Limit on number of months you can stay per year as a tourist?

I have heard this said and seen some sites saying it, but the information may be outdated or inaccurate. If you go in and out as a tourist several times, is there a limit to the total amount  of days or months you can stay per year ( or per 6 months)  in Thailand? 

I was in for about 42 days in October to early December, then out for 2 weeks, and am back from late December until early February . I was thinking of returning in late March. I will have stayed in Thailand for a total of about  86 days  from late October through  Feb 3. 

Would there be any issue with me returning for another visa exempt entry in late March? Would a land crossing as opposed to flying in make any difference ( I flew in both previous times) 

Thanks 

Edited by dtag

The limit (6 months in a year or 180 days) has been long ago removed, bbbbbbbbuuuuuuuuuttttttttttt

If you enter many times on Visa Exempt expect a thorough questioning by the IO at the airport, and yes they can refuse you Entry if they believe that you are not a real tourist.

Better is for your trip in March to get a Tourist Visa and not go Visa Exempt, but YMMV

There is no official limit (and never has been). However, some immigration officials dislike the whole idea of long stay tourism, which they believe should not exist. They can try to suggest that you cannot really be a tourist if you stay very long periods, and ought to have some other visa rather than your status as a tourist. There are no legal mechanisms for them to enforce their prejudices.

In most cases, you may be hassled at some airports, but will not be denied entry if you use actual tourist visas. With visa exempt entries, the officials has discretion, and it is appropriate for them to use that discretion, to prevent you using visa exemptions to live indefinitely in Thailand. When you have actual visas, determining whether you are a legitimate long stay tourist should be the responsibility of the embassy/consulate. The immigration official has no business deciding he will not honour the visa. That said, those a very long time in Thailand as a tourist (with only short gaps) have been known to be denied entry on bogus grounds.

Especially if entering with actual tourist visas, you definitely do not need to worry until you have been over six months in Thailand over the previous year. At some airports (notably Chiang Mai) there have never been reports of inappropriate denial of entry to those with visas, regardless of your prior history of stays as a tourist. Just be aware that both Bangkok airports, and some others, could be problematic under some circumstances.

I flew in last week on a 60 day tourist visa and got questioned by the IO at Phuket airport.

My recent travel history: 'Jan 2022 > April 2022 (90 days)', then back to UK for summer, 'Oct > Dec (80 days)', back to UK for 3 weeks for Christmas / NY, and arrived again on 60 day tourist visa which I will extend for 30 more. All visits on tourist visa, not exemptions.

She asked "what are you doing in Thailand?" to which I replied "I'm a tourist". She then asked how long I intend to stay. I said 90 days and she then asked for evidence of my outbound flight. I didn't have a print out and was struggling to find the email on my phone. After about 5 minutes of me failing to find the email she stamped me in and I was on my way. 

I've only been questioned once before and this was also at Phuket airport, maybe 4 years ago (did not visit for 2 years due to covid). 

• Like 1

To give you some insight:

I came in on a Visa exempt and extended it for 30 days.
Then I left and came back two weeks later.
This time the entry was for 45 days and I extended for 30 days.
I'm leaving again later this month and will be away for three weeks.
I'll be coming back in on another tourist visa after that, but won't be extending as have to be somewhere else after that for a month.
The reason for all this bouncing in and out is that I'm waiting to go on a retirement visa in June.
I've already got a rental contract here for a year, and the landlord has registered me with a TM30.
I feel that if you stick to the rules of entry, extension and a reasonable time away (say 2-3 weeks) then you should be ok.

That being said, my reasons for being here for the intention of retirement are honest and I assume valid enough for an inquisitive IO. 
If you are in your 20s or 30s I think you might want to have a fairly robust reason as you why you are here.

Freddie.

Edited by FreddieMercury

Just for the sake of the argument, what is a "valid" reason for staying long term with a tourist visa? I mean some people save up alot of money and want to travel as a tourist. I used to work 6 months in my home country and spend 6 months here, just as an example.

If there are no clear guidelines about the length of stay - then they shouldnt give people a hard time either. I don´t understand the logic, would much rather prefer some proper rules instead of playing guessing games every time I want to enter the country.

Edited by raz0r21
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My thoughts on 'valid' would be a story backed up with verifiable facts.
In my case that would be proof of funds and income.
Copies of relevant correspondence with real estate brokers etc while touring the country trying out different places.
There are indeed a lot of grey areas here and in other places in relation to proper rules.

Edited by FreddieMercury

3 hours ago, FreddieMercury said:

My thoughts on 'valid' would be a story backed up with verifiable facts.
In my case that would be proof of funds and income.
Copies of relevant correspondence with real estate brokers etc while touring the country trying out different places.
There are indeed a lot of grey areas here and in other places in relation to proper rules.

I can prove that I work in a different country and pay tax there, even if its done online. Can also show my income per year if its needed. I guess that will help.

4 minutes ago, raz0r21 said:

I can prove that I work in a different country and pay tax there, even if its done online. Can also show my income per year if its needed. I guess that will help.

I'm not sure that would help to be honest. It may raise more questions. I can prove the same things but the truth is I do also work when I'm in Thailand - but online, running my own e-commerce business. So I'm not a real 'tourist'. It's a grey area.

I've been splitting my time between the UK and Thailand since 2015 (aside from 2 year gap due to covid) and have only been questioned twice. It's not a nice experience and I'd prefer if there were set rules, but there aren't.

I'm going to get a new passport when I'm back in the UK this summer. I know they have everything logged on the computer system, but I don't think having a passport full of visas and extension stamps helps. I think this gives them a reason to 'look me up' on the system. 

• Like 1

I'm in my 40s not working for the short term, doing some slower living/ travel after a tough few years. Lived in Thailand a few times before with work visas pre - Covid. Because of familiarity with the language and culture , Thailand would be the easiest place for me to stay for a while. I recognize that I can't really do that unless I get a work or education visa though. Would be nice to be able to come in and out while I am visiting other SE Asian countries without having to worry about the mood of the IO I happen to hand my passport to. 

It is what it is. I'll get the tourist visa ahead if I think I want to come back in March, or I will just stay gone longer. 

1 hour ago, raz0r21 said:

Absolutely proves that you have an income but as someone else has said. It raises questions about what kind of work you do and if the whole online thing is ok in Thailand. More grey areas.

Edited by FreddieMercury

49 minutes ago, Timbob said:

I'm not sure that would help to be honest. It may raise more questions. I can prove the same things but the truth is I do also work when I'm in Thailand - but online, running my own e-commerce business. So I'm not a real 'tourist'. It's a grey area.

I've been splitting my time between the UK and Thailand since 2015 (aside from 2 year gap due to covid) and have only been questioned twice. It's not a nice experience and I'd prefer if there were set rules, but there aren't.

I'm going to get a new passport when I'm back in the UK this summer. I know they have everything logged on the computer system, but I don't think having a passport full of visas and extension stamps helps. I think this gives them a reason to 'look me up' on the system. 

The minute they swipe your passport, everything is in front of them including images of your previous passports, and a list of all your visits.
Have a quick look back at the screens next time you've cleared.

My wife commented on seeing my marked loss of hair across the images of three passports and 30 years of travel to Thailand.

Edited by FreddieMercury
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FreddieMercury said:

My wife commented on seeing my marked loss of hair across the images of three passports and 30 years of travel to Thailand.

Now that's funny.  ????

My wife would not have been able to resist commenting the same.....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Timbob said:

yeah, i agree that its a grey area. I suppose its better to have some kind of proof of income tho, compared to the alternative which is working illegally in thailand. 

Yup also changed passport last year, my old one was filled with stamps. But they add up quick....

Edited by raz0r21
  • Like 2

anyway, to continue this subject a bit further. I have contacted a muay thai gym in Bangkok about an ED-visa, and its a legit place that requires me to train 3x a week, so I will consider it as an alternative.

The costs are about the same as learning thai, around 40-50k baht for a year or so. The upside is they have morning and afternoon classes to choose from, and you dont have to spend several hours there compared to a classroom. 

• Like 1