Taxi Fare Rise in 8 Years Takes Effect

webfact

image.jpeg

BANGKOK,  (TNA) – A taxi fare rise for the first time in eight years took effect for taxis in Bangkok on Friday as Prime Minister Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-ocha ordered relevant agencies to assess its impact on people.

Government spokesman Anucha Burapachaisri said the prime minister was concerned about impacts on the general public, so he instructed many agencies such as the Ministry of Finance and the Office of the National Economic and Social Development Council to monitor the impacts on people and the economy in general. and to propose proper economic measures to alleviate those impacts particularly during the transition period.

At the same time, he realized the hardship of taxi drivers, affected by the rising cost of living and energy prices. It is the first fare rise in eight years to help them, the spokesman said.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1093910

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2023-01-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

That won't work. None of them use the meter.

Than don't use a taxi ,take a car ,bus ,train,     I know easier said than done .

In 11 years i haven't used a taxi yet in Thailand, I don't intend to only if there's no other way.

11 hours ago, zyphodb said:

The Taxi's just about anywhere outside Bangkok refuse to use their meters...

And in certain area’s of Bangkok, at certain times the taxi’s refuse to use their meters and there are no Bolts and no Grabs available, yet loads of taxis rolling up and down the road for their ‘fixed fare’.... 

This fair increase may help the honest taxi drivers and I support that - but it won’t make one bit of difference to the ‘dregs of the taxi driving industry’ who are attracted to the ‘nightlife areas’ so they can charge fixed rates...  

14 hours ago, digger70 said:

Than don't use a taxi ,take a car ,bus ,train,     I know easier said than done .

In 11 years i haven't used a taxi yet in Thailand, I don't intend to only if there's no other way.

Unfortunately there are no trains in Samui, and no  bus service. Only songthaews, taxis, motorbike taxis and some minibuses.

Most tourists end up renting scooters or cars because of the high fares. Easier for me to  just buy a scooter. Cheaper and more convenient.

• Thumbs Up 1