where can I make a visa card cash advance like at BKK Bank Kad Suan Kaew?

cubism001

Before Kad Suan Kaew shopping mall closed, Bangkok Bank had a service: the clerk would look at your passport, your visa debit card & run it through their machine, giving you a few thousand baht at much less than a visa machine costs.   ($1-2) Where do I go now to get this done?  I did an ATM & it was 220 baht plus ancillary fees, some in the US.  Help. Thanks.

I have used three different BKK bank branches to do both Visa and MasterCard cash advances with no fees on either end (debit cards that charge no foreign transaction fees).  I have not yet been refused at a BKK bank branch.

Just try any other BKK bank branch.  I know neither Kasikorn or SCB offer the debit card cash advance option.

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2023 at 8:09 PM, gamb00ler said:

I have used three different BKK bank branches to do both Visa and MasterCard cash advances with no fees on either end (debit cards that charge no foreign transaction fees).  I have not yet been refused at a BKK bank branch.

Just try any other BKK bank branch.  I know neither Kasikorn or SCB offer the debit card cash advance option.

Can you share what banks debit card are best for “no fees”…….I’m from Australia.

7 hours ago, mikey88 said:

Doesn’t every bank do cash advances on any Visa cards…??

on Chatona RD there’s BKK, Kasikorn, SCB etc…

That's probably true in USA or Canada.... but not here in Thailand.

I know that Kasikorn and SCB do not offer cash advances because I went in and asked.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mikey88 said:

Can you share what banks debit card are best for “no fees”…….I’m from Australia.

I don't have information on what Australian card issuers offer.  There is a site (nerdwallet.com) that collects and analyzes what banks and other financial services company offer to US customers.  Perhaps you can find a site that has the information you seek regarding Australian banks.

13 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

That's probably true in USA or Canada.... but not here in Thailand.

I know that Kasikorn and SCB do not offer cash advances because I went in and asked.

Is that their nationwide policy or just the few branches you inquired at?

You won't get counter service at most UK bank branches unless you've already got an account with them and some insist on you making an appointment to ask a simple question.

In Thailand, a lot of busy bank branches in shopping malls will decline to do them and refer customers to the ATM in the lobby or outside. This despite being the branch where the account is held or having Foreign Exchange signage.

YMMV

TiT

Edited by NanLaew

I tried to get cash from my (U.S.) Visa debit card at the Bangkok Bank on Tae Pae Road, and was told that they couldn't do it.  Only a Visa credit card was acceptable.  I'd not tried the debit card at other banks, but this one wouldn't allow it.

4 hours ago, MrBrad said:

I tried to get cash from my (U.S.) Visa debit card at the Bangkok Bank on Tae Pae Road, and was told that they couldn't do it.  Only a Visa credit card was acceptable.  I'd not tried the debit card at other banks, but this one wouldn't allow it.

It's not at all unusual for staff to just say it can't be done instead of: "Let me find out how to do this or if it can be done"

The same machine that performs credit card cash advances is used to perform debit card advances.  Visa and Mastercard process both types so the capability is not at all determined by the bank.  The Thai bank may have policies that prevent such debit card transactions but I rate that as quite unlikely.

• Thanks 1