Double Charging I know it exists but it is still very annoying.

Nip

Almost 20 years in Thailand and I also am frustrated as I have a work permit and pay taxes etc.

But to be fair locals get a discount in many places worldwide...

In america I think it is more of a state thing not based on nationality.

So someone from New York will often pay more in Hawaii than a local but move there and show your Hawaii state drivers license and you get the discount.

• Like 2

@Nip

do you not think you or your kids are contributing to the problem, by paying.

If all avoided such vendors, and refused to pay, they might stop the practice.  I refuse to step foot in anyplace that does dual pricing.  As much for the policy, and also most aren't worth the Thai price.

Since the tourist are so ignorant, I doubt if the practice will ever end.  Never ending supply of suckers.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

Double pricing for tourist attractions is easy to deal with I believe: Most are not worth any amount of money anyway. Remains a couple of must-sees: As a genuine tourist you would not leave out to see Wat Phra Kaeo - would you ? This would be like visiting Egypt and not have a look at the pyramides.

What I see more of a problem is double pricing for food - which I am told exists. I doubt this happened to me (I have a Thai wife as well). But they could try that trick on other unexperienced travellers. This would not be double pricing, this would be fraud in my opinion.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, it is what it is said:

yup, agree. nothing to get upset about, just ignore such places, there are plenty of other places to visit.

Yeah, feet stamping and sulking and spoiling the Thai family's proposed day out for a couple of hundred baht and "principles" in a country that you chose to live in as a temporary visitor, knowing it's drawbacks.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Xanthe said:

Should have thought about that before abandoning your home country and settle in Thailand. Thailand has provided you with a wife, and a life, and in return they are asking for some extra money. 

Thailand gives out free wives and lives and you don't pay at all!

Don't forget to add "we are all guests here" ....  :cheesy:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Mai bpen rai......................the biggest cop out ever.........bend over and accept whatever they want to shove at you.

...in their country, with their rules, that forces no one to live here.   Anyone who chooses to live here voluntarily bends over to be ducked up the a_rse.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

16 hours ago, moogradod said:

What I see more of a problem is double pricing for food - which I am told exists. I doubt this happened to me (I have a Thai wife as well). But they could try that trick on other unexperienced travellers. This would not be double pricing, this would be fraud in my opinion.

"...this would be fraud in my opinion".

Not if they showed a menu with the prices on before taking the order, if they don't, you should ask for one, if you don't, more fool you.

I've been here 15 years.  At some point in time you just have to get over it.  Yeah - it sucks.
What I do is talk and joke with those selling over-priced entry fees about being Puu Sung Ayu or a elderly person over 70 years old.  The conversation I use generally is to mention whether or not there is any respect for elderly farang like their is for elderly Thais.  Age does mean something to Thais. 
Sometimes it works (I don't get charged), sometimes I get a discount (most of the time), and sometimes they pretend they can't understand me (they do but the are saving face).  What I do is to simply make them live up to their own rules about respect for the elderly.  I keep the conversation light and humorous if possible. 
What I'm doing is pulling down the mask of their own "Face Saving" and then hold up a mirror, metaphorically speaking.  

Don't confront these people with anger, confront them with humor.  And remember, the person selling you the ticket probably makes 10K THB a month or less.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, connda said:

Ditto - there is no such thing as a "Free" Thai wife.

My woman went to visit relatives for the weekend.

Still not free, as she wanted 2,000bht for the bus fares, I gave her 1,000bht.

Then big drama at the bus station, they wouldn't let my 12yo kid board the bus without ID.

They thought she'd abducted a foreign boy (white skin) and I had to send a copy of his Birth Cert and House book.

No money involved in this one - should I feel discriminated against? This morning we were at the temple adjacent to the Taksin Military Camp in Chanthaburi, noticed there was an open day and went to walk in with our group.

One of the soldiers cut in and explained that no foreigners, only Thai nationals, were permitted inside the gates.

New policy it seems, I've been three times previously in past ten years without any fuss. Anyhow, no drama, just taken by surprise, my first experience as a foreign spy.

• Haha 1

No matter how some try to dress it up and polish it there is not one excuse I have every witnessed that justifies dual pricing. 

IF our wives and partners encountered any of the same dual pricing we do here we’d rightly disagree with it. So why do we accept it here. 

The closest I can think of to dual pricing is the ‘National Health Surcharge’ when foreign nationals move to the UK and apply for residency, they then get free healthcare as soon as their residency is approved. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...this would be fraud in my opinion".

Not if they showed a menu with the prices on before taking the order, if they don't, you should ask for one, if you don't, more fool you.

Agreed... no fraud...  But it's still ‘distatasteful’.....  tantamount to cheating. 

Offering a ‘different’ menu to foreigners to charge them more is wrong and people would be right to walk out of such places to another which does not offer dual treatment. 

The reality is, Thai’s cheat each other too...  how many times have we read of the restaurants over charging Thai tourists in places like Cha-am.....    People behave like this because they can get away with it, until they can’t.

Unfortunately, when the government sanctions dual pricing it sends the messages to businesses that they can do the same thing and potentially adds to a thin xenophobic underbelly... “the government do it, so the foreigners must deserve it”..... fortunately, many businesses are honest and show no hint of discrimination. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Nip said:

Its not the money that annoys me it is the principle and I thought they were trying to stamp this out?

Actually, the current government has emphasized that foreigners should be charged more, increased the cost to enter national parks and encouraged hotels and attractions to have dual pricing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1