BREAKING: David Carrick given 36 life sentences with minimum term of 30 years

Was watching the Sky News live from the court earlier. Went on a bit so turned it off. Not surprised at sentences, but why make the 36 life sentences concurrent? Certainly he's a bad one like many other coppers the world over. Seems that the media is extremely focused on this (rightly so as crimes are terrible). But many police have issues and simply cannot be trusted, here in Thailand, the UK and the USA. Just send him to jail and throw away the key. 

8 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Does that mean he is going to be almost 1000 years old when he is released?

Concurrent means all sentences run at the same time so effectively he has 1 sentence of which ever is the longest time. 

Consecutive would mean he would serve 1 sentence, then the next, then the next etc… 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, it says in the headline that he will serve a minimum of 30 years in jail

Correction. Minimum of thirty tears (+ a specified number of days) before any application for parole can be heard. He won't be automatically up for release at that time.

I suspect there's a good chance that other victims will now come forward, same as happened to the serial taxi rapist, and he will be tried for those and more consecutive sentences added.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

As long as he does 30, that will probably be a life sentence, at 48 now.  Shame death sentence wasn't an option, save the tax payer some money.  Along with a few new inmates getting raped by him.

Maybe a fellow inmate will do the right thing, and save the govt some money.  One can only hope.

14 hours ago, rankric said:

He will be dead within 3 years. 

I would think he will chose to stay in solitary confinement and become a NONCE. (Not On Normal Communal Exercise)

For obvious reasons, ex police are not liked in prisons. Add to that he is a sex offender, he will be disliked even more.

He may end up at a jail like Wakefield where the peados, child murderers and rapists are housed.

I saw a headline the The Telegraph that the AG is going to review what some see as 'lenient' sentencing.

I listened to the whole deliberation preamble from Justice Mrs Justice Cheema-Grubb and she mentioned a 20% reduction due to pleading guilty. She also commented that his guilty plea was, like his suicide attempt, a self pity and self-serving decision and he was still without remorse. I was surprised that she went ahead and factored in the 'discount' anyway.

If they take away the 20%, he's gone for ever.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/02/07/met-police-rapist-david-carricks-lenient-sentence-reviewed/

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I saw a headline the The Telegraph that the AG is going to review what some see as 'lenient' sentencing.

I listened to the whole deliberation preamble from Justice Mrs Justice Cheema-Grubb and she mentioned a 20% reduction due to pleading guilty. She also commented that his guilty plea was, like his suicide attempt, a self pity and self-serving decision and he was still without remorse. I was surprised that she went ahead and factored in the 'discount' anyway.

If they take away the 20%, he's gone for ever.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/02/07/met-police-rapist-david-carricks-lenient-sentence-reviewed/

I’d much prefer we return to the practice of law without interference from the political executive.