"I'll never set foot in Thailand again" - damning review by Taiwanese celeb "extorted by Thai police"

webfact

1 minute ago, BostonRob2 said:

I've been here twice as long as you and it's never happened to me. But I know plenty of people who have been shaken down, especially in Thong Lo and tourist areas. Experiences of long term residents are not necessarily reflected by tourists and/or those who have been here just weeks or months and especially those who can't speak Thai.

Rooster

Can it happen, yes. Does it happen, yes. Did it happen to the female in the OP...I am very very skeptical.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Rotten to the core.....

Not just the RTP, the whole country. This one made me laugh especially:

”it has been reported that Thai PM Prayuth Chan-ocha in his capacity as chair of the Police Commission has demanded punishment for police.”

So the biggest grifter of them all wants punishment for one (or several) of his underlings for doing something that Dear Leader does as well, only on a much grander scale. The hypocrisy is appalling.

• Like 2

Common occurrence.  Was threatened with deportation last year upon entering with one of those "agent visas" Cost me 20K to get out of.  My lawyer was on the phone with immigration and couldn't do anything about it because I was in the wrong.

They could have just cancelled the agent visa and issued me a tourist visa for 30 days but the opportunity to extort presented itself and thats what they do.  The entire country is opportunists....some out of necessity some because they can, others because they know no other way.

Edited by happydreamer
  • Like 1

Maybe someone out there explains the general his job as a prime minister. He is the boss over all ministries including the interior ministry. The latter is responsible for domestic affairs like the police force. The police should, repeat   S H O U L D   protect people and property; in Thailand the police has many other unwritten duties. Under the police you find the immigration department.

I assume that explains the mess in immigration, the corruption in the police and the over corruption in the interior ministry ......... question is only .....   W H E R E   does the bucket stop? 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

She said that a group of five South Korean females were also at the police station (which wasn't named)

Ladbrokes now offering odds it was Tong Lor police station. Outside odds on Lumphini.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I am in a foreign country and I have been stopped my police. We were stopped whilst driving from Chiang Mai to Sukhothai and a hoard of police swarmed my car and inspected our lugage. They found nothing, they planted nothing, an officer supervised and was very professional, we even split some pizza with me whilst the work was underway!

Who bought the pizza lol

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Surely its in the police's interest to allow filming of the incident

Its one reason that I have an additional, prominently placed  camera in my car, pointing towards the drivers side window.  It has saved me a fine a couple of times.  Best 200 Baht I ever invested, in a fake camera that actually doesn't work. 

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

Why not name the police station .....  Thai Rath scared ?

There are plenty of other people who won't set foot back in Thailand,  thiefs aplenty.

Could be that the investigators already know who and where . You know the media can only print what the top orders. Maybe on the Taiwan website.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Now are the RTP going to launch an investigation, BIG Joke, you are up?

I wonder if TAT are going to publicize this case?

Surely its in the police's interest to allow filming of the incident, if the police didn't do anything wrong, that would prove it? ????

Right, that fact that they demanded the filming to be stopped and deleted speaks volumes!

Edited by Smokey and the Bandit
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't an entry stamp in her passport shown her legal presence.

Sure, she should have got an 'Admitted Until' stamp.... but they were not looking to prove she was 'legal'... 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

She said something should be done about tourists being shaken down in this way as it was bad for tourism.

In the era of social media what with the speed with which information is disseminated it was inevitable that illicit practices would be revealed.

Something the boys in brown seem to forget about.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

The story makes no sense. She showed her visa passport so she had no basis to pay anything, for any reason, she should have stood her ground.

Easier said then done when you're in a police station... 

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

One suspects there is more to this story. 

There would have been a reason for cops to demand payment. Yes, police carry out random stop and searches but they don't ask for cash unless they find something. 

What did police find on her or her friends?

Cash?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1