Consecutive borders runs

Please could someone confirm if it's true that as a UK national I should be fine to 2 border runs in a 12 month period (by land or air), obtaining a visa exemption upon entry each time?

If so, please could you also let me know if it's ok to do these 2 border runs consecutively in a row / back to back?

Thanks

8 minutes ago, bongojules said:

If so, please could you also let me know if it's ok to do these 2 border runs consecutively in a row / back to back

Yes you can however the amount of hassle may come down to the amount of time that you have spent in Thailand in recent times. 

Also the amount of time between visits. 

Outside your recent history in Thailand for better advice. 

By air, there is no fixed limit to the number of border runs and visa exemptions that are permitted. By land, you are entitled to two visa exempt entries per calendar year. Thus, any you received last year are now irrelevant. You can still get two in 2023. With a visa, you can , in principle, enter Thailand as many times as you like whether by air, land or sea. However, some immigration officials at some entry points do not like long stay tourists, and might create problems if you have spent long periods in Thailand as a tourist.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

However, some immigration officials at some entry points do not like long stay tourists, and might create problems if you have spent long periods in Thailand as a tourist.

Most likely, those "problems" will be in the form of questioning without any consequences. They do this to many frequent visitors, although only a tiny number of them gets a real problem, like denied entry.

• Like 2

I just had trouble getting into DMK with a tourist visa from penang and I had been out of the country for a full month too in two different countries. But still taken away for questioning and providing documents. Ultimately I got in, but its really unsettling. It has me looking for other countries to go to. Too much hassle and stress for a normal tourist. Also they put my onward flight in the computer, what is that meaning?

Edited by at15
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, at15 said:

I just had trouble getting into DMK with a tourist visa from penang and I had been out of the country for a full month too in two different countries. But still taken away for questioning and providing documents. Ultimately I got in, but its really unsettling.

How long have you been in Thailand before this over the last one or two years?

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

However, some immigration officials at some entry points do not like long stay tourists, and might create problems if you have spent long periods in Thailand as a tourist.

Right!

Whatever any other poster's experience, it's always down to the individual immigration officer to decide what is acceptable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, at15 said:

I just had trouble getting into DMK with a tourist visa from penang and I had been out of the country for a full month too in two different countries. But still taken away for questioning and providing documents. Ultimately I got in, but its really unsettling. It has me looking for other countries to go to. Too much hassle and stress for a normal tourist. Also they put my onward flight in the computer, what is that meaning?

What is that meaning?

Immigration don't like tourists staying in LOS too long as the suspicion is that they are working illegally.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What is that meaning?

Immigration don't like tourists staying in LOS too long as the suspicion is that they are working illegally.

I would think leaving for a month several times per year then coming back thats a legit tourist, what job in thailand would allow that ?

Edited by at15
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, at15 said:

I would think leaving for a month several times per year then coming back thats a legit tourist, what job in thailand would allow that ?

There are quite a number of jobs that are possible with extended breaks. Some examples are (i) English teaching, where you can be engaged on and off to teach specific groups or individual students (schools love that: no work permit complications, and engaging and dropping teachers as demand fluctuates); and (ii) dive masters, where there are often distinct seasons where your services are needed. Apart from that, some may work on an informal basis, doing almost anything for which they have the skills.

That does not mean that I support immigration officials who simply assume (without evidence) that someone cannot just be in Thailand for pleasure because they have been here so long.

• Like 2