Russian Man Wreaks Havoc at 7-11 in Pattaya’s Walking Street

webfact

22 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

The tourist police are where they always are, stationed in the middle of walking street. I saw them over the holidays. Were you there, at the crime scene, do you actually know what you're talking about? Incidents like this can happen very quickly, remember, the tourist police are on foot. It doesn't take long for a criminal to escape a crime scene. Let's change your user name to "clueless". 

jeez, take a chill pill.... were you at the crime scene? So duh, they can happen very quickly, which is why a cop might be able to get the scene of a crime quickly if the police were spread out  rather than traveling in packs of 6-8 as in photos. In my home town many police in downtown area are on bikes.... could do that here. Or did clueless you never consider mobility issues. I'll be clueless if you be brainless. I usually don't insult back, but as we say, up yours

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I find many of the Chinese utterly delightful, compared to the vast majority of Russians. Often I see the Chinese laughing and playing. When was the last time you saw a Russian smiling, or even being pleasant? 

A lot of the young Russians have come to Thailand to escape the draft and a high chance of dying in a pointless "special military operation". Of all people in the world, they don't have much to smile about. They are basically refugees, not tourists. When Putin announced a call-up for military service at the end of September, the Russian population in Pattaya exploded.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I say they don't make a hill of somtam to the average Thai.

At this precise moment in time, there's probably well over 70 million Thai people that are blissfully unaware of this incident and any others like it.

Then can you concede these incidents do nothing to improve the Thai perception of farangs behaving badly? Such perceptions unquestionably exist and they don't arise out of a vacuum.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

In this case the reporter seemed intent on tarnishing Russians only, so if you're not Russian, rest easy.  

I think Thais are more mature and tollerant, and take each person on their individual merits.

There's no indication that they targeted him because he was Russian. The media recently covered a firehose welcome of a plane load of Russians. They merely reported his behavior in the Pattaya local press as one would expect.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I used to work in retail and people generally don’t explode and trash the place randomly. Something else happened here and we are not getting the whole story.

How about : He went into the shop to buy some beer and they wouldn't sell him any and so he went on the rampage ?

6 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I used to work in retail and people generally don’t explode and trash the place randomly. Something else happened here and we are not getting the whole story.

Here is the "whole story".

Walking Street. 04:30 AM. Continued aggression. Uncooperative with police the following morning.

An innocent person or one who felt he was unduly provoked would cooperate with police.

13 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

I say hi to him every time I see him and I see no reason to insult him by congratulating him in the fashion you suggest.

It was a strange concept known as humor. No need to take a heavy hearted Russian approach towards a joke. Thankfully, most of us live in Thailand and are not Russian. Life is good. 

Edited by spidermike007

8 hours ago, JensenZ said:

However, what is considered rude to one nationality is not considered rude to another. Some nationalities feel uncomfortable when strangers are being too friendly and would consider that rude. For example, I observe that Americans hug strangers or just acquaintances a lot. A lot of nationalities would not appreciate being hugged by strangers and consider it to be abnormal behaviour. I would not appreciate it either. Everyone is different.

Many people like to keep to themselves and not engage with strangers in public. Other people might consider this unfriendly and rude.

You sit at your keyboard judging other nationalities from your own biased point of view, as if you're the judge and jury on what is considered good and bad behaviour. Pattaya has a huge mix of expats and tourists from all over the world, which will cause a lot of confusion when it comes to behavioural patterns. You can't expect people to behave the way they do in your home country.

The Russian in the 7Eleven was just another case of a drunk going bananas. They make a big deal about him being Russian, but to me he's just another drunk with a personality disorder. I've witnessed much worse in Australia, as I used to work in nightclubs, and I'm sure most expats from other countries have also seen some pretty crazy behaviour in their home countries.

I have witnessed this from countless Russians, here, in NY, and all over the world. Justify their behavior all you want. Does not change anything, one iota. There are good reasons why most Russians are disliked. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, a3tsw said:

unless , of course , you toot-toot your horn , then they go all John Wick on you. ????

True, but it's way you toot. They have a toot-code you have to learn. The long, abusive toot is not a good one to use and often met with rebuke. You can speak with a horn.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Not by intent, but by reporting nationalities, that's the end result. If for example, readers don't like Russians, they rally behind the report and spew out their own personal dislike/hatred. We see that here in all the Russian bashing that this particular report has precipitated.

Another day the topic might be Australians after a report of some abnormal, anti social behaviour, or some other bash-of-the-day nationality. Walking Street and Pattaya in general are favourite locaitons for such activities.

Complaining about nationalities being reported seems a bit trite considering the sheer number of members on this board who are more than willing to engage in gratuitous Thai bashing at any opportunity. Could you explain the problem with reporting nationalities? It seems free speech is good until it isn't.

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have witnessed this from countless Russians, here, in NY, and all over the world. Justify their behavior all you want. Does not change anything, one iota. There are good reasons why most Russians are disliked. 

It's actually your sanctimonious attitude towards an entire nationality that I find unpleasant. The actual nationality that you're bashinig is irrelevant. In this case you're bashing 143 million people.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Complaining about nationalities being reported seems a bit trite considering the sheer number of members on this board who are more than willing to engage in gratuitous Thai bashing at any opportunity. Could you explain the problem with reporting nationalities? It seems free speech is good until it isn't.

I'm not complaining about it. I'm just stating what happens as a result of their focusing on it. I'm complaining about people that start bashing entire populations based on a report of one person engaged in aberrant behaviour. For sure, there's plenty of Thai-bashing on this forum, but because we are in Thailand, they don't need the help of news reports to start the ball rolling.

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

I'm not complaining about it. I'm just stating what happens as a result of their focusing on it. I'm complaining about people that start bashing entire populations based on a report of one person engaged in aberrant behaviour. For sure, there's plenty of Thai-bashing on this forum, but because we are in Thailand, they don't need the help of news reports to start the ball rolling.

I agree. I have also occasionally pointed out that there is no need to bash an entire nation based on the actions of one person. The actions of this person were inexcusable and he deserves derision. Defending him is a lost cause.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

No, I can't concede to what you think bothers the locals. Xenophobes exist as a minority in many cultures but in my worldly travels, I don't see the locals here being worse than say the Japanese or the Koreans.

I get up early and watch the early morning local news on the telly with Yai and believe me, the locals are quite preoccupied with their own ne'erdowells and delinquents. In the grand scheme of things in Thailand, the farangs are quite insignificant.

I agree with your general sentiment that xenophobes exist in all countries but I'd like you to explain why the article was published if you don't believe there is any interest in it.

32 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

... explain why the article was published if you don't believe there is any interest in it.

Simple, look where it came from - a "news" organisation launched by a bar owner/bar manager targeted at expats, not locals.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I agree with your general sentiment that xenophobes exist in all countries but I'd like you to explain why the article was published if you don't believe there is any interest in it.

English language media is a small and fiercely competitive market in Thailand but in common with Thai media, bad news sells.

In this instance (5 pages later) it's farangs that are upset. If pattayanews.com allowed readers comments, it would be 100% foreigners making the same noises as the 100% foreigners on here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

English language media is a small and fiercely competitive market in Thailand but in common with Thai media, bad news sells.

In this instance (5 pages later) it's farangs that are upset. If pattayanews.com allowed readers comments, it would be 100% foreigners making the same noises as the 100% foreigners on here.

I wasn't previously aware this is a farang owned publication started by a bar owner. I won't comment further.

34 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I wasn't previously aware this is a farang owned publication started by a bar owner. I won't comment further.

Not just a bar owner, he is quite successfully diversifying, you might also be unaware there are other outlets in the "news" stable such as The Phuket Express and TPN National News.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1