Taiwanese actress hits back at RTP - Thailand's great but your "unclean" police are NOT - tells them to "stop talking trash"

webfact

26 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

"Is it provided for in the legislation?"

Just when you think you've heard every crazy argument, along comes this! Talk about grasping at straws. Goodbye!

Let us not mince words then - I suspect that the standard fine is laid down, and the police operate a corrupt "dual pricing"system for foreigners for their own benefit.

You however, and the tenor of all your posts in this thread supports this conclusion, are quite happy to support open corruption in the police force, whether because as @internationalism has suggested you have links with senior ranks in the RTP, or because for some other reason you feel it justified. I am, far from clutching at straws, happy with my position( far from crazy) which I have held for quite a number of years - I presume you are with yours. 

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Puccini said:

What I have seen in English-language news reports are translations of excerpts of what some members of the police or spokespersons for them are said to have told reporters in Thai language. So far no sight of a photo or a scanned copy of a piece paper "called police report". It would be nice to hear directly from both sides, not just from Charlene.

You'll never see the actual police report, why should you?  Police reports aren't published in the press a a matter of course, the police report to the press information that it available and relevant to the case while it is still ongoing (BP, 26th Jan).  If you don't like that, or you don't give it much credence, why do you then give credence to the woman's version which, so far, has been reported in the same way, i.e. via the press?

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Keep reading the news reports, that's where.  Why does it have to be "directly from a social media site"?

Well, the thing is that one post in one of the many topics running on this forum on this alleged incident mentioned, as far as I can remember, a news report allegedly quoting the police as saying that there was no police checkpoint, and a later post allegedly quoting the police as confirming that there was indeed a checkpoint, that some Chinese-speaking ladies in a taxi were searched and an e-cigarette was found in a handbag, that the ladies were informed that e-cigarettes were illegal in Thailand, that no fine was issued or money collected and that the ladies were sent on their way.

Then there are posts mentioning news reports about an alleged CCTV recording that the police allegedly has, but is there any information whether this recording was made at the site of the road checkpoint or at a police station and what the recording shows?

This is why I feel strongly that it would be nice to be able to read directly what the police are writing, not what some newspapers print what they were allegedly told by the police.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The police reported that they did.

You are correct, I saw a report that that they tried, it was in the same article that said the RTP had interviewed the taxi driver, also they had seen the CCTV footage.

The problem is, its all hearsay? The police are not providing any actual evidence.

Surely to put this to bed as it were, they just need to show the CCTV footage and that would be the end of it?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You'll never see the actual police report, why should you?  Police reports aren't published in the press a a matter of course, the police report to the press information that it available and relevant to the case while it is still ongoing (BP, 26th Jan).  If you don't like that, or you don't give it much credence, why do you then give credence to the woman's version which, so far, has been reported in the same way, i.e. via the press?

Did I dream it or has someone else also seen seen posts in one of the many topics on this forum on this matter that "the woman", Charlene, posted her side of the story on her Facebook account, presumably typing it with her own fingers, and perhaps also on some other social media accounts of hers? I did read that the news media in Taiwan picked it up from there and apparently also interviewed her but how accurately the the resulting news articles reflect what Charlene said in the interviews, I do not know. The Thai news media probably picked it up from Facebook and printed articles in Thai and English, also with unknown and uncertain accuracy.

1 minute ago, Puccini said:

Did I dream it or has someone else also seen seen posts in one of the many topics on this forum on this matter that "the woman", Charlene, posted her side of the story on her Facebook account, presumably typing it with her own fingers, and perhaps also on some other social media accounts of hers? I did read that the news media in Taiwan picked it up from there and apparently also interviewed her but how accurately the the resulting news articles reflect what Charlene said in the interviews, I do not know. The Thai news media probably picked it up from Facebook and printed articles in Thai and English, also with unknown and uncertain accuracy.

That is exactly what happened, that was the sequence of events..

• Haha 1

I consider myself a AN crime  sleuth but in a case like this I can't see how anyone can doubt that the police are so corrupt that it's hard to believe one thing they say when accused like this.   I logged onto her line and added her.  Within 2 minutes I got a message "想知道真相和事情經過的請回覆我:
"好的".  Google translate says. "If you want to know the truth and what happened, please reply to me: "Good""

I did and we will see what the reply is.  I'm sure so many people don't report instances like this and if one of us did nothing would happen.  So there was little risk  to the BIB if this activity was occurring often.   But  as a person with large social media reach that may effect Chinese tourist numbers she had the power to actually get some resolution.   During my recent 50 day stay in Thailand I saw people using e cigs everywhere.  Bar girls inside and outside. Thai and foreigners on the sidewalks everywhere.   E cigs and vapes sold everywhere.   

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I hope you're never a juror at my trial anytime, filling in the gaps in factual evidence and concluding a guilty verdict, is not a desirable trait.

What have you been arrested for now? ????

Edited by proton
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

A poster stated she was a transexual.

I have no idea whether that is true.

So that was it? I remember that one poster wrote "actor", meaning Charlene, and when challenged said that to him, any person, irrespective of the biological sex, playing a role in a movie or a stage play, is an actor, and I said  to myself "good for him", because also when I was taught English there were writers, doctors, actors, teachers, and these professional denominations always encompassed both sexes.

The longer this topic gets, the more I am reminded of the game of Chinese Whispers. Here we have an actress referred to in one post as an actor and before long she is referred to, jokingly or seriously, as a trans-sexual.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Richard, you may be ex law enforcement, I am not, I just go by the latest press reports and cast my opinion accordingly....no apologies if that doesn't pass your sniff test for the Sherlock award! Latest in the media I have read is that CCTV favors the police, I'll wait for the next press release and see what I think then but in the meantime I'm not playing Watson to your Sherlock.

I kind of figured I was playing Watson to your Sherlock... You seem to have more up to date info than I and have corrected me a couple of times....    

... there’s a fair bit of info passing the ‘sniff test’... but quite a bit which is also stinks of back-pedalling and coverup by the police... then there is the misinterpretation and willy fighting going on further muddying the waters !!!... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

I'm pretty sure Richard that if an axe murderer, knee deep in fresh corpses, was arrested for murder, you'd find a way to blame the RTP. The story started when SHE posted on social media and the press picked it up from there. HER original story was that she was relieved of 27k, in an alley, because she had the wrong stamp in her passport.

Subsequent updates saw her story change as evidence conflicted with her version. It turns out she was alcohol fueled (it was after all 1 am on New Years day morning) plus hse had been openly vaping in front of the police whilst CCTV footage showed that she wasn't taken out of sight of the camera's. 

My sentence is that Richard is guilty of failure to be impartial . Over and out, enough of this nonsense.

I'm pretty sure you’d blame the victims !!! 

It seems you are already blaming every foreign who gets stopped by the Police for drawing the attention upon themselves.

I’m obviously bias against the Police in situations like this, I’m happy to admit that, my history here and the influence of reading many such reports has created this bias.

I am aware of my bias but an prepared to be shown otherwise. However, thus far there is nothing that suggest the Taiwanese actress has lied, but there is a lot of misinformation....  

- The police have not denied there was a stop, so that part we know is true. 

- The stop was for over 1 hour ?... what happened in that 1 hour ?

- There are murky details, some initial misinformation (about being at the police station with a group of Koreans - was this misreporting / poor translation ?... was she in the car with some koreans ?)

- There was reports that the Police had claimed her visa was false. 

- It was also reported that she was not carrying her passport.

- It was reported that she was searched and they found a Vape device. 

- It was reported that she was openly smoking vape in front of the police.

37 minutes ago, Elkski said:

I logged onto her line and added her.  Within 2 minutes I got a message "想知道真相和事情經過的請回覆我:
"好的".  Google translate says. "If you want to know the truth and what happened, please reply to me: "Good""

I did and we will see what the reply is. 

It will be very interesting to see what the story is (or google translation of the story)...

Waiting...  

35 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Nope.. Only a tool would suggest something such an exaggerated strawman fallacy to point score....  we’ve already established you are not... haven't we ?

Were we reading HER social media posts (i.e. copied and pasted into an article), or someones translation / interpretation / elaboration of HER social media posts ???  - it seems this is where there may be some evolution of the story and some distortion of her claims. 

Did SHE change her story? or has other peoples interpretation of what she wrote altered (I’m not sure). 

I totally agree... I’m not impartial here... Having lived here for 25 years, when someone publicly claims they were extorted by the Thai police to the tune of 27,000 baht, I’m inclined to believe them. 

I accept that this bias is clouding my judgment.

My only solution is to put you on my ignore list until this obsession passes and your normal rational self returns...talk again in a couple of weeks perhaps, bye.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

My only solution is to put you on my ignore list until this obsession passes and your normal rational self returns...talk again in a couple of weeks perhaps, bye.

well I was the 7th on your list so Richard will be the 8th, unless there has been another one since last week. Not bad going for somebody who has only been here 4 months ????

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yet it's better than dealing with police in Mexico.....you can keep from being made o disappear here 

Mexico?  Who wants to live in Mexico?  Mexicans sure don't!  

Mexico is a good place for organized crime to get a hit out on people with little to no consequences.  I"m referring from your home country.  There are quite a few who get shot down there while on vacation.  

The place is lawless.

25 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Good bit of investigative reporting by the Thai press....FOR A CHANGE!

It's a shame that due to the ridiculous libel laws in Thailand they don't go after the real crooks!

RAZZ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

According to the article:

"The actress told Taiwanese media that Thai police put a vaping device into her hand and that she did not know what it was.

She alleged that she was charged with having an illegal e-cigarette device in her possession. Police subsequently took her into an alley and extorted 27,000 from her, she claimed. "

That is some wild, new claim by that article, claiming that police planted a vaping device in her hand. 

That article shows a number of still photos from CCTV showing her with a vaping device in her hand (not at the checkpoint, from days before). It's amazing that they can dig up those videos, but not the actual videos of the police stop. It's a classic case of obfuscation: can't win with the actual videos, smear her on other issues. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Quote from the article: 

[The actress told Taiwanese media that Thai police put a vaping device into her hand and that she did not know what it was.]

This is the first time this has been reported... nowhere else has it been reported that she claimed a vape device was ‘put into her hand’.... 

...It seems this story is growing arms and legs.

Here we have a Thai Interpretation of the Taiwanese medias impression of what happened - the waters are getting very muddied - deliberately so ?

It would be good just to read a statement of fact from the lady in question... 

One statement of what she says happened from start to finish, with a time line. 

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, wadman said:

It's a classic case of obfuscation: can't win with the actual videos, smear her on other issues. 

Thats exactly what it seems like to me too... 

That said: Why is there no clear direct statement from this lady?.... 

I’m wondering when the police to obfuscate some more and file defamation charges against the actress. 

3 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

Good bit of investigative reporting by the Thai press....FOR A CHANGE!

It's a shame that due to the ridiculous libel laws in Thailand they don't go after the real crooks!

RAZZ

Where did the lady state that the Police put a vape in her hands ?

The article states they she has claimed this ?...  where did they source that info if no other social or news outlet has this information?.... is it made up? 

... link to the the girl making their statement on her own social media page or wherever she made it ?

Seems very dodgy as if the Nation have been executing a smear campaign.....