"I'll never set foot in Thailand again" - damning review by Taiwanese celeb "extorted by Thai police"

webfact

6 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Same place as all his other 'PROMISES'....in the bin !

To be fair - if the police were squeaky clean, the outcome would have been way worse for her.

That's the whole point of a bribe - it helps you avoid a harsher penalty.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not really... 

IF the Police were squeaky clean, so would the country be and we’d be in a society where a conglomerate does not impact the law for their own profits and thus items such as e-cigs would be as legal as they are in developed nations. 

Additionally, the end ‘fine’ for such criminal behavor has having an e-cig in possession is fine ‘up to’ xx,xxx baht and / or 1 year in prison (I think its 30,000 baht)...  Again, a country with a ’squeakily clean’ police force also wouldn’t have such extreme penalties for such innocuous and insignificant ‘(non)crimes’.

Then there is the actually reality that a ‘crime’ such as this would attract an extremely minimal penalty if pushed through the Thai courts.... 

... Thus the ’threat’ of the penalty at its harshest ends is utilised by the Police as fruitfully as possible in their extortion.

The police enforce the laws, they do not make the laws. 

Having a squeaky clean police has nothing to do with whatever laws the government put in place. 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That abhorrent actions have occurred in ‘her’ own country is completely irrelevant to this person being extorted for 27,000 baht....   You write as if she deserved this treatment because of something her government or unrelated business did in her home country... as if it its some form of valid revenge.

I think there’s a name for what he’s doing…

Whataboutism or whataboutery (as in "what about…?") denotes in a pejorative sense a procedure in which a critical question or argument is not answered or discussed, but retorted with a critical counter-question which expresses a counter-accusation. From a logical and argumentative point of view it is considered a variant of the tu-quoque pattern (Latin 'you too', term for a counter-accusation), which is a subtype of the ad-hominem argument.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Having a squeaky clean police has nothing to do with whatever laws the government put in place. 

The two couldn’t be more interconnected... 

The laws and the very people (theoretically tasked) with enforcing them and protecting the general public. 

In separating the two issues you dumb down and simplify  the issue into ‘black and white’ territory when in reality the issue is multifaceted and intertwined between all aspects of authority from policing through to politics and also influential business. 

The standards of policing that exists in a country is a direct result of governments (past and present) and the laws they put in place, after all, who enforces the enforcers ???

Edited by richard_smith237

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The two couldn’t be more interconnected... 

The laws and the very people (theoretically tasked) with enforcing them and protecting the general public. 

In separating the two issues you dumb down and simplify  the issue into ‘black and white’ territory when in reality the issue is multifaceted and intertwined between all aspects of authority from policing through to politics and also influential business. 

The standards of policing that exists in a country is a direct result of governments (past and present) and the laws they put in place, after all, who enforces the enforcers ???

Not really - you could reform the police without changing a single law on the books. Then we'd see enforcement where previously we could have waived the monetary get out of free card. 

The police do not enforce the laws here, hence the carnage on the roads. It's not the laws that are an issue, it's the people paid to enforce them on slave labor wages. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

Good in theory, try it anytime you get stopped by the BIB and argue the point with them - see how that works out for you. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Not really - you could reform the police without changing a single law on the books. Then we'd see enforcement where previously we could have waived the monetary get out of free card. 

The police do not enforce the laws here, hence the carnage on the roads. It's not the laws that are an issue, it's the people paid to enforce them on slave labor wages. 

8 years ago a clown grabbed power and promised a shakedown on anybody working for the government (including the RTP) not respecting the law, "he" also promised to stop any and all corruption and the corrupted ones... people are still waiting

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

I agree with what you write... but its an over simplified hypothetical situation....  the Police do not exist in a vacuum, reform could not take place until every facet of society were also reformed, and that means those in positions of power who can effect legal change.... 

... by the very nature of the manner in which the laws are used to enable corruption the laws would have to change to enact reform - the two are intertwined. 

3 hours ago, pedro01 said:

When she went public, she forgot to mention the vape, or the fact they are illegal here, so she's trying to garner a bit more sympathy than is due IMO.

Maybe she didn't mention it because the police didn't mention it was a problem at the time.

If I traveled on holiday to a country where cannabis is legal, I'd never imagine a vape would be illegal.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

8 years ago a clown grabbed power and promised a shakedown on anybody working for the government (including the RTP) not respecting the law, "he" also promised to stop any and all corruption and the corrupted ones... people are still waiting

It was another lie to get his nose in the trough.

The current mob are way worse than the ones they illegally removed in the name of fighting corruption.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

the Police do not exist in a vacuum, reform could not take place until every facet of society were also reformed

And I'm not sure Thai society would even want that.  If the police, government workers, and other people related to the government, were not allowed to be corrupt, they would hardly be in the position to go as easy on people as they do.

Imagine if all corruption was removed from Thailand tomorrow.  It would be great for the country as a whole, but the reaction from the populace, for whom corruption is generally a daily occurrence, would be incredibly negative.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, mrboatbkk said:

The accusation has to be verified. It does not mean that what said by model or actor or actress has to be true. Investigation must be made to to prove what really happened. If it is true then action must be taken but if not true then action must be taken also as perjury is a crime.

I read of no statement that could be deemed perjury... nobody went to court!

On 1/27/2023 at 10:22 AM, nigelforbes said:

Your journey from, she was openly breaking the law in front of the police, to, she should be given a warning and let off, encompassed ignorance of the law, xenophobia and unjust laws imposed by the elites....hmmmm! Are you available for hire as a defense lawyer, in case I ever get arrested for a serious crime? You may not be able get me released but the show will at least be entertaining. ????

no, but you have several police neighbours, including police general, from whom you bought your house. Just ask them for help at the next lunch. They don't charge that much for their services

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 3:20 PM, nigelforbes said:

We'll have none of that on this forum if you don't mind, especially when there's an opportunity to bash something Thai!

Gee, and here I’ve been laboring under the assumption that this was a discussion forum for people who lived in Thailand.

Should I be using this space to voice my opinions re: police corruption in Madagascar instead?

Why didn’t somebody tell me?

9 hours ago, fusion58 said:

Gee, and here I’ve been laboring under the assumption that this was a discussion forum for people who lived in Thailand.

Should I be using this space to voice my opinions re: police corruption in Madagascar instead?

Why didn’t somebody tell me?

Did you miss the sarcasm, it would seem so.