Thailand Forecasts 30 Million Foreign Tourists in 2023

webfact

3 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

It's a wage problem. Those segment not paying a decent wage to attract workers. Most flocked to better establishments who pay well. 

True, although I was thinking more along the lines that the posters spends all his time in the bars everyday where he learns from people who know less than he does.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Yeah, that 300 baht surcharge will discourage at least 10 million. There goes the baked-beans-on-toast market. I'd never come here if I had to pay another 300 baht. Could this finally be IT? Really it. You know, the long-prophesied End of Thai Tourism?

And don't forget the Taiwanese shake down debacle, news of that corrupt behaviour will stun tens of thousands of UK tourists into staying home in Morecambe and Clacton instead.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Apparently you've never been to China, Shenyang and the Pearl River Delta are certainly more polluted than Thailand.

Didn't know that Shenyang or Dongguan are tourist attractions,  though...

4 hours ago, Tom H said:

welcomeF76F610C-8B6B-4BFF-9E35-C509BFB82DA4.thumb.png.a216a20e58d8a7320ccda83c3ed164d4.png

Tourists don't go much to Bangkok anymore, long time already. 

Fly directly to the beaches. 

In related news: Qatar airways will fly to Phuket 3 times daily (today's Bangkok Post)

Phukets tourist numbers are 50% higher than pre-covid.

6 hours ago, BigStar said:

Rather, does anyone believe TAT: ANF's numbers. Oh--what numbers?

They are readily believed when it supports a narrative, true or not.  This is endemic on the internet.  ????  And when they are not believed when they do not support a narrative.

Now I know who they call "tourists" and who they don't call "tourists".  Therefore, I purport that the 11 million number is a touch askew.  But in the end, it doesn't matter.  The truth is the truth and one thing I can say about Thailand is you will never know the truth because its leaders want facts to support narratives.  

3 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

The master plan, in order to cater to the increased numbers, is to move all Thai  people to Laos and leave just a skeleton population to collect the money

Good description of Koh Tao, Koh Lipe and to some degree,  Samui.

But when you continue "to take care of the tourists" - no, there are Burmese for that. Not many tourists on Koh Tao ever interact with a Thai. Certainly safer for the tourists this way.

1 minute ago, Lorry said:

Good description of Koh Tao, Koh Lipe and to some degree,  Samui.

But when you continue "to take care of the tourists" - no, there are Burmese for that. Not many tourists on Koh Tao ever interact with a Thai. Certainly safer for the tourists this way.

You apparently had a sense of humor lapse and the went off on a complete tangent in your explanation, a double well done.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blumpie said:

The truth is the truth and one thing I can say about Thailand is you will never know the truth because its leaders want facts to support narratives.  

And you're not getting it from TAT: ANF. You have no facts to refute any TAT numbers. Now what you have instead is your own narrative, also free of any evidence, to support posturing as a wise, shrewd consultant about what can be known and never known about Thailand. Which, given the content of your posts, seems laughable. You were adding your sneers to the TAT: ANF narrative:

13 hours ago, Blumpie said:

30 million... muuuuhahahahahahaaaa!!!!!  Booohahahahahaha!!!

And now you're claiming to be merely an enlightened skeptic superior to both TAT and TAT: ANF, a Lao Tzu who only knows what he doesn't know. 

I'm not sure what rosy government narrative lower numbers support, which TAT: ANF believes totally to support their narrative. You haven't addressed this point:

6 hours ago, newnative said:

Well, TAT 'says' only 428,000 international visitors for 2021.   If there ever was a year to pad the numbers, that was it.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

And don't forget the Taiwanese shake down debacle, news of that corrupt behaviour will stun tens of thousands of UK tourists into staying home in Morecambe and Clacton instead.  

Yes, but definitely not Blackpool nor Rhyl!

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2023 at 1:17 PM, spidermike007 said:

This time it is from the TIC. The tourism industry council. Prior to this article, likely only a few hundred people ever heard of their existence. Much ado over nothing. 

TAT won't take this sitting down, but will top that number by 50 or 100% soon, I'm sure...

On 2/2/2023 at 3:09 AM, webfact said:

pumping 3 trillion baht into the country’s economic circulation.

And there are many ways in which to help achieve this goal. According to Khaosod, starting today, and coinciding with the start of Chinese group tours, Immigration will no longer use baggage checks, requiring tourists to open their luggage. Just makes me wonder how many suitcases stuffed with cash from China on its way to triads in Bangkok will start going through today, too.