Hamline University professor who lost job over Muhammad art sues

Scott

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Are you suggesting Woke ideology does not exist? That's some incredible gaslighting, even by your standards.

Don't like the story so attack the source? OK, how about the OFS themselves? Are they rightwing extremists as well?

https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk/news-blog-and-events/press-and-media/almost-200-speakers-rejected-at-english-universities-and-colleges-in-2020-21/

image.png.e8966ba612342bdefc377cdea5e1affa.png

I’m saying ‘woke ideology’ is a fabrication of rightwing culture wars.

Opinions differ, which is why you’ve now switched from looking for back-up from a rightwing rag to a blog.

The subject dismissal is clearly an over response to the fear mongering around Muslim sensibilities not at all linked to the rightwing culture war ‘woke ideology’ you are attempting to wedge into the discussion.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It's not ideology. It could be more accurately described as education. Higher levels of education are closely associated with "woke" attitudes. Ever wondered why universites tend to be liberal?

Education? Indoctrination would be more accurate.

I've already posted a link to Thomas Sowell that explains why Universities tend to be left wing. I suggest you watch it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Ok, so the USA being more violent than France should not concern teachers of repercussions. Second, the number of school shootings in the USA should not concern university professors.

Got it. 

Linked to the fired Professor showing a class artwork depicting the Prophet Mohammed how?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Education? Indoctrination would be more accurate.

I've already posted a link to Thomas Sowell that explains why Universities tend to be left wing. I suggest you watch it. 

Thomas Sowell (firmly on the rightwing) provides his explanation, not the explanation of an assertion that is not demonstrated to be true.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m saying ‘woke ideology’ is a fabrication of rightwing culture wars.

Opinions differ, which is why you’ve now switched from looking for back-up from a rightwing rag to a blog.

The subject dismissal is clearly an over response to the fear mongering around Muslim sensibilities not at all linked to the rightwing culture war ‘woke ideology’ you are attempting to wedge into the discussion.

The 'blog' has direct quotes from the OFS. Your constant attempts to attack the source are not only boring and repetitive, but ineffective.

How about The Guardian? Is the source left wing enough for you?

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/sep/09/universities-in-england-favour-cancel-culture-over-quality-says-williamson

image.png.6dba25b642204ef89f91a1baca1b2c44.png

image.png.18c128781307c5135975d4dacbf41209.png

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Actually, Muslims are free to dislike it. Just as other Americans are free to dislike activities they disagree with. Those other unhappy Americans can move elsewhere, too, right?

Yes of course, anyone can move wherever they like! Point is non Muslim Americans who dislike pictures of Mohammad are unlikely to complain to the College authorities, they would just dislike it and likely forget it, however I suspect they would be very few?

• Like 1

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Thomas Sowell (firmly on the rightwing provides his explanation, not the explanation of an assertion that is not demonstrated to be true.

Funny I always thought Sowell was a real liberal, but there you go, you label him 'right wing' so therefore what he says is not true, just his explanation.  Right wing is always wrong to you so that must mean he is wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The 'blog' has direct quotes from the OFS. Your constant attempts to attack the source are not only boring and repetitive, but ineffective.

How about The Guardian? Is the source left wing enough for you?

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/sep/09/universities-in-england-favour-cancel-culture-over-quality-says-williamson

image.png.6dba25b642204ef89f91a1baca1b2c44.png

image.png.18c128781307c5135975d4dacbf41209.png

The Guardian correctly reporting the statements of Tory MP (rightwing) Gavin Williamson, demonstrating once again the rightwing engagement in their ‘woke ideology’ culture wars.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, proton said:

Funny I always thought Sowell was a real liberal, but there you go, you label him 'right wing' so therefore what he says is not true, just his explanation.  Right wing is always wrong to you so that must mean he is wrong.

You should perhaps read up on his work and the views he has expressed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, proton said:

He is liberal in the classic sense of the word.

Unfortunately, "progressives" have hijacked the word and now to be described as a Liberal means something completely different to the original meaning of the word. Now, it generally revolves around shutting down free speech, cancelling opposition voices and being generally unpleasant to (and putting inaccurate labels on) anyone who disagrees with you.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The Guardian correctly reporting the statements of Tory MP (rightwing) Gavin Williamson, demonstrating once again the rightwing engagement in their ‘woke ideology’ culture wars.

Are the OFS "right wing"? 

I already linked to their views. But you didn't like the websites that quoted directly from them ????. Simple deflectionary tactics because you don't like to acknowledge their very clear message.

7 minutes ago, proton said:

And yet you just labelled him a liberal.

Perhaps returning to the topic of discussion rather than trying to wedge off topic subjects into the discussion might help you avoid such confusion.

Liberals in this thread have made clear statements that they support the dismissed Professor.

The Professor’s dismissal is not a product of any ‘left wing bias’.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Are the OFS "right wing"? 

I already linked to their views. But you didn't like the websites that quoted directly from them ????. Simple deflectionary tactics because you don't like to acknowledge their very clear message.

You’ve linked the Daily Mail, a Blog and the Guardian.

OFS Link?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

And yet the individual who liked your post claims Woke ideology doesn't exist. Strange then, that she liked a post claiming it is a form of critical thinking. So which is it?

I don't believe Woke is a form of critical thinking, neither do I believe it is a fabrication by the right. Critical thinking relies on facts and evidence. Woke ideology is a tool to silence those who disagree with your extreme leftist views. It oftens takes the form of screaming "Racist" at someone even if the conversation has nothing to do with race ????.

It's not an ideology, It's an attitude and awareness. Can it lead to intolerance at some occasions? Maybe. However, it is basically about critical thinking, I.e. having a critical view of institutions, laws, infrastructures, etc...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And yet you just labelled him a liberal.

Perhaps returning to the topic of discussion rather than trying to wedge off topic subjects into the discussion might help you avoid such confusion.

Liberals in this thread have made clear statements that they support the dismissed Professor.

The Professor’s dismissal is not a product of any ‘left wing bias’.

I made a clear distinction between the classic sense of the word, and the way it is now used in 2023.

Your inability to understand the difference is not my concern.

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

He is liberal in the classic sense of the word.

Unfortunately, "progressives" have hijacked the word and now to be described as a Liberal means something completely different to the original meaning of the word. Now, it generally revolves around shutting down free speech, cancelling opposition voices and being generally unpleasant to (and putting inaccurate labels on) anyone who disagrees with you.  

You’ve just given an example of an attempt to hijacking  the meaning of the word ‘Liberal’ by adding your own biased definition.

You are surely having a laugh:

Now, it [to be described as a Liberal ] generally revolves around shutting down free speech, cancelling opposition voices and being generally unpleasant to (and putting inaccurate labels on) anyone who disagrees with you.

You’re accusations read an awful lot like confessions.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

I made a clear distinction between the classic sense of the word, and the way it is now used in 2023.

Your inability to understand the difference is not my concern.

The way you, and many on the rightwing choose to define the word.

I absolutely understand the difference, which is why I call it out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You’ve linked the Daily Mail, a Blog and the Guardian.

OFS Link?

Yes, here it is again since you missed it on page 1. OFS stands for Office For Students. Jeez ????

https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk/news-blog-and-events/press-and-media/almost-200-speakers-rejected-at-english-universities-and-colleges-in-2020-21/

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

The way you, and many on the rightwing choose to define the word.

I absolutely understand the difference, which is why I call it out.

Modern day "Liberals" are often anything but Liberal. Many have a disturbingly authoritarian streak in them. Trudeau is a good example.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Yes of course, anyone can move wherever they like! Point is non Muslim Americans who dislike pictures of Mohammad are unlikely to complain to the College authorities, they would just dislike it and likely forget it, however I suspect they would be very few?

Christian Americans have an extensive record of trying to impose (and actually imposing) their religious beliefs to the education system.

For example, Christian Americans have been pushing for years (and still are) to impose the teaching of creationism and to hinder the teaching of evolutionism. It's a much larger phenomenon, and It's not the only one.

Edited by candide
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, candide said:

Christian Americans have an extensive record of trying to impose (and actually imposing) their religious beliefs to the education system.

For example, Christian Americans have been pushing for years (and still are) to impose the teaching of creationism and to hinder the teaching of evolutionism. It's a much larger phenomenon, and It's not the only one.

Not arguing, but if they saw a picture or painting of Jesus Christ in a lecture would they complain?????

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Modern day "Liberals" are often anything but Liberal. Many have a disturbingly authoritarian streak in them. Trudeau is a good example.

I think it more correct to state the extreme rightwing and the extreme leftwing are essentially indistinguishable in their quest for authoritarian control.

This is a true in the modern day as it has been in history.

However, there is no indication of leftwing or rightwing ideology playing any part in the decision to dismiss the professor.

I have no superstitions, which is to say I do not subscribe to any Stone or Bronze Age myths. If these things give others comfort, they can knock themselves silly.

I do have one rule, however, that I think should be part of the First Amendment's 'freedom of religion' in the US Constitution:

Your god or gods must be omnipotent, which means if the gods have any problem with what anyone is doing, they alone will take care of it, if it is their 'will'. They do not need any proxy on Earth to do their wet work.

Those humans unwilling to accept that instantly lose tax free status for their places of 'worship' and are dumped into the highest tax bracket and highest property tax bracket.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Perhaps.  But chances are the teacher who showed the picture wouldn't have to worry about being decapitated. 

Nor would any college/university take their complaint as seriously as the one in this discussion.

Not the point of mikeymike100's original example to which I was responding.