Necessary service items or just nice to do?

topt

Triton truck, nearly 11 years old, regular 10k oil change/check at main dealer who I have been happy with last 4/5 years after changing from another closer one.

Service last week and no issues but I was presented with what I thought initially was an extra bill but appears to be recommended service items for the next service. Communication was very unclear (different staff to my last visit) and the English translation of the items was sent to me after my visit. Apparently they did not have the parts in stock anyway......

Any views on how important or not having the mentioned items "changed"?

Mileage shown on estimate 150k so next service would be 160k or thereabouts. I was also sent some pictures presumable relating to the items to change........

1979956967_202301Tritonworkestp1.thumb.jpg.e8dc5d4c4c03516c8523161ae34462c0.jpg1989089947_202301Tritonworkestp2.thumb.jpg.1fc0241618ce0ee86d7eaf5d863765a1.jpg

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

No, that's not normal maintenance, or I wouldn't think so.  But if out of whack, then yes, should be corrected.

Must not be to out of whack, or they'd suggest replacing ASAP.  Do you know if it's the actually tie rod, or the bushings ? End ?

"set of ball joints, bow ends, right" ... suspect it's the rubber bushing and wearing out, so yes, do replace. https://stirlingautoparts.com/blog/when-does-the-tie-rod-end-need-to-be-replaced/

Thanks for the reply.

Not sure if the pictures they sent help at all but I have added below.

1675758974513.jpg

1675759147582.jpg

1675759179199.jpg

1675759216796.jpg

1675759249415.jpg

1675759278419.jpg

1675759777809.jpg

your last photo, looks to be a bit worn, overly compressed, and mid photo, a bit dry rotted.  11 yrs, don't last forever.

Photo of a new for a Triton 4WD:

image.png.c789cf6eb59dcc1683aae12b4a94c39a.png

From Ebay, but ballpark idea of the part:

image.png.f5332c908073fa9fbf555732bbc945cb.png

https://www.google.com/search?q=triton+tie+rod+end&newwindow=1&sxsrf=AJOqlzWds35P0pWyYuhQPSBkZg5CFaNccA:1675760011683&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj3l-bBhIP9AhU5TmwGHS7VD_4Q_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1229&bih=577&dpr=1.56#imgrc=liMcAog29MH31M

Edited by KhunLA

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

your last photo, looks to be a bit worn, overly compressed, and top photo, a bit dry rotted.  11 yrs, don't last forever.

Ok I can accept that but I noticed the big cost (relatively) on there is 4.5k for "rack steering gear" which I think is the middle bit on one of the diagram's in the article you linked to. Normal to replace at the same time or impossible to say without seeing the actual part?

Certainly can't beat the Thai pricing, why I asked if just a 'bushing' / rubber part needing replacing, as sounds a bit inexpensive.   If they even come as separate pieces, tie rod (steel) & rubber bushing.

Usually when tie rods are out of whack, you'll notice vehicle pulling to one side, or slight vibration in steering wheel at speed, or just uneven tire wear.

Does need to get replaces though.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the items listed are worn out then change them. But if they are just changing them because of split rubber boots, then no. Rubber boots are available as an aftermarket part.

Furthermore, It shows a price for the rack and then a price for a rack repair kit?

I think they are being overly picky and you need a second opinion.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

Furthermore, It shows a price for the rack and then a price for a rack repair kit?

Sorry but what are you referring to as the "rack repair kit" as I don't see that in that name on the quote?

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Those boots are rather important for keeping dirt and grit out of places it shouldn't be, that's why they're there.

Nah how big is the slit, is it open, pump some grease in clean the boot then a nice thick smear of rubber silicone. ????

2 hours ago, topt said:
2 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Sorry but what are you referring to as the "rack repair kit" as I don't see that in that name on the quote?

Item #12- In Thai it is rack repair kit.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:
2 hours ago, stubuzz said:

But if they are just changing them because of split rubber boots, then no.

Those boots are rather important for keeping dirt and grit out of places it shouldn't be, that's why they're there.

The rubber boots are available here without changing the whole unit as the dealer is advising.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some extremely irresponsible advice on here - the fact that the OP's steering system is clearly worn and leaking is hardly a catalyst for stupid jokes about "pump some grease in clean the boot then a nice thick smear of rubber silicone." Ha ha, is that how you repair your bikes?

The fact that the garage has not only given a full analysis of the costs but also provided photos that clearly show completely perished rubber parts - water/grit will have got into vital bearing surfaces of the steering system - would mean that I tend to trust the garage.

However, I agree that a little more investigation may be wise - I would get under the car to check the joints for free play (easy if you know what to look for) or else get a reputable second opinion.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Google the part numbers as I do with my Toyota and you can then clearly see what it is they are recommending.

There is already enough information on the quote to ascertain exactly the work that is proposed - essentially, a complete steering system rebuild with replacement of all parts that are subject to wear and tear.

For an 11 year old car/utility in LOS, on LOS roads, the repair list isn't unreasonable to me.

The list, seems to me, to show normal wear-and-tear parts list.

The great thing here is the cost of labour for auto-repairs is ridiculously low and for vehicles assembled in LOS the parts are cheap too (by Aussie standards anyways).