Thais as confused as foreigners! So why do Thais stuff coins in their ears!?

webfact

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Do you mean Thais in general? 

Do you have a Thai wife? 

Being that the topic is what it is... I would guess by the context that he meant that the people who put the coins in their ears are the dimwits. Not sure how or why you might read between the lines to come to such possible conclusions as you did, otherwise unless you have such a low view of Thai people...?

• Like 1

I'd say that it's the only 'decent' orifice in your body that if you have no pockets and want to use both hands, you can keep your change in. 

Many years ago when I played the guitar in a band, I used to put my lit cigarette in my earhole so I could have a crafty puff inbetween riffs. Disgusting I know.

12 minutes ago, kuzmabruk said:

I thought the bank.  But if you only got 5 baht and take off your pants all the time.  Then!!!  your ear is the best place. 

I don't, as a rule, carry coins in my pocket. As soon as I get home I put them in the daughter's 'money tube'. Last year she got a few thousand baht for her account.

But, I got thinking, where do those little red sods come from? They are worth next to nothing and not really worth saving. The supermarkets are where they come from!! Went to Big C yesterday and got three of them; 25 satang a piece. Now these are the ideal coins to press into ya ears. The are small enough to go right in, and then it's doubtful if you could hear the wife's yak-yak. Think I'll try it.

• Haha 2

I would imagine it would be a regional thing. Those that said they'd never seen it possibly come from more developed areas and bigger towns.

Certainly in the part of Isaan where I live, it was common place to see people with coins in their ears.

The reason was the style of clothes. Women in sarongs and the guys in the sarong style wrap around trousers. No pockets in either.

Many times I've seen a guy turn up at the village shop to buy his 2 baht of tobacco and 1 baht of papers and pull a 5 baht coin from his ear to pay.

1 minute ago, puchooay said:

I would imagine it would be a regional thing. Those that said they'd never seen it possibly come from more developed areas and bigger towns.

Certainly in the part of Isaan where I live, it was common place to see people with coins in their ears.

The reason was the style of clothes. Women in sarongs and the guys in the sarong style wrap around trousers. No pockets in either.

Many times I've seen a guy turn up at the village shop to buy his 2 baht of tobacco and 1 baht of papers and pull a 5 baht coin from his ear to pay.

I think that it was a time-line thing, if you weren't here at the time, you wouldn't have seen it.

It was very common in Bangkok in the 90s, so not regional.

It did appear however to be a practice of Isaarn migrant workers and not the locals.

Ladies used to attach their loose bus fare to their clothes with an elastic band.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

It was very common in Bangkok in the 90s, so not regional.

Yes, I took many buses in the 90s before the skytrain. 

Often saw it on the little green buses - that charged 1 bhat less than the big red buses.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Neeranam said:

Yes, I took many buses in the 90s before the skytrain. 

Often saw it on the little green buses - that charged 1 bhat less than the big red buses.

Those red buses were sheer hell in the rainy season with no air con and all of the windows closed.

IIRC there were only a few oscillating fans to cool the bus down.