Prince Harry's book 'Spare' smashes records by selling an 'extraordinary' 1.4 million copies in a day, publisher says

Social Media

image.png.c47d279da2229c5e01fb337b77b5df8f.png

• Prince Harry broke sales records on Tuesday with his memoir titled "Spare."
  • More than 1.4 million copies were sold on the first day in the US, Canada and UK, per New York Times.
  • It's Penguin Random House's fastest-selling non-fiction book, beating Barack Obama's "A Promised Land".

Article

1 hour ago, Black Ops said:
  • Prince Harry broke sales records on Tuesday with his memoir titled "Spare."
  • More than 1.4 million copies were sold on the first day in the US, Canada and UK, per New York Times.
  • It's Penguin Random House's fastest-selling non-fiction book, beating Barack Obama's "A Promised Land".

I can think of a few ardent royalists this will upset…so at least that’s something good to be said about the book. 

Couldn’t care less about its contents though. 

• Like 2

I rather like Harry & Meghan and they seem to be making their own living.

Obviously Harry is pretty bitter about the UK tabloids over his Mom's death, which I think most of us can relate too.

Then seeing how the British press turned on Meghan, pretty sure that set all those feelings again.

Oh doesn't Kate look wonderful, eh Meghan not so much!

Now, none of us know how much Buck House facilitated that press narrative, but you do have to wonder.

It's a sad family story, but families do fall out, the difference is that this one is being played out in public.

Should an heredity royal family be spared from the media, I don't think so thats the price you pay in the same way as any Hollywood movie star is

• Like 2

Prince Harry's Memoir Is the Fastest Selling Nonfiction Book in UK

The only books that sold more on their first day featured a very different Harry: Harry Potter.

Prince Harry's memoir Spare hit shelves globally yesterday to much fanfare. Not only has it garnered media attention, however, but it is breaking sales records. In the UK, Spare just became the fastest selling nonfiction book ever.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/a42460584/prince-harry-spare-memoir-fastest-selling-nonfiction-book/

I kinda hate myself

A Mexican American fascinated by what is essentially a daytime soap.

Its better than a Thai lakorn, or as my wife who has now learnt Spanish has embraced a Mexican Telenovela, without the gratuitous cleavage!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Credo said:

The metric in deciding whether someone is a decent person is pretty easy for me.  He served his Queen and country in the military and did so with honor.  He has gone to great lengths to protect his wife and children.  That makes him a decent human being.   

Hmm, I think Prince Harry's military statement offsets (25 chess pieces) your comment a little since it could have serious repercussions for his family and others.

*Deleted post edited out*

From the link in the op and without comment:

"Spare," which went on sale Tuesday, has become the publisher's highest-selling non-fiction title on day one, with more than 400,000 copies sold in Britain alone. The figures include hardcover, as well as the e-book edition and audiobooks.

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It certainly seems to be taking up a lot of prime real estate in UK book shops, alongside other similar releases.

Not sure I'd sacrifice the relationship with my family for money, but each to their own.

image.png.7f4a97652e619d5d0c095574777b9abb.png

Are you claiming that if it hadn't been for the possiblity of financial gain, he wouldn't have done it? I'm assuming you have some proof of that. Otherwise it would just be another typical case of ascribing ignoble motives without providing any proof.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, TKDfella said:

Perhaps Prince Harry didn't think it through...and realise the press would 'jump' on it.

Perhaps Harry did not know the book would get released early by mistake in Spain with the press then taking out snippets that were completely out of context and deliberately lying in their headlines. The context is clearly stated in the vid in the link:

Harry says 'dangerous lie' told about his book - and claims Taliban remarks were taken out of context

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I kinda hate myself

A Mexican American fascinated by what is essentially a daytime soap.

Its better than a Thai lakorn, or as my wife who has now learnt Spanish has embraced a Mexican Telenovela, without the gratuitous cleavage!

The scary thing is though, that the actors are truly as disconnected from reality as they appear to be; the bountiful flaws and weaknesses they have demonstrated over decades are genuine - and despite how truly unfit for public office they are, they are amongst the most powerful people in the world. We are ruled by some of the least capable people imaginable - and there is literally nothing we can do about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I would imagine that financial matters are significant factors in many authors' decisions to write, especially those considered celebrities.

So good on him for trying to provide for his family - it is not like he chose to be a royal amidst some of the most dysfunctional, corrupt creatures in the country. That he was born into it means his options to earn a crust are rather limited unless he would have continued to kowtow. 

At least the taxpayer now has one fewer parasite to fund in luxury. If only we could unburden ourselves of the rest of them...

Good on him for selling a pack of lies about his family to the world? For invading the privacy of his family for 30 silver coins? For endangering his family over his 'kill count'? Yeah, good on him lol.

Let me guess, you'd prefer Nicola Sturgeon as President of a Republic?

No thanks...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Good on him for selling a pack of lies about his family to the world? For invading the privacy of his family for 30 silver coins? For endangering his family over his 'kill count'? Yeah, good on him lol.

Let me guess, you'd prefer Nicola Sturgeon as President of a Republic?

No thanks...

Well it would be our republic so you have nothing to worry about there.

But do you really think that the security detail on his family was limited prior to the book? Were there gaps which have had to be filled since the book came out? Surely he did them a favour then?

• Like 1

Well it would be our republic so you have nothing to worry about there.

Keep dreaming... Scotland's going nowhere.

But do you really think that the security detail on his family was limited prior to the book? Were there gaps which have had to be filled since the book came out? Surely he did them a favour then?

I meant his nuclear family in California. Not his family in the UK, they have proper protection.

On 1/12/2023 at 8:21 PM, george said:

I wonder if Harry is a decent bloke or not. It’s  hard to trust all bad things that comes out about him.

what do you think, guys?

Would any decent bloke try to solve family problems by publishing them everywhere?

He could talk to his family.

He could talk to a psychologist.

He could go somewhere to a quiet place and stay quiet and sort out his life.

No, Harry thinks doing Netflix and Oprah will make things better. Or was it Megan who told him to do that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Would any decent bloke try to solve family problems by publishing them everywhere?

He could talk to his family.

He could talk to a psychologist.

He could go somewhere to a quiet place and stay quiet and sort out his life.

No, Harry thinks doing Netflix and Oprah will make things better. Or was it Megan who told him to do that?

"Would any decent bloke try to solve family problems by publishing them everywhere?"

His mother did, the year before that happened his father also revealed to the world about his problems and affair