Get a license to drive

MLFERREIRA

Hello friends, I hope everyone is well.

I'm a newbie here and would like help from friends to solve some doubts about obtaining a driving license.

I am Brazilian and I have been in Thailand since August 2021, being the first year with a tourist visa with several Covid extensions.

Today I have a student visa and I have 1 more year of residence permit.

Last year I tried to start the documentation to get a driver's license, but the Brazilian embassy refused to provide proof of residency, as my visa was a tourist one. I even paid all the fees, but I was denied and they didn't refund my money :(

This year, already with a student visa, I tried a residence certificate with a company in Bangkok (FatBoy Services), but the attendant wasn't very interested in continuing my process, so again I'm trying other options.

My Brazilian driver's license is not international and the expiry date has expired, so I will have to do driving school again. This is not a problem for me.

I don't know if with a student visa I can get proof of address at the embassy again, or if I will need an agent to take care of this documentation.

I prefer to pay an agent to take care of all the paperwork, as the amount the first agent charged me was only 2000 baht for proof of residency and 2500 baht for the driving school process for a car and motorcycle driving license.

Could someone give tips from agents (Samut Prakan, Bangkok region) or a step by step for a DIY?

TIA.

28 minutes ago, MLFERREIRA said:

This year, already with a student visa, I tried a residence certificate with a company in Bangkok (FatBoy Services), but the attendant wasn't very interested in continuing my process

That's because Fatboy is an agent that assists with the application process at the LTD, they cannot provide your residence certificate.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

You could get a certificate of residence in the immigration office, it is technically free of cost but if you insist impolitely they will send it by post to the address you provided, or you could tip them 300/400/500 (different price in different offices) and get the paper instantly and hassle-free.

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MLFERREIRA said:

first agent charged me was only 2000 baht for proof of residency and 2500 baht for the driving school process for a car and motorcycle driving license.

I'm confused; you paid out this money and still no license ? 

• Thumbs Up 1

You can get a Residence Certificate from your provincial Immigration Office for free. However some Immigration Offices (like the one in SiSaKet province) only provide it when you have a 'request form' from the DTP that provides Thai driver permits.  If that is the case also in the province where you are residing, you should first go the DTP where you plan to apply for the Thai drivers permit, and ask them to provide you with such a Residence Certificate request form (it's free of charge).  And with that request form you can get the Residence Certificate from your provincial Immigration Office (free of charge).  Then it's back to the DTP to do the actual application for your Thai drivers permit.   

Last month I went through the process, and I had my 2 Thai drivers permits (one for a car, and one for a motorcycle) provided in less than 1 hour, and it cost me 320,- THB in total. 

All I had to show was:

- My Passport with valid permission to stay (and two pass-photos)

- The Residence Certificate

- A 'health' certificate less than 1 month old (which you can get at most local clinics for 60,- THB)

- My non-expired International Drivers Permit

However, you will not be able to do that, as you do not have a valid International Drivers Permit or - in case your drivers permit is not in english - an Embassy stamped translation of your country's valid drivers permit.  So you will have to go through the whole process of proving - both theoretically and practically - that you are able to drive a car/motorcycle.

Edited by Red Phoenix

15 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

You can get a Residence Certificate from your provincial Immigration Office for free. However some Immigration Offices (like the one in SiSaKet province) only provide it when you have a 'request form' from the DTP that provides Thai driver permits.  If that is the case also in the province where you are residing, you should first go the DTP where you plan to apply for the Thai drivers permit, and ask them to provide you with such a Residence Certificate request form (it's free of charge).  And with that request form you can get the Residence Certificate from your provincial Immigration Office (free of charge).  Then it's back to the DTP to do the actual application for your Thai drivers permit.   

Last month I went through the process, and I had my 2 Thai drivers permits (one for a car, and one for a motorcycle) provided in less than 1 hour, and it cost me 320,- THB in total. 

All I had to show was:

- My Passport with valid permission to stay (and two pass-photos)

- The Residence Certificate

- A 'health' certificate less than 1 month old (which you can get at most local clinics for 60,- THB)

- My non-expired Internal Drivers Permit

However, you will not be able to do that, as you do not have a valid International Drivers Permit or - in case your drivers permit is not in english - an Embassy stamped translation of your country's valid drivers permit.  So you will have to go through the whole process of proving - both theoretically and practically - that you are able to drive a car/motorcycle.

He has NO valid license of any kind.

Find a driving school they should take care of all paperwork needed including the medical. My Thai missus paid 5,500 baht 20hrs of training, their duel controlled car. They pass you then take you to the center to collect the license, unlike the government test center, you can keep trying ALL day till you pass.

This was at Chantharburi though, excellent service no rip offs. They even test you on an open road. 2days training & took test a few days after.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MLFERREIRA said:

I am Brazilian and I have been in Thailand since August 2021, being the first year with a tourist visa with several Covid extensions.

I assume you have not been driving since then. ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

he will have to go through the whole process of applying for a Thai Driver's Permit and taking the theoretical and practical exams.

The driving test does not have a "theoretical test", the tests are real, they exist!  The Thai driving test consists of theory and practical tests.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

17 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The driving test does not have a "theoretical test", the tests are real, they exist!  The Thai driving test consists of theory and practical tests.

Corrected by the Grammar Police

Comment posted with a bit of humour...notice the exclamation mark...but never mind.

Edited by Liverpool Lou