Taiwanese actress hits back at RTP - Thailand's great but your "unclean" police are NOT - tells them to "stop talking trash"

webfact

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its 3 stops in what... 10 years (at a guess)... hardly painful.

I’ve been stopped too....  its just the way things are here - hardly worth it to stop driving / riding, we just roll with it.... and when a topic on here pops up we write our experience. 

The we have some tool suggesting.... ‘credibility’... or better still... those who would write, ‘if you can’t handle it go home’ (or something similar).... 

Its not a stretch at all to believe that someone gets pulled over and fined without knowing exactly what the fine was for.... Infact, over the years there have been loads of posts about such activity on this forum, guys have even posted their ticket for others to translate. 

I assume your Thai is perfect and you can read Thai perfectly and would understand every ticket ????

... or the keyboard warrior in you will now state that you’d ‘demand’ to know what the fine is and stand your ground if it was false.... Others are just ok with with paying 200 baht and not wasting any more of their time. 

I drove through 3 checkpoints just yesterday on the way back to PKK from Phang Nga on Hwy 4.  At each one i had to roll down all of the windows and then the GF who is from Myanmar had to show her passport to the Police, I/O, Ranger, which they thumbed through to find her extension of stay and then they questioned her, normal procedure for us, and it takes all of 5 minutes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I drove through 3 checkpoints just yesterday on the way back to PKK from Phang Nga on Hwy 4.  At each one i had to roll down all of the windows and then the GF who is from Myanmar had to show her passport to the Police, I/O, Ranger, which they thumbed through to find her extension of stay and then they questioned her, normal procedure for us, and it takes all of 5 minutes.

They’re doing a specific job... looking for ‘people smuggling’....

I recall driving from Mae Sot over the mountains there.....   

... there were 4 check-points.... one glance in the car and the Wife and it, its clear they were not interested.

The same for the Check-points that are often set up when travelling south from Bangkok.... They take a glance inside, see a foreigner.... they are not interested. They’re doing their job and looking for drug-smugglers....  Wife and I clearly don’t fit a profile. 

BUT... in Bangkok, a taxi of tourists is stopped for one reason.... the BiB think they can make money. 

This is exactly the same reasons tourists on motorcycles are often stopped in area’s like Phuket, the BiB know they can make some money. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

They’re doing a specific job... looking for ‘people smuggling’....

I recall driving from Mae Sot over the mountains there.....   

... there were 4 check-points.... one glance in the car and the Wife and it, its clear they were not interested.

The same for the Check-points that are often set up when travelling south from Bangkok.... They take a glance inside, see a foreigner.... they are not interested. They’re doing their job and looking for drug-smugglers....  Wife and I clearly don’t fit a profile. 

BUT... in Bangkok, a taxi of tourists is stopped for one reason.... the BiB think they can make money. 

This is exactly the same reasons tourists on motorcycles are often stopped in area’s like Phuket, the BiB know they can make some money. 

Same issue at some checkpoints where the driver of a vehicle with non visa individuals is stopped, the brown envelope gets exchanged and on the way they go.  I know this from an experience recently where the soon to be MIL paid 26k of which half went to the driver and the other half to the men manning the checkpoint, 6 were in the Fortuner being driven, so a lucrative trip, and one thats done at least 3 times a week by this specific driver with the contacts.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

That would be the one that completely exonerates the RTP that they haven't shown yet.

Perhaps it it is still at the "editing" stage.

Quite so, I hope they don't forget to syn up the time stamps, or it will be a complete giveaway?????

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yet we still get those utterly dumb-a$$ comments from posters who’ll state things such as...

... "I’ve been driving here for 20 years and have never been stopped"....   as if they are suggesting that all the other first hand examples are from people who for whatever reason are lying and only their experience counts !!!.... 

Dumb-a$$ here....

Just wondering what I'm doing right and other are doing wrong, if it's on my side and I can figure it, I might be able to package it and sell it and become rich as well as hansum!

Even in this thread we've seen posts about how people have been stopped and harassed/ripped off, three times in short periods of time. Statistically, based on the law of averages alone, I should have been stopped and harassed/ripped off at least once...but I haven't. Perhaps it's my lucky amulet, perhaps m'bike riders without helmets are a magnet and should know better than to drive round the moat all day long. Who knows, yet another of life's little mysteries.

Oh and hey, I was just wondering, the story started off with the lady in question, posting on social media a series of details that have since been recanted/disproved/superseded, the wrong type of visa was her main complaint initially, that now seems to have been hidden from view. My wife tell me she has announce that she/he will be saying nothing further in this matter....SMART move, some poster shere should do the same arf arf. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Who ?....  on this forum and anywhere else no one believes anything is going to happen... 

... Everyone knows the only thing that does happen is a ‘move to an inactive post’ when a policeman gets caught out for nefarious activity. 

Wash, rinse, repeat...  we’re about a month away from all the announcements on roads deaths and DUI issues.... loads of announcements from officials, no changes. 

Two weeks of outrage, a few painted pedestrian crossings... no changes. 

Reading here WHO a number enough questioning ( their right) responses doubting her side particularly with Interpol.

My support is with her that she is telling the truth!

This is all hot air smoke and mirrors grandstanding on the RTP,  just like all the programs and hot air to fix driving not going to happen with cleaning up this group of mafia thugs. 

Yes it is that time of year,  W. H. O. 

a fools organization will donate 10 millions plus for them to try to fix the problem with their driving in return a few signs, painted lines,  RTP,  a black hole of corruption.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

As soon as a new police commander is in place and tries to change there swiftly transferred. 

You aren't referring to big joke are you?  Change what like the saying " different day same <deleted> "  when  they are sworn in they swear to uphold the status. 

17 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Dumb-a$$ here....

Just wondering what I'm doing right and other are doing wrong, if it's on my side and I can figure it, I might be able to package it and sell it and become rich as well as hansum!

Well... to start with... Do you even enter these area’s in the evenings ???

Do you drive or ride in the areas where there are check-points... Because, if all you are doing is sitting in the middle the countryside and rarely travel into major area’s then you are hardly a prime candidate for such experiences. 

That said, if you are living in central Bangkok and go out a lot late at night, its surprising your taxi has never been stopped by the BiB for a quick-check. 

Even in this thread we've seen posts about how people have been stopped and harassed/ripped off, three times in short periods of time. Statistically, based on the law of averages alone, I should have been stopped and harassed/ripped off at least once...but I haven't.

So, it doesn’t happen?... or others just bring it on themselves, the way they look etc?

I was passenger in a taxi when I was stopped (3x) twice very late at night... another time at 7pm - Posters had the ridiculous comments that it may have been the way I was dressed, or looked drunk etc....  utterly ridiculous that they couldn’t accept that sometimes the BiB just pull over a ‘white face’ and see what they can get.... 

There were stories of pensioners who’ve been stopped walking on Sukhumvit rd and made to pee in a cup??  (stories of that and many others were on this forum).... 

... you seem to be implying that because you have not experienced these issues that others are embellishing or making up the stories because statistically it should have happened to you.

Thats just like the guys who claim they never have an issue with a taxi not using the meter, ergo others must be lying... yet they never go into the main entertainment areas of town or areas known for cheating taxi drivers !

Statistically, half the people are of below average intelligence...  once that sinks in you may allow your mind to open a little and understand that plenty of people experience issues that you may not...  you’ll just have to accept their word for it....

Perhaps it's my lucky amulet, perhaps m'bike riders without helmets are a magnet and should know better than to drive round the moat all day long. Who knows, yet another of life's little mysteries.

No one has complained of being pulled over without a helmet - you are making up your own facts now... People have mentioned being pulled over for no apparent reason. 

Oh and hey, I was just wondering, the story started off with the lady in question, posting on social media a series of details that have since been recanted/disproved/superseded, the wrong type of visa was her main complaint initially, that now seems to have been hidden from view. My wife tell me she has announce that she/he will be saying nothing further in this matter....SMART move, some poster shere should do the same arf arf. 

No... the story started off with an article which relayed the Taiwanese actresses story and there were subsequent numerous articles which contradicted each other through either misunderstanding, exaggerating or embellishing the facts.

What has not been altered is the Police Taking 27,000 Baht of the lady.

The GrabDriver was waiting for an hour before he departed the scene - in that time its perfectly believable that the BiB accused the Actress of having the wrong (or fake) visa...  or didn’t even have a passport with her and was being hassled by the BiB... All perfectly believable, its also understandable how the ‘retelling’ of these events may have picked up on the wrong facts particularly with some Thai reporters translating from Mandarin. 

This lady has not made a formal statement, we have only read ’numerous other peoples reporting of events’ hence the contradiction. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In this world you live in..... Is any female of pale complexion taller than 5ft a ladyboy ???

No, someone posted earlier on the thread that she is. I am just asking the question.

Oh, and if you look on some Chinese websites it says she is transgender.

https://bio.site/charlene0517

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

22 hours ago, billd766 said:
On 1/28/2023 at 3:29 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

That would just be "AN's" opinion, not, at this stage, backed up by conclusive facts from the investigation.   

Which is a completely biased one sided RTP investigation, where the RTP are the victim, judge and jury and nobody else is invited.

No, it is not one-sided, at all.  The RTP attempted to contact the actress through various medias for her statement but she apparently ignored their approaches...I wonder why?  She continues to post her side of it, that makes it two-sided.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

Now the Police Chief, Pol Gen Damrongsak has got involved, according to the Bangkok Post.

He has said if the accused officers are guilty, legal action will be taken against them.

The girl in question, has also challenged the police to show the CCTV footage.

The story has changed and its difficult to keep up.

But now its all very simple isn't it? Show the footage and prove your innocence Mr Policeman?

There's just no mileage in it for them. It's just like some poster here making a statement and being asked to post a link to prove it. The poster spends an hour on Google and finally post the proof and everyone goes silent and walks away...been there plenty of times. I say, stuff the public, don't post the video, let them deal with their own angst.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it is not one-sided, at all.  The RTP attempted to contact the actress through various medias for her statement but she apparently ignored their approaches...I wonder why?  She continues to post her side of it, that makes it two-sided.

Who told you they attempted to contact her, your wife's 2nd cousins ex boyfriends mate? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Depends entirely where you live and drive.

If you live in CM and drive around the moat in the mornings you'll be stopped every week.

If you live in MaeJo/Sansai no police stops ever, so no need to tax, insure or wear a helmet.

I drive round the moat prob. Three or four times a week, I pass thru loads of checks and never ever ever ever get stopped. And I know enough to know that many farangs get stopped for mot wearing helmets but like to leave out that minor detail and instead brag that they were shaken down for mo reason, the poor babies

10 minutes ago, Artisi said:
24 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

Who told you they attempted to contact her

The police reported that they did.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Not really, it's SOP. It's typical that the fine is discounted to half of what it is supposed to be because the fine for a farang is nearly always double what it is for a local. I don't know if it's still there but there used be a board in the CM police station with the amounts on, in two columns, local and foreigner. That's the way it is, you got the local discount, well done.

It may be Standard Operating Procedure, but is it provided for in the legislation? Or is it a system set up for the direct benefit of the police? So, in the example I described, would the B750 extra be "declared" and paid in? 

I would be very surprised if the legislation or decree setting the penalties for minor infringements of traffic rules - in the example we are discussing - stipulates that a foreigner ( driving on a Thai licence) should be fined four times the rate for a local. Far less extreme than the performance which sparked this whole thread, but indicative of the extraordinary extent of the corruption and extortion which is such a feature of police practice.

Well... to start with... Do you even enter these area’s in the evenings ???

Do you drive or ride in the areas where there are check-points... Because, if all you are doing is sitting in the middle the countryside and rarely travel into major area’s then you are hardly a prime candidate for such experiences. 

That said, if you are living in central Bangkok and go out a lot late at night, its surprising your taxi has never been stopped by the BiB for a quick-check. 

So, it doesn’t happen?... or others just bring it on themselves, the way they look etc?

I was passenger in a taxi when I was stopped (3x) twice very late at night... another time at 7pm - Posters had the ridiculous comments that it may have been the way I was dressed, or looked drunk etc....  utterly ridiculous that they couldn’t accept that sometimes the BiB just pull over a ‘white face’ and see what they can get.... 

There were stories of pensioners who’ve been stopped walking on Sukhumvit rd and made to pee in a cup??  (stories of that and many others were on this forum).... 

... you seem to be implying that because you have not experienced these issues that others are embellishing or making up the stories because statistically it should have happened to you.

Thats just like the guys who claim they never have an issue with a taxi not using the meter, ergo others must be lying... yet they never go into the main entertainment areas of town or areas known for cheating taxi drivers !

Statistically, half the people are of below average intelligence...  once that sinks in you may allow your mind to open a little and understand that plenty of people experience issues that you may not...  you’ll just have to accept their word for it....

No one has complained of being pulled over without a helmet - you are making up your own facts now... People have mentioned being pulled over for no apparent reason. 

No... the story started off with an article which relayed the Taiwanese actresses story and there were subsequent numerous articles which contradicted each other through either misunderstanding, exaggerating or embellishing the facts.

What has not been altered is the Police Taking 27,000 Baht of the lady.

The GrabDriver was waiting for an hour before he departed the scene - in that time its perfectly believable that the BiB accused the Actress of having the wrong (or fake) visa...  or didn’t even have a passport with her and was being hassled by the BiB... All perfectly believable, its also understandable how the ‘retelling’ of these events may have picked up on the wrong facts particularly with some Thai reporters translating from Mandarin. 

This lady has not made a formal statement, we have only read ’numerous other peoples reporting of events’ hence the contradiction. 

I'm pretty sure Richard that if an axe murderer, knee deep in fresh corpses, was arrested for murder, you'd find a way to blame the RTP. The story started when SHE posted on social media and the press picked it up from there. HER original story was that she was relieved of 27k, in an alley, because she had the wrong stamp in her passport.

Subsequent updates saw her story change as evidence conflicted with her version. It turns out she was alcohol fueled (it was after all 1 am on New Years day morning) plus hse had been openly vaping in front of the police whilst CCTV footage showed that she wasn't taken out of sight of the camera's. 

My sentence is that Richard is guilty of failure to be impartial . Over and out, enough of this nonsense.

13 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

It may be Standard Operating Procedure, but is it provided for in the legislation? Or is it a system set up for the direct benefit of the police? So, in the example I described, would the B750 extra be "declared" and paid in? 

I would be very surprised if the legislation or decree setting the penalties for minor infringements of traffic rules - in the example we are discussing - stipulates that a foreigner ( driving on a Thai licence) should be fined four times the rate for a local. Far less extreme than the performance which sparked this whole thread, but indicative of the extraordinary extent of the corruption and extortion which is such a feature of police practice.

"Is it provided for in the legislation?"

Just when you think you've heard every crazy argument, along comes this! Talk about grasping at straws. Goodbye!

17 minutes ago, Puccini said:
41 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The police reported that they did.

Where can I find the police report?

In the usual places, try searching for it.  I probably saw it in the Bangkok Post, maybe even here.  

Edit:  Bangkok Post, 26th.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

3 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

This "actress" was "she" originally a "he"?

https://www.facebook.com/Charlene517

https://weibo.com/u/5702160449

Anyone wishing to get Charlene's story straight from the horse's mouth, RAZZELL has given you these two links:

https://www.facebook.com/Charlene517

https://weibo.com/u/5702160449

You can also follow her on LINE by clicking on this link:

https://lin.ee/IK11BMq

Now, where can we get the story of the police directly from their social media sites? Google Translate will give us a sufficiently good translation to get the gist of it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

In the usual places, try searching for it.  I probably saw it in the Bangkok Post, maybe even here.  

What I have seen in English-language news reports are translations of excerpts of what some members of the police or spokespersons for them are said to have told reporters in Thai language. So far no sight of a photo or a scanned copy of a piece of paper called "police report". It would be nice to hear directly from both sides, not just from Charlene.

Edited by Puccini
corrected a typing error
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1