This will take you back ! How many do you remember ?

Social Media

9 minutes ago, RayWright said:

If we're now talking nostalgic British Ads, then none finer than Ridley Scott's Hovis Ad from 1973, with Collery Brass Band playing Dvorak's New World Symphony.

Ey up, chip butty wi' scraps, it's bloody maftin' it is.

Filmed in Dorset, I believe, though tha might a thowt it were Yaarksha. ????

• Haha 1

On 1/20/2023 at 12:35 PM, rickudon said:

At the grandparents... visiting was an experience ...... outside toilet, no light (remember to take the torch), Izal if you were lucky, newspaper if not. Yes, tin bath and a clothes horse for modesty. some lights were gas..... but modernity had arrived, there was a black and white TV, but only one channel (BBC).

Food. The dreaded mince beef, boiled potatoes and cabbage once a week. Cold fatty lamb from Sunday lunch on a Monday. And sugar sandwiches (needed butter, margarine just wouldn't cut it). And Polo mints.

Up to 1967, my Grandma's house had no electricity - lighting by gas, hot water provided by the 'copper', outside toilet at the bottom of the garden. And that was in London, less than 2 miles from the Houses of Parliament.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/19/2023 at 2:54 PM, Freddy42OZ said:

Working class people food. Hardly a culinary masterpiece.  

I can honestly say I've never, nor will I ever, eaten crisps or French fries in a sandwich.  

And I can honestly say you have no idea what you have missed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/19/2023 at 5:13 AM, Muhendis said:

A what!?

'Tis a chip butty. Never could see the sense of it but many loved 'em.

Now I am but a crazy American, but....

My time in the UK introduced me to crisp sandwiches, chip butties and much more importantly curry sauce and chips from the local chippy.

That stuff should on a world heritage list!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/19/2023 at 8:09 AM, daveAustin said:

And, thankfully, being a ‘70s boy never had to slum it with outdoor loos like you baby boomers. ????

My grand parents lived in Tulse hill London , as a small chap my mum often in the school hols. took us to visit and I still remember looking out of the carriage window at the tin baths hanging on the outside bogs. Imagine having to go down the garden path to get the tin bath with the snow falling.

EE when I were a lad eh.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 10:32 AM, Orinoco said:

18 of them. :giggle:

IZAL toilet paper the worst in the world.

Nasty business, way to hard, sandpaper would have worked better.  most uk schools used it. :bah:

I don't remember the brand my NZ school used, but it was like interlocking leaves of greaseproof paper. Awful stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/21/2023 at 1:35 AM, rickudon said:

At the grandparents... visiting was an experience ...... outside toilet, no light (remember to take the torch), Izal if you were lucky, newspaper if not. Yes, tin bath and a clothes horse for modesty. some lights were gas..... but modernity had arrived, there was a black and white TV, but only one channel (BBC).

Food. The dreaded mince beef, boiled potatoes and cabbage once a week. Cold fatty lamb from Sunday lunch on a Monday. And sugar sandwiches (needed butter, margarine just wouldn't cut it). And Polo mints.

A favourite tv series of mine set in 1950s Yorkshire was like looking at post WW1, and talking about food, the evening meal in military camp I was stationed at in NZ had mutton, boiled potatoes and silverbeet every day ( We did have over 30 million sheep then, so the mutton was explainable, but not the silverbeet ). However, one delightful dessert was made entirely from sugar icing sandwiched between thin layers of pastry- yummy.