Can we be as happy as Thais ?

Social Media

On 2/8/2023 at 11:27 AM, JonnyF said:

Many Thais are desperately unhappy, but they do a great job of hiding it. My ex-gf is a good example, hugely depressed, overworked, lots of family issues but to look at her you'd think she was having a great time. 

You think people massively in debt, often with cheating partners, with a corrupt government, low salary, long hours etc. are having a great time? This whole "Thais are smiling, happy people thing" is a trope. People who are genuinely happy don't explode with anger at a perceived slight. 

Often, those who go to great lengths to show how happy they are, are anything but...

Yep and well put. Doesn't matter one's culture and perceived happiness index, we are all still burdened with a hooman brain which can easily be a monster for anyone when unfocused and unchecked. On the other hand, the Thai propensity for living for the now is very refreshing and having spent time with humble rubber farmers, they are among the most chilled and genuine folk I have encountered.

Edited by daveAustin

Shouldn't the title by, can the locals be as happy as the expat millionaires.

If money is the priority.  Was always happy when poor, still happy now with a bit more jingle in the pocket.  Just more comforts, making things simply easier, not happier, if that's even possible ... ????

This whole "Thais are smiling, happy people thing" is a trope.

It's all show.

The 13 Smiles Of Thailand
  • Yim yaw / smirk ...
  • Yim cheun chom / smile of appreciation ...
  • Yim mai awk / can't smile ...
  • Yim mee lessanai / Yim mee lessanai ...
  • Yim chuead chuean / Slash smile ...
  • Yim dor dhaan / smile against ...
  • Yim sao / sad smile ...
  • Yim haeng / dry smile

https://www.thethailandlife.com/whats-behind-a-thai-smile

Easy, our culture is to work, collect and prepare to survive because of short seasons, if not we die, it is formed in our dna. We have seasonal happy/holy days to have a little relief before back to work.

Thailand dna and culture, is more sabai sabai because if their house blew down, have a leak, or empty food, they just picked what they needed from the jungle, 365 days a year, and most of the thais really do not have any personal responsibility, except help each other as a family.

• Thanks 1

Many Thais are desperately unhappy, but they do a great job of hiding it. My ex-gf is a good example, hugely depressed, overworked, lots of family issues but to look at her you'd think she was having a great time. 

You think people massively in debt, often with cheating partners, with a corrupt government, low salary, long hours etc. are having a great time? This whole "Thais are smiling, happy people thing" is a trope. People who are genuinely happy don't explode with anger at a perceived slight. 

Often, those who go to great lengths to show how happy they are, are anything but...

Dont you think thais being with friends and family's seems more happy? A laugh and a smile together with your loved ones, can prevent depression.

I think many foreigners underestimate the connection their wife's/gf have to their families and friends as well culture, and make a big mistake talking bad about their country, culture, families and home, and not willing to adopt or make sure they see each other during the holidays as most thais do.

Not talking about dysfunctional relations and families, generally spoken.

A very long time ago, I met a lady who was super "happy."  It turned out she cut herself a lot and cried endlessly once you became her friend.   That woke me up to looking at women to see if they had cut marks on their arms.  I've seen more than I can count.   

Money problems, relationship issues, life issues, health, hope, etc.......It's the SAME, but there is ONE BIG CATCH.

As an American, I can compare both places.  Schools, opportunity, ease of gathering wealth, material possessions, everything.......   Most Thais only know Thailand.   I really think to be really happy you need to explore the world and have many opportunities that might lead to wealth and more happiness.   

Happy isn't the word I'd use here.   Content.   That's the one problem with being an American, you are never content.  always another battle, war, hill, mountain you must take!!!!!!  If I did it over again, I would visit Thailand in my teens.........open my eyes to the world sooner......but then still go back home with a new perspective.  

44 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

As an American, I can compare both places.  Schools, opportunity, ease of gathering wealth, material possessions, everything.......   Most Thais only know Thailand.   I really think to be really happy you need to explore the world and have many opportunities that might lead to wealth and more happiness.   

I would disagree, generally the more choices people have, the less happy they are.

There's also a difference in the sexes, most men appear to be generally happy, most women don't.

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I would disagree, generally the more choices people have, the less happy they are.

There's also a difference in the sexes, most men appear to be generally happy, most women don't.

Im happy when I get food, clean home and 5 times a week! Thats all a man need, and then, a beer once and awhile, a motorbike trip, a dog, and once and awhile a gettaway from home with the missus for some nice hotel, beach and western food and whine. Thats all

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm talking about choices in education, jobs, cities, career paths...... There are billions more companies in America, more options to explore one's passion.   Besides a few cities here, you don't have many real career options.  You're talking about going to the supermarket and looking at 1000000 different kinds of soap.    lol.   I'm an 18 year old woman but I identify as a man!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not talking about The Paradox Of Choice: Why More Is Less

Rather than increasing our sense of well-being,Schwartz says that too many choices in life can cause paralysis as well as increasing levels of anxiety, depression, and wasted time.

2 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

I'm talking about choices in education, jobs, cities, career paths...... There are billions more companies in America, more options to explore one's passion.   Besides a few cities here, you don't have many real career options.  You're talking about going to the supermarket and looking at 1000000 different kinds of soap.    lol. 

There's no difference.

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Im happy when I get food, clean home and 5 times a week! Thats all a man need, and then, a beer once and awhile, a motorbike trip, a dog, and once and awhile a gettaway from home with the missus for some nice hotel, beach and western food and whine. Thats all

I've never worried about a clean home.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

On 2/8/2023 at 12:06 PM, ezzra said:

I wonder, if you ask a Thai person what is their definition of being happy, what their answer will be? if i learned anything from my many years in this country it would probably be lots of money and lucky numbers winning the lotteries..

I did ask that very question,  ......the answer was  " going to the Market and the Temple"

Are Thais really happy, behind the 'face thing'?No.

Alcolism seems to increased, same with ganja that's currently legal.

Many long time expats seen / known Thais with multiple suicide attempt and self harm. Violence in relationship is common here, same as in many other countries.

Even Thais strong bond to family, comes with a hefty price: to always be expected to send money home. A heavy burden since covid started.

Observe how many alcohol fuelled parties that ends with violence.

I used to think that Thais was so happy, living in the present, without any thoughts about tomorrow.

Then they started purchase on credit and downpayments. Their friends had new motorcycle and top end Iphone, so they 'had to buy it too' - on credit.

Buying a new pickup on 5% downpayment ... many without income to pay installments in addition to current cost of living.

Thais are not more happy than people in western countries, since Thais adopted western style, must have, must buy new new new.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've never worried about a clean home.

It doesnt come by it self, but it makes me happy to live in a clean home. 

Clean home might have a different meaning culturally.

Clean is different from France, Italy, Uk, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Usa, Dubai to Norway. My experience.

Edited by Hummin

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yep, as long as I have enough money in the pocket, transport & my dog .. I'm happy.  The rest are extras and can be bought or rented as needed.

Happiness is a vague statue, and truth is, Im most happy when I wake up early in morning, and have routines and work to do. 

This here at this fora is just wasting time, and it have to stop, then I will be happy again, even I already have 1 1/2 month on the road the last 3 months ????

Soon back to normal

On 2/11/2023 at 6:05 PM, Hummin said:

Easy, our culture is to work, collect and prepare to survive because of short seasons, if not we die, it is formed in our dna. We have seasonal happy/holy days to have a little relief before back to work.

Thais are always shocked by Westerners' pack rat mentalities.

Especially the need to stock up on physical goods and food.

A typical American, Canadian, or Australian family might get a big carload of groceries worth at least $200 every week or so. Even when Thais have money, they just don't do that. They prefer go out to get small portions of food in plastic bags from street vendors everyday.

Spending time to leisurely buy food from different vendors every single day is a waste of time for Westerners. Time is money for us Westerners. It's also because for North Americans and Australians, grocery stores take time to drive to in spread-out suburban areas, and you can't find street vendors selling som tam on every suburban street corner.

But my pack rat mentality makes no sense to most Thais, no matter how much I explain to them that I prefer to get a huge Makro Click delivery and get it all done with in order to save time. Their response: "Are you going to eat all that, or are you going to sell all that? Are you opening up a new grocery store?"