Buying land, any insurance for us to maintain sea view ?

I am looking for some advice.

After several months of searching, we finally found a good piece of land.

Everything is great except one thing:

We have a great sea view, and we are allowed to build up to 12 meters.

It's on the mountain, but our plot is pretty flat.

At the same height there are 15 meters in front of us another plot, it's the same level but going downwards the mountain.

As long as nobody is building there, we will never face problems with the view and even if they build there, they still need to go the full 12 meters to block everything.

How are we able to determine if there are some regulations in place, is it certain eventually someone is going to build there, and it's just based on luck if they block the view or ?

If our house is already built, is there a way to prevent them from blocking the view, or it's entirely based on trust ?

Thanks a lot in advance

• Haha 2

If you can build to 12 meters then probably so can the owners of the other plot.

The only guarantee that I am aware of is to buy both plots, which is likely out of the question.

Of course another guarantee, assuming that the other plot doesn't face the same issue with yet another plot in front of it, is to buy that other plot instead.

I am currently looking at a plot of land that has the same potential issue. The only other idea I've come up with so far is to have first refusal on the plot between my first choice plot and the sea view in front of it, at a fixed price. This kind of suits me as I want a "double" plot anyway but don't have the immediate means to buy more than one.

Also remember that, if the limit on your build is 12 meters, that includes the roof. If that roof is pitched, then your actual view to the sea will be from maybe 8 or 9 meters up. If your new neighbour builds even to 7 or 8 meters (and why would they not?) then this will still impede on your view.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see your point.

It's not possible to buy both plots. The plot in question it not for sale.

What you are saying about the 12 meters and the roof is another problem.

We were so happy… finally a good price for a good land, I knew there must be an issue.

Do you think it's even worth it to talk with a lawyer about that ?

There have been multiple court cases of condo owners trying to block construction of a newer condo that will obstruct their view.  They are rarely successful unless they can find some irregularity in the property deed or a violation local density regulations.  Pretty tough to stop a person from building whatever they want on their property as long as it's within local codes.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

so, if I own the empty plot of land and my neighbor, or their representative contacted me expressing their wish that would I mind not building so high as to obstruct their lovely view, my response would be to offer them a price for the land

the only time a lawyer would be useful if they are getting planning permission to build and you have your lawyer go through for anything you can use against them to stop the build

deeds for mountainous area on a slope can be contentious as they must be 'grandfathered' in before they became illegal to be issued with the title deed, maybe there's gap in ownership or paperwork  or irregularity in the deed being issued where it shouldn't have that would have invalidated the deed, but once you go down this route you'd have made an enemy of not just the plot owner but the dodgy officials who facilitated the deal that made it happen in the first place and who know if your plot won't get caught in the same net if you start probing this avenue

45 minutes ago, ThomasSchmidt said:

We talked with a lawyer, the view is going to be blocked eventually.

The guy who tried to sell this to us is a scam.

We are going to put the project of buying a land on hold until we are able to invest more money.

2000 sqm for just 9 million RAI with this view... I knew this must be a scam. The going rate here is at least 14 million for that view ????????

Thanks everyone.

How are you able to buy land as a foreigner?

Realtors are the worst.  They don't care about you, only their commission.  We had our realtor show us a house that was hitse property, I think 1 acre but 2 things it had a 500 gal underground gas tank as it was in a farm area plus the lot behind was  against a highway and soon after we they our in a gas station that must have been in planning or approval stages and our realtor didn't say anything.   We had other bad experiences with realtors. 

12 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

How are you able to buy land as a foreigner?

Trough a company set up, investment visa 1 rai min 40 000 000,- or you buy it in your wife/gf name, and she is obligated to give you half if married before the investment and then divorce, but,,,,,! 

So you choose your options with care ???? Never invest more than you are willing to loose, is the second good advise I got! Good luck

Investment visa 

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/policies/40021513

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

One of the best advises someone gave me, was never to buy land for house where it was only open landscape around and no  buildings or any infrastructure, because after you build, someone else will think this is a good place, and start building and you have no control what so ever about who or what is going to be built. Always Buy in a finished developed area, and you know what to expect. Or buy big enough land so nobody can interrupt your investment and happiness. 

I choosed the last 

so, you are the guy who owns all of Asia?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThomasSchmidt said:

We talked with a lawyer, the view is going to be blocked eventually.

The guy who tried to sell this to us is a scam.

We are going to put the project of buying a land on hold until we are able to invest more money.

2000 sqm for just 9 million RAI with this view... I knew this must be a scam. The going rate here is at least 14 million for that view ????????

Thanks everyone.

What is a scam? You claiming sea view while in fact you look at a plot that is behind the real sea view plot? I think one lost his mind in the first place to waste 9 million on just 1 rai of land in Thailand in the first place, let alone double that.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

3 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

What is a scam? You claiming sea view while in fact you look at a plot that is behind the real sea view plot? I think one lost his mind in the first place to waste 9 million on just 1 rai of land in Thailand in the first place, let alone double that.

Yea, I think for 9 mill, I could find a nice lot surfside, though I certainly wouldn't spend 9 mill to be surfside.  If I had that much spare cash, I wouldn't even by in TH.

Something wrong with a nice surfside condo, that YOU can actually own ?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, digbeth said:

so, if I own the empty plot of land and my neighbor, or their representative contacted me expressing their wish that would I mind not building so high as to obstruct their lovely view, my response would be to offer them a price for the land

the only time a lawyer would be useful if they are getting planning permission to build and you have your lawyer go through for anything you can use against them to stop the build

deeds for mountainous area on a slope can be contentious as they must be 'grandfathered' in before they became illegal to be issued with the title deed, maybe there's gap in ownership or paperwork  or irregularity in the deed being issued where it shouldn't have that would have invalidated the deed, but once you go down this route you'd have made an enemy of not just the plot owner but the dodgy officials who facilitated the deal that made it happen in the first place and who know if your plot won't get caught in the same net if you start probing this avenue

Reminds me of a situation that occurred in my home town. 

A man with a sizeable McMansion discovered his neighbor was seeking permission to build a 2nd story addition onto his garage.  He went to the zoning hearing and vigorously opposed the addition, arguing it would give the neighbors a clear view of his swimming pool.

"What pool?" Asked the zoning commissioner.

Turned out, it had been built without a permit and was not built within local regulations, including being too close to the property boundary. The pool was eventually ordered to be removed.

Opening his mouth, cost him dearly.

• Like 1