand is and utterly corrupt country where governing is a business and all about kickbacks. So democracy has failed. Sad but true. So i really dont care much who is in power. The result will be the same anyway.

Fair comment. Democracy is not perfect….. I dare say that all countries are corrupted whether it is monetary, abuse of power or discrimination. Ultimately it is the people who will decide who they want or don’t want to be their leaders.

Robbing the people of their choice is disrespectful to the people wishes and worst kind of corruption. Thailand has progressed fairly well and the standard of living has improved and so has poverty. Still a long way to go. Coups stagnate economy growth and gave the image of political instability that hurt investments. 

What I trying to say is that give and trust the people to vote and vote out corruption. It’s not & should never be the military responsibility .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

In 2021, Thailand's economy grew 1.5%, the worst performance among major Southeast Asian nations. 

Their harsh economic reality has many Thais yearning for a return of Thaksin Shinawatra, a former prime minister who led the country to high economic growth.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/Turbulent-Thailand/Thailand-s-Prayuth-Chan-ocha-fights-economy-Thaksin-s-popularity

Edited by MrMojoRisin

18 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Fair comment. Democracy is not perfect….. I dare say that all countries are corrupted whether it is monetary, abuse of power or discrimination. Ultimately it is the people who will decide who they want or don’t want to be their leaders.

Robbing the people of their choice is disrespectful to the people wishes and worst kind of corruption. Thailand has progressed fairly well and the standard of living has improved and so has poverty. Still a long way to go. Coups stagnate economy growth and gave the image of political instability that hurt investments. 

What I trying to say is that give and trust the people to vote and vote out corruption. It’s not & should never be the military responsibility .

I dare say you have not been in the Netherlands. Hardly any corruption there in democracy and other fields. Not as divided as the US. So politicians dont protect their own. So id say no corruption is not normal.

You are right but now in case of Thailand with no good alternatives (maybe future forward) how can democracy help here against corruption ? Not that the alternative (a coup helped). So basically nothing helps if the culture of corruption is too ingrained.

I don't trust the people to vote out corruption (have yo seen it happen in Thailand.. and who is not corrupt ?)

But you are right its not the military its responsibility. Lets just say i see things with a bit more gloom then you. I dont see democracy do anything about it in Thailand as the ones benefitting dont want to really combat it and the population is  too divided and stand behind their man to look at corruption in their own ranks. 

If Phua Thai push for one of the Shins or close family then its going to alienate all those voters who are anti-thaksin. Better to choose a more acceptable candidate to the whole populous for PM. Then the deals can be done to make the country stable for next 5 or so years. 

Its just common sense, but then again I am not Thai so not sure what goes off in their heads.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, robblok said:

basically nothing helps if the culture of corruption is too ingrained.

I have better confidence that the culture of corruption can be eradicated than you with good uninterrupted governance and good institutions. Eradicating corruption is a process and need a continuous policies and management. Countries like Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan were bastions of corruptions in the past. They have since being able to eradicate corruption to an acceptable standard. As I said, continuous interferences of legit governments with corrupt military government are no solution to eradicating corruption.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

don't trust the people to vote out corruption (have yo seen it happen in Thailand.. and who is not corrupt ?)

First this has not been tested in Thailand because of numerous coups. Empowering people to vote out corruption is not a new concept but tested with admirable results in Asia. Indonesia has been a cesspool of corruption and has gradually improved with Jodo Widodo. Still a work in progress but certainly moving in the right direction. South Korea was known as coup country and corrupted. The Korean people have voted wisely since last coup and country has developed leaps and bounds with strong institutions and low corruption. 

Again the same message, give Thailand a chance to choose their leaders. Soldiers should never be allowed to be involved in politics. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

If Phua Thai push for one of the Shins or close family then its going to alienate all those voters who are anti-thaksin. Better to choose a more acceptable candidate to the whole populous for PM. Then the deals can be done to make the country stable for next 5 or so years. 

Its just common sense, but then again I am not Thai so not sure what goes off in their heads.

I will vote for Move Forward Party. But even if Move Forward does not have a candidate in my jurisdiction, I could never vote for Pheu Thai instead as long as Thaksin or one of his nominees is still at the head of the party. I would be forced to look elsewhere and as there does not seem to be much choice in terms of decent parties, probably would not vote at all.