ATM withdrawal charge

sitta

52 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Why especially? 

Many years ago, (and I mean Many !!), I was moving from Phuket to Surin. I admit that what happened in the bank was partly my naivety, but anyway, I opened an account in Surin, then went to Phuket, and asked them to transfer about 1.2 million Baht to Surin. they charged me 20,000 plus Baht that I never saw until they gave me the transfer slip. A blatant rip off because each branch is treated as a separate bank. I know that other banks do it too, but it would have been nice to be told, because then I would have just withdrawn the money and took it with me. There are other issues that are more personal pertaining to a divorce, and safe boxes that I would rather not divulge on a public forum.

As I said earlier they may not be the only bank to fleece customers, but they did it to me, and ruined my trust in them.

13 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Many years ago, (and I mean Many !!), I was moving from Phuket to Surin. I admit that what happened in the bank was partly my naivety, but anyway, I opened an account in Surin, then went to Phuket, and asked them to transfer about 1.2 million Baht to Surin. they charged me 20,000 plus Baht that I never saw until they gave me the transfer slip. A blatant rip off because each branch is treated as a separate bank. I know that other banks do it too, but it would have been nice to be told, because then I would have just withdrawn the money and took it with me. There are other issues that are more personal pertaining to a divorce, and safe boxes that I would rather not divulge on a public forum.

As I said earlier they may not be the only bank to fleece customers, but they did it to me, and ruined my trust in them.

Wow, never had need to transfer between areas like that so have not experienced  similar. Still find it surprising though. This concept of each branch being somewhat independent, and owning your specific account, rather than being national, is confusing... Not apparent when I do an International transfer in. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Wow, never had need to transfer between areas like that so have not experienced  similar. Still find it surprising though. This concept of each branch being somewhat independent, and owning your specific account, rather than being national, is confusing... Not apparent when I do an International transfer in. 

There are sometimes benefits to the independence of branches. For example up here in Prasart the local Kasikorn bank ( Former Thai Farmers Bank), does not require all the paperwork that a Bangkok bank in Bangkok needs to open an account. It may of course have changed a bit in recent years, but up here several years ago I opened two accounts with only a 30 day visa exempt stamp.

On 2/9/2023 at 1:12 PM, sitta said:

Any bank will do or only few selected?

Any bank but tends to be only larger branches as lots of staff do not know you can do it. Its been a few years since I've done it but it took 3 attempts before I found a branch that would do it. Tourist areas are easier.

On 2/9/2023 at 1:06 PM, nycjoe said:

go into the bank with your debit card and passport, no fee, better rates, most banks will do it for you

On 2/9/2023 at 1:12 PM, sitta said:

Any bank will do or only few selected?

58 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

Any bank but tends to be only larger branches as lots of staff do not know you can do it. Its been a few years since I've done it but it took 3 attempts before I found a branch that would do it. Tourist areas are easier.

In the last couple of years the only reports on AN of successful cash advances from Thai banks have been from @Pib and myself.  I enquired at Kasikorn and SCB banks and they said they don't have the terminal to perform the transactions.  The terminal looks like those used at normal points of sale and produces a similar looking receipt.

17 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

In the last couple of years the only reports on AN of successful cash advances from Thai banks

I did this last week at Bangkok Bank - one of the larger branches in Bangkok.

Schwab debit card (Visa) for 170K THB (about 5K USD). 

• Thumbs Up 2

I do cash advances via fee free credit card at Krungsri. No fees applied by Krungsri. First attempt at a mall branch was refused, but most branches OK. I generally get a very slightly better result than using Wise.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, rickudon said:

I do cash advances via fee free credit card at Krungsri. No fees applied by Krungsri. First attempt at a mall branch was refused, but most branches OK. I generally get a very slightly better result than using Wise.

I only tried at only one Kasikorn and one SCB branch, both in the mall.  I'll try larger branches to see if they will do a cash advance.

That's a good credit card you have.  It's rare to have no cash advance fee and no foreign transaction fee.

10 minutes ago, rickudon said:

My experience is SCB will either refuse or add a substantial fee. Never go near them now.

Thanks for the heads up!  I currently have the funds for my retirement extension in an EZ savings account @SCB.  They opened my account with little headache and also stopped the tax withholding.

Thai banks are elbow deep in their customers.

- Charged to withdraw in another province (even at your own bank's ATM)

- Charged to withdraw from different bank's ATM

- Charged to get an ATM card

- Charged every year for having the ATM card (you already bought)

Jeez, isn't it enough we give them our money to loan out at 10% for almost nothing in return??

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

Thanks for the heads up!  I currently have the funds for my retirement extension in an EZ savings account @SCB.  They opened my account with little headache and also stopped the tax withholding.

I don't have any particular problem with having a bank account at SCB...

However, they definitely are NOT friendly toward doing counter advances, mainly because in my experience, they're one of the few Thai banks that use their own lower local exchange rate for those specific kinds of transactions.

Worth noting, though: the ability to do a counter advance/withdrawal using a foreign debit or credit card, AFAICT, has little to nothing to do with whether you also have a local TH account with that particular branch.

Whenever I've done counter withdrawals in the past at Thai banks, they did NOT happen to be branches where I also had a local account... just branches I found that were willing to do the counter withdrawal transaction.

• 1 month later...