Driving licence renewal? DLT takes walk-in applications from now on

webfact

As mentioned this is old news, but I still had to to book an appointment when I applied for my plastic card last month. 

I have been enjoying the organization of online booking and queue systems at various government offices, it’s a shame to turn back now.

I went through the DLT a couple of times last year to either renew or apply for licenses, in and out within the hour - then in previous years, you would need to join the snaking queue at 7.30 am and spend the best part of a day waiting. 

Edited by recom273

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

As mentioned this is old news, but I still had to to book an appointment when I applied for my plastic card last month.

Me too... IN Pattaya... I was booked a week after I went to book my appointment. BTW, the e-learning test sucks and it is quite confusing seeing how there are two trainings to choose from. In a nutshell, if you have to do it, choose the one on the left and watch out for the pop-up questions that just show up randomly. These pop-up questions will also be asked at the end of the test to see if you pass or not. 

Some of the answers weren't even in the video.

Depends on the office.  Did my renewal for another 5 yr, and had to book an appointment.   Along with the advantage of the e-learning for watching the vid.  Or, go right to the 'questions' and bypass the vid.

Quite happy for that system, as made the actual issuing of the license a breeze.  In & out as fast as the process should take, no real waiting at all.

That was the most efficient gov't office I've ever been to.  Aside from local 90 day pulse check, where I'm usually the only one there.  Though doing online now, I think.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

My 5 year car + motorbike licences are up for renewal next year. Besides the e-learning test, are there any other extras?

All I did was peripheral vision and colour. Never did a video even though it was mentioned by members here 4 years ago. It might be relevant that I chose the division centre in west Bangkok.

The hardest part was hanging around for 3 hours to get the licence created by their machines. The centre was busy. As well all government departments I always go late as by then the crowds have generally dispersed. 

1 minute ago, Gaccha said:

All I did was peripheral vision and colour

Seems to depend on what machine is defect or not ????

Years ago there was color blindness and reaction test.

Watch some people at reaction and wouldn't want to have them driving behind me ????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pouatchee said:

Me too... IN Pattaya... I was booked a week after I went to book my appointment. BTW, the e-learning test sucks and it is quite confusing seeing how there are two trainings to choose from. In a nutshell, if you have to do it, choose the one on the left and watch out for the pop-up questions that just show up randomly. These pop-up questions will also be asked at the end of the test to see if you pass or not. 

LOL - You know you don't have to get the answers correct?

I had the same 3 question popups, I think it was 3 times.

I got the same one wrong every time , basically because I didn't read the question. I wasn't expecting the same questions to appear - in the end I got 6/9 - I think the missus did worse than me. You still get the QR code pass.

3 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

My 5 year car + motorbike licences are up for renewal next year. Besides the e-learning test, are there any other extras?

All I did was peripheral vision and colour. Never did a video even though it was mentioned by members here 4 years ago. It might be relevant that I chose the division centre in west Bangkok.

The hardest part was hanging around for 3 hours to get the licence created by their machines. The centre was busy. As well all government departments I always go late as by then the crowds have generally dispersed. 

Because of risk of covid contamination, there is no perepheral vision, or distance assessment (the one where you stop the moving drinking straws when they are level) - Its just reaction test, with the brake pedal and colourblindness -

Then there is an learning video - just watch it at home and get your QE code pass, you might need to watch it twice for your two licenses.

https://dlt-elearning.com

Then just go to the DLT - its a doddle - if your DLT has done away with the queuing system, then just walk in with your witchdoctors certificate and your away.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Because of risk of covid contamination, there is no perepheral vision, or distance assessment (the one where you stop the moving drinking straws when they are level) - Its just reaction test, with the brake pedal and colourblindness -

Then there is an learning video - just watch it at home and get your QE code pass, you might need to watch it twice for your two licenses.

Then just go to the DLT - its a doddle - if your DLT has done away with the queuing system, then just walk in with your witchdoctors certificate and your away.

I had both test administered last week or so, on renewal;  peripheral & depth perception.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I had both test administered last week or so, on renewal;  peripheral & depth perception.

Sorry, I was a bit definitive - I did mine last month and there was only the two I mentioned, when I asked why, 6 months prior, this was what I was told - I should have said, depending upon the test center and used "has been" and "wasn't".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

So we can walk in and get convert our overseas licence with an IDP on the same day now to get the temp 2 year licence?

It would be nice to think so.... but my recollection of pre-appointment days, was you had to get there early... a limited number of foreigners were allowed to enter. If 'she who  must be obeyed' decided you needed another copy....by the time you got back, it was 'come back tomorrow'......

You would need a residence certificate and medical certificate too.

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

So we can walk in and get convert our overseas licence with an IDP on the same day now to get the temp 2 year licence?

Don't forget to take all the necessary documents, e.g. Dr's letter and others that will have to accompany your IDP and overseas drivers license.

4 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

On the longer videos (there are 4) they come up 7 minutes in, and at the end. Always the same questions. You must print out the QR code you get saying you passed.

3 hours ago, recom273 said:

At the Pattaya DLT office they were still running a booking system 6 weeks ago. I renewed both 5 year licences. It was anything but a doddle. Make sure you get a stack of photos. The normal is 8 at the copy shops. This was my experience:

To be shown at DLT prior to booking:

1 Residence certificate from immigration, requiring

2 photos;

a completed application form;

copy and possibly original, of lease/rental agreement/other means of establishing an address in Thailand; 2 signed copies of the passport details page, current visa page and last entry to Thailand page;

your passport.

2 medical certs

Previous licences 

2 copies of previous licences front and back 

Passport

2 copies of passport details and visa pages

Print out of pass certificate with QR code from video

For a 5 year renewal you don't need your home driving licence.

Getting the res cert takes 2 trips to immigration. In Pattaya it was same day service.

First trip to DLT, to make booking, get there early, 0745 maybe, get queue number, get documents checked, book date for tests, mugshot, payments.

Return on booking date, with any missing documents, early. Get queue number. Hand in documents. Go inside. Get tested. Pay. Get mugshot. Get licence.

Of course this won't apply if they really have scrapped the booking system. Getting to DLT and back on a scooter is not much fun either.

YMMV big time!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

That will be a godsend for many.

Or...just an extremely overdue action that is finally being reimplemented. Should have been changed back long ago...but better late than never, I guess. 

• Like 1

strange, I am already used to this walk in for renewal for the last 20 yrs at my Rong Kuang DLT station. as their english is not that good(nor is my thai) and on purpose I go alone, thus any trial to get me for a test goes stray and it results with some gestures of give him a slip on the test, just colorblind , reaction and depth of sight test and I am done.

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

At the Pattaya DLT office they were still running a booking system 6 weeks ago. I renewed both 5 year licences. It was anything but a doddle. Make sure you get a stack of photos. The normal is 8 at the copy shops. This was my experience:

To be shown at DLT prior to booking:

1 Residence certificate from immigration, requiring

2 photos;

a completed application form;

copy and possibly original, of lease/rental agreement/other means of establishing an address in Thailand; 2 signed copies of the passport details page, current visa page and last entry to Thailand page;

your passport.

2 medical certs

Previous licences 

2 copies of previous licences front and back 

Passport

2 copies of passport details and visa pages

Print out of pass certificate with QR code from video

For a 5 year renewal you don't need your home driving licence.

Getting the res cert takes 2 trips to immigration. In Pattaya it was same day service.

First trip to DLT, to make booking, get there early, 0745 maybe, get queue number, get documents checked, book date for tests, mugshot, payments.

Return on booking date, with any missing documents, early. Get queue number. Hand in documents. Go inside. Get tested. Pay. Get mugshot. Get licence.

Of course this won't apply if they really have scrapped the booking system. Getting to DLT and back on a scooter is not much fun either.

YMMV big time!

Man, I feel for you guys.

My certificate of residence is free, it takes 15 mins.

The doctors certificate is 50B, this is the first time I haven't been charged double.

When I renewed my bike license, they asked for two copies of my old DL, front and rear, copy of the doc certificate, copy of the certificate of residence - I think I may have prepared 2 copies of my passport data page, visa, entry stamp and latest extension.

They took the originals, and asked me why I had two copies. I can't recall if they took the passport copies, but if they did, it was just one set.

For the renewal, I had already booked online, the appointment was within a week of application, so it was a matter of checking in - doing the color and braking test, photo, in and out within the hour.

For my first car license, I did some Mickey Mouse 2 day course in a driving school, 3000B, they issued me with a certificate and prepared all my paperwork for me. I booked my place online, again, within a week, checked in, (no need for any tests, they had the machines at the driving school, but they just smiled when I asked if I should do or not) I paid, photo, out the door - 30 mins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

Man, I feel for you guys.

My certificate of residence is free, it takes 15 mins.

The doctors certificate is 50B, this is the first time I haven't been charged double.

When I renewed my bike license, they asked for two copies of my old DL, front and rear, copy of the doc certificate, copy of the certificate of residence - I think I may have prepared 2 copies of my passport data page, visa, entry stamp and latest extension.

They took the originals, and asked me why I had two copies. I can't recall if they took the passport copies, but if they did, it was just one set.

For the renewal, I had already booked online, the appointment was within a week of application, so it was a matter of checking in - doing the color and braking test, photo, in and out within the hour.

For my first car license, I did some Mickey Mouse 2 day course in a driving school, 3000B, they issued me with a certificate and prepared all my paperwork for me. I booked my place online, again, within a week, checked in, (no need for any tests, they had the machines at the driving school, but they just smiled when I asked if I should do or not) I paid, photo, out the door - 30 mins.

Certificate of residence is not free. It might take 15 minutes to process, but it's an hour in a queue at Jomtien, then it's come back after 2pm to collect.

Pretty sure there's no online booking system except for Thais.

When and where might make a big difference.

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So no more booking appointments months out. That will be a godsend for many.

Well, I looked at the Thai Rath article. It's in Thai, but a copy and paste into a translator seems to tell a different story. Sure, it's walk in, but it's walk in in order to book an appointment, after they've checked your documents, and quite possibly weeks later. The smart queuing app is for Thais only I believe. You need a Thai ID to register.

Seems out in the sticks and other DLT offices apart from the Pattaya/Chonburi one, it's a completely different story.

Edited by bradiston

35 minutes ago, bradiston said:

This link was posted above https://gecc.dlt.go.th

Hint, you get a 404 unless you delete anything in the url after go.th/

It now seems to accept foreigners to register with passport number, haven't actually tried yet because I don't want to jinx it by registering before I am ready to go...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DodgerRodger said:

This link was posted above https://gecc.dlt.go.th

Hint, you get a 404 unless you delete anything in the url after go.th/

It now seems to accept foreigners to register with passport number, haven't actually tried yet because I don't want to jinx it by registering before I am ready to go...

Ok, I tried and succeeded in registering. The link you posted has hidden text which you need to delete. So copy the link and paste it into your browser but edit out the "/register" bit. Then it takes you to the DLT page. Seems only some offices offer the online system. Banglamung doesn't as yet but Sri Racha does. There's a map and lists. I got lens to translate the infographic. The lists are much more specific. Type in a province and it gives you the online active offices.

Screenshot_2023-01-18-20-27-51-066_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

Certificate of residence is not free. It might take 15 minutes to process, but it's an hour in a queue at Jomtien, then it's come back after 2pm to collect.

When and where might make a big difference.

What are you talking about? I don’t live in Pattaya, the post I was replying to doesn’t mention where he comes from. The certificate of residence is free in Khon Kaen, it was free in Hat Yai too.

Here is the link to the DLT online booking system - it’s not exclusive to Thai people because I used it in December. 

https://gecc.dlt.go.th

You need to enter the addy manually because it doesn’t work. 

Edited by recom273