1 year retirement visa is more complicated this year

44 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I've lived in Bangkok for the past year but my non-O visa/extension was obtained via agent on Soi Post in Pattaya. 

I'm up for renewal on 30 March, planning on using the Pattaya agent again. If I do that, and subsequently go to CW and ask for a residence certificate, do you think they will issue one or get upset about where I got my extension from?

TM30 was done by condo office and I did my first-ever 90 day report via Bangkok-based agent. Subsequent TM47s have been done online.

Aussie, so Embassy no use for RC.

It’s possible you’ll have a problem doing your extension in Pattaya if your residence address is in Bangkok (as a minimum I would expect you to have to change your address to Pattaya, get the extension & then change it back to Bangkok) so might make things easier to just use an Agent in Bangkok for your extension.

I used to use AsiaVisa Travel, they’re located on Sukhumvit Soi 24, about 3 minute walk from Phrom Pong BTS station.

On 2/3/2023 at 9:55 AM, nigelforbes said:

I bank at Bangkok Bank and UOB and both require my passport before I can even update my bank book! Bangkok Bank even has signs at teller stations stating that passports will be required.

Possibly this is Bangkok Bank branch specific.  At the Bangkok bank branch that I use there are no such signs re: passport.

The Bangkok Bank branch that I use in Phuket does not require my passport to update my Bank Book. Neither for that matter does the Krungsri Bank branch that I use in Phuket require my passport to update my bank book. 

2 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Possibly this is Bangkok Bank branch specific.  At the Bangkok bank branch that I use there are no such signs re: passport.

The Bangkok Bank branch that I use in Phuket does not require my passport to update my Bank Book. Neither for that matter does the Krungsri Bank branch that I use in Phuket require my passport to update my bank book. 

It wouldn't be the first time that the North implemented new and sometimes unofficial policies, before the rest of the country, sometimes at odds with what Bangkok has said. From memory, things that get implemented here, also get implemented in the rest of the country later, why this is I don't know.

3 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I don't believe that. It is not a complex process and it can be done by individuals but many like me don't want to. I'm 73, I don't want to queue in Immi., I want to stay home or spend my time in other ways. When covid was rampant, using an agent made perfect sense for older people and it still does. Those of us who have been here for many years will remember the uncertainties of the visa visit....go home and fetch this, go fetch that and come back, make more copies of this, your bank letter is dated yesterday, it has to be dated today, start queuing in parking lot at 4 am for a queue number, explaining banking process to Immi. staff such as why a fixed deposit can't show a same withdrawal unless it's cancelled. This list of fun and games is a long one and come with bad memories. Phuket Immi. sent me back to Bangkok to HSBC to get a new bank letter because it was dated yesterday not today! Now all I have to do is pay my 5k and have my picture taken, it's a perfect fit for me and I can get on with my gardening.

For most it is just laziness as I said, but I will not generalize and say everyone is. Im sure some offices is worse than others, but those offices I have been to have been great. Also with helping assistents like Hua Hin, and the office where I now live in Isaan

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

For most it is just laziness as I said, but I will not generalize and say everyone is. Im sure some offices is worse than others, but those offices I have been to have been great. Also with helping assistents like Hua Hin, and the office where I now live in Isaan

I also think much hinges on the office and the location, I agree.

On 2/3/2023 at 8:34 AM, Orinoco said:

Hard to give banks money. Honestly

What a place this is now days. 

For context. I have had an account at the high street branch of a major UK bank in a English city since 2018. It has a dual currency option that would only be 'switched on' upon application and AFTER six months good banking and credit history (the time delay and credit report wasn't in the small print). No worries, I'll do it next time I visit. Last December on a short visit, I walked in and after showing my ID, asked that I wanted to 'switch on' the dual currency option. As I now had over four years of a banking and a clear credit history, I thought this would be easy peasy. The customer service chap said I would need to make an appointment to see a banking advisor in order to do this. I said ok, let's make an appointment then. He said appointments are only taken online or via their banking app. So I logged into their app and saw the earliest open appointment date was the following Tuesday and I was flying out that weekend. In all the 15 minutes I was in this branch, I only saw one other customer come in and do any sort of transaction so they weren't exactly busy.

Anyway, in the future, I think this will be the way of walk-in banking here in Thailand as well. They are already getting their panties in a bunch here over 'virtual banking'.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Which insurance? I opened an account with BBL in June and was only offered accident insurance that is linked to the debit card, the cost of which was very reasonable as I recall.

What was required to open your account? Which branch?

Cheers.

3 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

What was required to open your account? Which branch?

Cheers.

Residence Certificate and passport with long stay visa, I think that was all.

Bangkok Bank, Narawat, left side, when travelling East, one long block after the bridge. It's a commercial office primarily so there's no messing around the smaller branches have, they know what they're doing.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

It’s possible you’ll have a problem doing your extension in Pattaya if your residence address is in Bangkok (as a minimum I would expect you to have to change your address to Pattaya, get the extension & then change it back to Bangkok) so might make things easier to just use an Agent in Bangkok for your extension.

I used to use AsiaVisa Travel, they’re located on Sukhumvit Soi 24, about 3 minute walk from Phrom Pong BTS station.

thanks but I don't think the residency is an issue with the agent I use, that's all part of the package. B12.5k is cheaper than Bangkok and it gives me an excuse to visit Pattaya for a few days.

also, afaik, Bangkok agents don't get the extension done at CW so I see no advantage to using them.

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

thanks but I don't think the residency is an issue with the agent I use, that's all part of the package. B12.5k is cheaper than Bangkok and it gives me an excuse to visit Pattaya for a few days.

also, afaik, Bangkok agents don't get the extension done at CW so I see no advantage to using them.

I use Maneerat & they are excellent but for everything I’ve had to do with Immigration via them, I have needed my TM30 which is obviously linked to my Pattaya address.

Might be worth running it past them to get their thoughts. 

BTW as you pay 12,500 I’m assuming you don’t keep the 800k in the bank (I do & pay them 8k to do my extension), if this is the case then the agent I mentioned in my previous post would not help you as they mainly deal with Work Permit/Visa related business & will only do retirement extensions if you keep the 800k in the bank.. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

The numbers don't support your argument Mike. Even with all financial factors considered, the fiscal impact of expats in Thailand, on the overall economy, is negligible. Where expats do have an impact is in support and redistribution of wealth to poorer, rural, low income families where their quality of life is often improved.

There are many different estimates, the one I like and tend to use for examples is that there is 150,000 expats in Thailand, working and retired. This is not to be confused with the total number of foreigners which is around 4 million, most of whom are citizens of neighbouring or other S Asian countries. Even if every one of them has an 800k Baht deposit in a Thai bank for visa purposes (which they don't, not by a long way), that's USD 3.6 bill., or about 0.7% of GDP (520 bill), in economics terms it's insignificant, even to the banks that are holding the money on deposit. Even if average expat spending is twice that amount every year, the total figure of 1.5% is still very small. House, cars and other capital purchases are one off or once in a decade events and don't change the outcome very much. Yes of course there are higher spending expats but it's the median that's important in this calculation.

You need to look back and understand why the amounts linked to expat visa's were first established, it was because the country desperately needed foreign currency. At one time our impact was substantial, today it has waned to almost insignificance, I'm surprised that nobody has done anything to change the amounts for many years.

The financial picture aside, the expat community is a wasted resource here which should be harnessed and employed to better effect, collectively we have so much knowledge and skills that could be used to better the country. But I suspect the cultural differences wouldn't easily allow that to happen,. most of us wouldn't know how to effectively work with Thai's and given the way they are bashed on these pages, not many would want to work with us I suspect!

@spidermike007 So tell me, what part of the  argument is so wrong that the best you can do is to laugh? I know from these pages that, unlike so many posters here, you are capable of forming arguments based on data and fact. What part of my data and fact do you think is wrong and why? If you want to prove me wrong, do it?

• Haha 2

On 2/3/2023 at 8:35 AM, DrJack54 said:

Should not do the trick.

Most banks now require a certificate of residence or letter from your embassy to open a bank account. 

It's even harder in Bangkok where to obtain a residence certificate you also need to have made a 90 day report. 

Things are not getting thought through in terms of how one thing can affect another. Getting caught out is more of a risk than it has been.

Edited by mokwit
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

Things are not getting thought through in terms of how one thing can affect another. Getting caught out is more of a risk than it has been.

Have no idea what that post means.

I stated that in Bangkok you need a certificate of residence and 90  day report to open bank account.

That's it. 

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I stated that in Bangkok you need a certificate of residence and 90  day report to open bank account.

That's it. 

Think he is just agreeing with what we are all saying. There is written rule, there is what actually happens, and there is depends at what time and what person. All good. Have a rippa day all.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, jimn said:

Lol, you are paying an agent 6k just to go to immigration on your behalf. Crazy. In Pattaya 12,500 including the 1,900 for the extension gets you the extension without  having to have the 800k in the bank and its a 100% legal extension stamp.

Giving 265 quid  ( 10,600 baht ) to an agent, no thank you.

That's two afternoons down Soi 6.

A much better place to spend the money. :thumbsup:

Edited by Orinoco

51 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That's it. 

The point I was making was hat you could be asked for something that can't be provided - in this case maybe no 90 day Non O conversion without funds in the bank and no bank account without a LT extension.....................

45 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

I keep substantial funds in banks here. ( for major emergencies )

But still won't  give it to an agent. ( no way hosay )

I'm still  youngish and in good health,

I'm happy to wait in line and smile  sneer at them. when finished and I pick up passport with a new extension in it.

( when I was doing extension at Jomtien, that is )

I also think, (not say you),

The majority of agent users for retirement extensions,  don't truly have the funds to be here. 

but some  will have you believe allsorts on this forum.

At the end of the day it’s all down to whether you believe the agents are giving you enough value to warrant their fee & for me they do.

I’ve  posted before my experience of doing an extension in Bangkok a couple of years back where not only did the agent catch that my Bankbook had consolidated entries that wouldn’t be acceptable to Immigration (they took me to the bank to help get the statements I needed) they also got me in for my extension 42 days before it was due when CW was only accepting people extending 3 days before their extension expires which saved a holiday I had planned/booked. I knew nothing of these 2 things before I went into the agent so would have used them anyway but it’s just a couple of examples of where the agent added real value to me. 

End of the day I think if the agents service cost 100,000b none but the most desperate would use them, if the service cost 100b everybody but the most stubborn would use them ????

Edited by Mike Teavee
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

End of the day I think if the agents service cost 100,000b none but the most desperate would use them, if the service cost 100b none but the most stubborn would use them ????

I like the analogy.

Not sure if I would fight them for a 100 baht. Probably not :cheesy:

But then again, after a few beers. :giggle:

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/5/2023 at 12:34 PM, Orinoco said:

Giving 265 quid  ( 10,600 baht ) to an agent, no thank you.

That's two afternoons down Soi 6.

A much better place to spend the money. :thumbsup:

Its worth it if you havnt got or dont want to leave nearly £20,000 in a Thai bank for most of the year, that you cant touch.

12 minutes ago, jimn said:

Its worth it if you havnt got or dont want to leave nearly £20,000 in a Thai bank for most of the year, that you cant touch.

I think most don't have it or the income equivalent or combination.

But BS about it a lot on this forum.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Orinoco said:

I think most don't have it or the income equivalent or combination.

But BS about it a lot on this forum.

Personally at this time I have not got £20k to leave in a Thai bank, even if I did I wouldnt do it. I keep my money in property. My UK house £350k bought and paid for, my Thai house via my wife 7 milliion baht, bought and paid for. For me and 100's of others, paying and agent 12,500 to provide the funds and get a perfectly legal retirement extension, is a no brainer.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jimn said:

Personally at this time I have not got £20k to leave in a Thai bank, even if I did I wouldnt do it. I keep my money in property. My UK house £350k bought and paid for, my Thai house via my wife 7 milliion baht, bought and paid for. For me and 100's of others, paying and agent 12,500 to provide the funds and get a perfectly legal retirement extension, is a no brainer.

I think your about 7 million baht out on your wealth calculation :giggle:

Got substantial  investments in uk, but still happy to stand in line.

won't give them the money for nothing. got the other 364 days a year to enjoy, lazing around.

That's the no brainer for me. :jap:

Edited by Orinoco

On 2/3/2023 at 9:55 AM, nigelforbes said:

I bank at Bangkok Bank and UOB and both require my passport before I can even update my bank book! Bangkok Bank even has signs at teller stations stating that passports will be required.

Interesting. I have yet to have a PUB (Passbook Update Machine) demand to see my passport before it will update my book.

5 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Would it be that much of a stretch to imagine that I was referring to a branch transaction, not an ATM type transaction....it appears so.

I am sorry. I gave you too much credit. My immediate thought was: if it was as easy to avoid showing your passport as walking 10 metres to a machine instead, you would have done so rather than complain. The obvious conclusion is that the machines you use have been modified to refuse to work unless shown your passport.