Ignore the Naysayers ! Live the dream in Thailand

Social Media

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If masks are enough to make you leave Thailand, you never really loved the place.

I am 27.

I came the first time in 2019 and met my now wife.

I literally just know Thailand in Corona-Mode. I was ready to just sit it out after loooong months of daily consideration based on heavy aggression, depression and sadness to see masked up toddlers. We already bought winter clothing and had our luggage packed, when I heard that the mask mandate will stop and I hoped it all will finally stop.

But now I start to realize that it, honestly, might never stop.

My wife and I are joking, Thai people will just stop wearing masks if they are being forced with a gun in their face by the military to take them off. I mean it literally, what else will stop them? Officially endemic, mask mandate lifted since months, Anutin stopped spreading panic.

And I do not want to live the next 50-60 years of my life in a country with masked up people, it is the epitome of inhumanity.

And even if the masks will stop one day, it showed the readiness of compliance with government measures of the local population. When they will introduce CBDCs or Social Credit Score like in China, no one will resist. 

So it is not the masks itself, it is the underlying mentality.

In my home country Germany Dr Lauterbach gets more laugh-smileys on Facebook than any other reactions. The comments are very harsh and people are just fed up with this and want to go back to normal.

Even in German government TV they show vaccination damages.

In Thailand, Dr Yong gets JUST likes on Facebook. Nothing else. The comments are all praising him like he would be a national hero. Vaccination damages are not being talked of, just in a small Telegram group with 4000 members, most of them Expats lol..

Edited by FarAway
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO anyone that is bored in LOS will be just as bored anywhere. It's got something for everyone, but not all in the same place, and one has to make an effort- it's not going to be presented on a platter.

I think people that leave because they are "bored" are just too lazy to find something worth while for themselves.

Being periodic bored is part of life, and makes life Sweeter on the other side of it.

No matter where I go or what I do, at some point I get bored of doing the same and be same place.

But truth is, I get less and less bored at the farm where I feel more and more connected with little with work and responsibility's as well care for the animals. 

It is a good sign when you start missing daily life while travelling to new and exotic places.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, FarAway said:

I am 27.

I came the first time in 2019 and met my now wife.

I literally just know Thailand in Corona-Mode. I was ready to just sit it out after loooong months of daily consideration based on heavy aggression, depression and sadness to see masked up toddlers. We already bought winter clothing and had our luggage packed, when I heard that the mask mandate will stop and I hoped it all will finally stop.

But now I start to realize that it, honestly, might never stop.

My wife and I are joking, Thai people will just stop wearing masks if they are being forced with a gun in their face by the military to take them off.

And I do not want to live the next 50-60 years of my life in a country with masked up people, it is the epitome of inhumanity.

And even if the masks will stop one day, it showed the readiness of compliance with government measures of the local population. When they will introduce CBDCs or Social Credit Score like in China, no one will resist. 

So it is not the masks itself, it is the underlying mentality.

Fair enough. Not many 27 year olds posting on here.

If you had lived in LOS in the 90s you might love LOS as much as I do. It really was paradise back then.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Being periodic bored is part of life, and makes life Sweeter on the other side of it.

No matter where I go or what I do, at some point I get bored of doing the same and be same place.

But truth is, I get less and less bored at the farm where I feel more and more connected with little with work and responsibility's as well care for the animals. 

It is a good sign when you start missing daily life while travelling to new and exotic places.

There is a difference between being bored sometimes and being bored all the time.

Farming is a great way to not be bored. I've been involved in farming on and off since 1963, though it was my primary occupation for only a few years.

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO anyone that is bored in LOS will be just as bored anywhere. It's got something for everyone, but not all in the same place.

I don't think people realize, how much living; work, family, kids, actually involve in the consumption of time.

Once retired, if not doing the family thing 'again', and no time consuming hobby, then they have way too much time on their hands.  Boredom would set in real fast, especially after a year of playing sexpat.  Once you did that/done that, it really can't be that special.

Married 4 times, and playing single was great in between, but gets old.  Then being married (to wrong person), after couple years got old.  Even now, without photo hobby and dog to talk to, I'd go nuts.

I simply enjoy driving around, seeing new things, so wife & myself, have to balance that.  She could easily 'live for the house', spend all her time tending to the house itself & gardening.   I want to use as a base, so drag her away, hire someone to water garden.  When away, she appreciates it, but happy to get back to tending to her babies ???? Me, I'm planning the next O&A, while exploring every local nook & cranny ... again.

My only issue with TH, it's a really small country (relative coming from USA), and I've been around it, more than a few times.  But still find interesting things, when weather, surf, AQI is cooperating.   Why I say, a nomadic life would be easy for me, as I simply enjoy being O&A, doing nothing.  I'm easily self entertained.

Others need more, activity, social setting, and new location doesn't always supply that after a year or 2.  If you're an introvert, then you're really screwed. ????  Then definitely book the 1st floor when O&A ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There is a difference between being bored sometimes and being bored all the time.

Farming is a great way to not be bored. I've been involved in farming on and off since 1963, though it was my primary occupation for only a few years.

If you get stuck with responsibility's and can not leave, it will be a different feeling. But as long you manage to keep options, it is actually a preferred lifestyle even some continue to bash the Isaan dream ????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Fair enough. Not many 27 year olds posting on here.

If you had lived in LOS in the 90s you might love LOS as much as I do. It really was paradise back then.

I departed Thailand for the Philippines in 1991 because I thought it was going downhill compared to the 80's. ????

On 1/12/2023 at 10:35 AM, Denim said:

Why even bother to search out expats in the provinces ? 

If you even need an an ' expat ' to talk at , to satisfy your need to express yourself , then you might as well stick to the tourist hotspots. English spoken , food like back home , a night out with the lads in the local pub....why bother going somewhere that doesn't meet your requirements for a good time ?

I am mostly interested in the "food like back home" part, now that I am in my 70's.   Back in my younger days, I was on the "see food" diet.  Not so much now.   Perhaps if I were here long term, I might start eating more like a Thai than a foreigner. 

If I stay for more than 30 days, then I will be going to Thai Language classes.   I don't have any problem with not speaking English with expats.   I know enough Thai to get by without expats. 

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If you have 2 mill 'liquid', I don't find TH unique at all.  No taxes, as no income tax, that's the same most everywhere.  No RE Tax (1) in TH, and that's a big plus, IF, you own.  High crime is in the MSM & usually BS, and beautiful nature is everywhere, worldwide.

TH has decent infrastructure (2) for 3rd world country, and yes, it is 3rd world.  Better than it's neighbors, (Cambo, Laos, Nam) and why I don't think of living there.

Along with inexpensive & accessible healthcare. (3)

But if you got 2 mill in the bank, those 3 items are a bit irrelevant.  Especially at retirement age, as would have a hard time spending 2 mill if not frivolous.  Could easily afford excellent health insurance, which at a certain age, is hard to impossible to get in TH.  Unless having a health issue, the premiums would be more than and minor care needed.

I let my money work. You can never have enough, especially in these times.

In most countries of the world, I would need to pay exorbitant taxes on the profits. In my home country it would be almost 50% :D 

I went to many Caribbean countries on holidays and I saw first hand what it means that Africans have more Testosterone than Asians: They are naturally more aggressive and when they see you have something they don't, they do not hesitate to take it away in the right situation. On Barbuda I was once almost killed on a remote beach.

Then you have countries with no tax and low crime like UAE, Oman, Bahrain and Qatar. But I don't agree with the nature part in these countries, its awful. I was in Dubai for a week and hated it. Superficial, super hot and super fake. The people there are mostly soulless as well.

I am 27 so not at all retirement age.

In my home country I would need to pay mandatory health insurance of several hundreds of Euros EVERY month, in many other so-called "1st world countries" it would be the same.

In my three years of being in Thailand I went to a doctor once to get my heart checked because I had bad symptoms, was 10.000 THB. In Germany I would have paid 500.000 THB of mandatory health insurance in the same time-span.

2 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

I am mostly interested in the "food like back home" part, now that I am in my 70's.   Back in my younger days, I was on the "see food" diet.  Not so much now.   Perhaps if I were here long term, I might start eating more like a Thai than a foreigner. 

If I stay for more than 30 days, then I will be going to Thai Language classes.   I don't have any problem with not speaking English with expats.   I know enough Thai to get by without expats. 

This diet doesn't cost much more in Thailand than it does anywhere else.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-22/whats-this-longevity-diet-will-make-you-live-longer/101463260

Definitely learning Thai will enhance your enjoyment of the country. Pro tip: Learn to read it first ????

2 minutes ago, FarAway said:

I let my money work. You can never have enough, especially in these times.

In most countries of the world, I would need to pay exorbitant taxes on the profits. In my home country it would be almost 50% ????

I went to many Caribbean countries on holidays and I saw first hand what it means that Africans have more Testosterone than Asians: They are naturally more aggressive and when they see you have something they don't, they do not hesitate to take it away in the right situation. On Barbuda I was once almost killed on a remote beach.

Then you have countries with no tax and low crime like UAE, Oman, Bahrain and Qatar. But I don't agree with the nature part in these countries, its awful. I was in Dubai for a week and hated it. Superficial, super hot and super fake. The people there are mostly soulless as well.

I am 27 so not at all retirement age.

In my home country I would need to pay mandatory health insurance of several hundreds of Euros EVERY month, in many other so-called "1st world countries" it would be the same.

In my three years of being in Thailand I went to a doctor once to get my heart checked because I had bad symptoms, was 10.000 THB. In Germany I would have paid 500.000 THB of mandatory health insurance in the same time-span.

At 27, yea, you can never have enough, as that's a long uncertain future.  I was in that tax bracket, and quit investing partly for that reason, after I had enough $$$ at 50 yrs old.   Why am I risking my money, and gov't taking 40%.   That's just too frustrating.   Wouldn't mind paying taxes, if they spent wisely, and stopped giving it away to foreign countries that hate us.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I don't think people realize, how much living; work, family, kids, actually involve in the consumption of time.

Once retired, if not doing the family thing 'again', and no time consuming hobby, then they have way too much time on their hands.  Boredom would set in real fast, especially after a year of playing sexpat.  Once you did that/done that, it really can't be that special.

Married 4 times, and playing single was great in between, but gets old.  Then being married (to wrong person), after couple years got old.  Even now, without photo hobby and dog to talk to, I'd go nuts.

I simply enjoy driving around, seeing new things, so wife & myself, have to balance that.  She could easily 'live for the house', spend all her time tending to the house itself & gardening.   I want to use as a base, so drag her away, hire someone to water garden.  When away, she appreciates it, but happy to get back to tending to her babies ???? Me, I'm planning the next O&A, while exploring every local nook & cranny ... again.

My only issue with TH, it's a really small country (relative coming from USA), and I've been around it, more than a few times.  But still find interesting things, when weather, surf, AQI is cooperating.   Why I say, a nomadic life would be easy for me, as I simply enjoy being O&A, doing nothing.  I'm easily self entertained.

Others need more, activity, social setting, and new location doesn't always supply that after a year or 2.  If you're an introvert, then you're really screwed. ????  Then definitely book the 1st floor when O&A ????

Perhaps I'm not the best person to comment as I've never needed other people- happy to be alone. I guess I don't understand people that HAVE to be with others.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wasn't born yet in 1963 but how is farming fun/ not boring? Why are there so few farmers left in the west? How do you even do it when elderly?  I'm just sitting here at Hua Hin Immigration waiting for a simple 30 day extension of my 60 day visa and have never seen so many elderly in one location in Thailand ever! Eighty percent of them seem incapable to do much at all. I'm wondering if living here long term is really healthy. I'm thinking the 6 ish month here and 6 ish month in the West is perhaps really living the life!  I've tried it before corona and doing it again this year.  There just seems to be a lot of bored people here.  How or why people like the guy next to me do this every 90 days is mind boggling. It seems no one does this on line. If they did it I'd out of here already. The METV seems to be a great route if you like to be out of Thailand a few months a year with way less hassles. 

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

If the cold didnt get you the cost of the heating bills etc surely would. Thailand is better for so many reasons.

So why not come here just for the cold months like many do or should?  Just got my monthly electric bill from my house near freezing Boston $9 for the month. Gas which is for heat and hot water and stove $35 for the month. I have all lights etc off and heat set to 54F/12C 

Go back the last week of April and enjoy the beautiful late spring and Summer! 

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

So why not come here just for the cold months like many do or should?  Just got my monthly electric bill from my house near freezing Boston $9 for the month. Gas which is for heat and hot water and stove $35 for the month. I have all lights etc off and heat set to 54F/12C 

Go back the last week of April and enjoy the beautiful late spring and Summer! 

Thats US not UK where the perxon I answered was referring to. Electric standing charge with no use is around $120 usd alone plus Council Tax same !.

But lets stick to the topic please.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Thats US not UK where the perxon I answered was referring to. Electric standing charge with no use is around $120 usd alone plus Council Tax same !.

But lets stick to the topic please.

I was just responding to you. That's it. On topic. How could anyone in UK stand for a $120 per month standing electric bill? What would it be powering 

Edited by alex8912
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

When you have your own place it is hard to get bored to much. Daily chores, yard work and then the occasional planting project.  Today we hung dried coconut hulls on the coconut tree, filled them with soil and Pete moss as well as new orchids. Makes the yard look nice. 

20230116_142142.jpg

20230116_142240.jpg

20230116_142253.jpg

How do you have free time  to post ever? 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Easy, we take breaks from daily tasks, and I can type and walk at the same time when on the beach...lol, or sitting by the pool.

Well you could easily step on a jelly fish or something and injure your posting hand. Be careful 

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2023 at 3:19 PM, KannikaP said:

You do not need ANYTHING deposited in a bank here if you transfer 65k per month from abroad, and you can spend every last satang of it.

Or if your IO allows it, transfer say 50k per month and have just 200k in the bank using the Combination Method

I wonder what #Neeranam found funny in this. Please tell us all.