ATM withdrawal charge

sitta

4 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

don't know where you got that idea from, if you are in Khon Kaen I'm further away than you.

Sorry mixed you up with the thread starter and the tread being  in the Pattaya forum.

I live in KK province but being in Pattaya a couple of times during the year.

The hint regarding the ATMs likely applies to all Central shopping centers and similar.

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Do Visa and MasterCard charge fees for cash advances?  :smile:

Not to the cardholder.  The fees are paid by the merchant (bank in this case). The cardholder potentially loses because the Visa and Mastercard rates are usually just below the interbank rate, but the cardholder will still be better off than by using any other method.

18 hours ago, Leaver said:

Is this not a cost or "fee" to the card holder, for doing the transaction?

No. The only caveat is the MasterCard exchange rate, which is perhaps up to 0.5% off the midmarket rate, but it’s the same rate you get when you use the card for purchases etc. 
Any extra charges come from the individual’s bank. For those that don’t charge anything, you get the full MasterCard or VISA exchange rate. 

• Like 2

In answer to the OP's main question, I don't think there is ANY Thai ATM you can use anymore with a foreign ATM/debit card (VISA or MC) that won't charge a flat amount withdrawal fee, generally 220b except for AEON's lesser fee with a lower withdrawal limit.

About the best you can do with Thai bank ATM withdrawals using a foreign card is to have a home country bank/card that reimburses you for other banks' ATM fees, and in the case here, that needs to include international ones, not just domestic ATM fees in the country where your bank card was issued.

Charles Schwab Bank U.S. is one of those, and their ATM fee reimbursements technically are unlimited. But I have several worldwide ATM fee reimbursing accounts from the U.S., which are relatively rare in general, and most typically have a monthly limit of say $12 to $15 in ATM fees.

With Schwab, I say their fee reimbursements technically are unlimited, because, another member here recently got a message from Schwab Bank threatening to close his accounts because he had international activity that suggested to Schwab he might not be a resident of the U.S. as required...

See the following thread:

For reasons such as those variously cited in the above thread, I generally try to do my foreign ATM / debit card withdrawals from smaller home country BANK accounts that are different and separate from the brokerage accounts where I keep my retirement savings and investments.

In short, I try to avoid foreign country transactions as much as possible in my main brokerage accounts. I know the Schwab ATM fee reimbursements are a nice perk, but the potential downsides/hassles like member @IAMHERE encountered makes me want to avoid the potential risk, especially since I have other available options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

We're talking here about what's generally called a "counter withdrawal" -- where you use your VISA or MC debit card with the bank's counter/teller instead of the ATM.

The Thai banks generally SHOULD allow those, but it tends to be hit an miss in reality. Some staff will refuse and instead  tell you to use their ATMs... The best you can do is try branch to branch.

The Thai banks generally should not impose any flat rate or percentage fee for that kind of transaction... but I think one or two did begin charging fees for that... including SCB, I think.

It's kind of like a cash advance using a credit card. Except, because it's a DEBIT card and it's already your own money in your checking account, your card's bank isn't going to charge any advance fees...

However, if the card you're using charges any foreign currency conversion fees, like many do, those would still apply to a counter withdrawal transaction --the same as they would for an ATM withdrawal or POS purchase.

What the counter withdrawal avoids is the 220b per withdrawal ATM fee that Thai ATMs charge against foreign cards.

Good explanation. Let me add a bit. I used to use Bangkok Bank counter withdrawals exclusively to get cash. They recently stopped, saying their machines would no longer accept debit withdrawals, and they attempted to do one and it failed. I searched other banks and only Krungsri(sp?), the yellow one, would do the counter withdrawal, but limited to 15k per day. 

The old line used by the banks was that your card needed to be embossed or they couldn't accept it. Now it's cannot do with debit card. All silly games to make you use the ATM and pay the exorbitant associated fees.

I've opened an account at K-Bank, the green one, with much less hassle than opening the bkk bank ones. I'll be using wise for foreign money and moving the money currently in bkk bank there also. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, gargamon said:

I used to use Bangkok Bank counter withdrawals exclusively to get cash. They recently stopped, saying their machines would no longer accept debit withdrawals, and they attempted to do one and it failed.

In my experience, the refusals of counter withdrawals by Thai  bank branches generally have been specific to individual branches -- and not some kind of bank-wide policy against them.

I've heard all kinds of excuses from different branches of different Thai bank companies of why they can't or won't do them. But in general, it's often seemed to be one of two things... either...

a. they simply want you to use their ATMs instead, either because it's less work and hassle for them and/or they're aware that it means more fee income for the bank, and/or

b. doing the counter withdrawal transaction often involved them running your card thru one of those portable card reading machines, and then entering the correct commands to successfully accomplish the transaction. In my experience, some tellers simply don't know how to execute it correctly, and they end up getting error messages on their machines.

The counter withdrawal transaction involving a foreign bank debit card is not something most Thai bank branch tellers typically would have a lot of experience doing... And the workplace education levels here, as is well-known, leave a lot to be desired....

Have you tried any other BKK Bank branches before assuming it's some kind of bank-wide policy?

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 1:08 PM, nycjoe said:

there are banks that cover atm fees worldwide, Schwab is one of them

yes it is...they reimburse all the fees any atm may charge you anywhere ....open account online but i think u have to have a usa (or maybe europe etc not sure) address for them to send you your card...fees are reimbursed in full regardless of amount u withdraw so you don't feel obligated to withdraw big amounts to cut down on cost to get your money out...easy

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In answer to the OP's main question, I don't think there is ANY Thai ATM you can use anymore with a foreign ATM/debit card (VISA or MC) that won't charge a flat amount withdrawal fee, generally 220b except for AEON's lesser fee with a lower withdrawal limit.

About the best you can do with Thai bank ATM withdrawals using a foreign card is to have a home country bank/card that reimburses you for other banks' ATM fees, and in the case here, that needs to include international ones, not just domestic ATM fees in the country where your bank card was issued.

Charles Schwab Bank U.S. is one of those, and their ATM fee reimbursements technically are unlimited. But I have several worldwide ATM fee reimbursing accounts from the U.S., which are relatively rare in general, and most typically have a monthly limit of say $12 to $15 in ATM fees.

With Schwab, I say their fee reimbursements technically are unlimited, because, another member here recently got a message from Schwab Bank threatening to close his accounts because he had international activity that suggested to Schwab he might not be a resident of the U.S. as required...

See the following thread:

For reasons such as those variously cited in the above thread, I generally try to do my foreign ATM / debit card withdrawals from smaller home country BANK accounts that are different and separate from the brokerage accounts where I keep my retirement savings and investments.

In short, I try to avoid foreign country transactions as much as possible in my main brokerage accounts. I know the Schwab ATM fee reimbursements are a nice perk, but the potential downsides/hassles like member @IAMHERE encountered makes me want to avoid the potential risk, especially since I have other available options.

i opened a chas schwab checking account online in five minutes..no member requirement and have been using card in thailand for a year and never paid a penny in ATM fees....i have had no downsides and no hassles at all....maybe they changed something since i opened my account but a quick google search and visit to charles schwab checking account will give you the details with a few clicks

2 hours ago, pomchop said:

i opened a chas schwab checking account online in five minutes..no member requirement and have been using card in thailand for a year and never paid a penny in ATM fees....i have had no downsides and no hassles at all....maybe they changed something since i opened my account but a quick google search and visit to charles schwab checking account will give you the details with a few clicks

Yep, it's hard to tell or know why some card users run into the "we think you don't live in the U.S." problems, and others can continue using their cards here just fine.

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Have you tried any other BKK Bank branches before assuming it's some kind of bank-wide policy?

The branch I have been doing counter withdrawals at for years is the one that is now refusing. Same tellers and manager. As I stated, they actually ran my card through the same machine that has always worked in the past and it was rejected. Now they may have punched some buttons that caused it to fail, but I'm not familiar enough to determine that. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 2:36 AM, JoseThailand said:

As I posted, Bangkok Bank and Krungsri don't charge cash advance fees.

Banks don't do anything for free. If they don't charge you a fee, they make their money on the exchange rate. The banks always give you a lower exchange rate than most money changers, and probably lower than the MC or VISA rate.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Banks don't do anything for free. If they don't charge you a fee, they make their money on the exchange rate. The banks always give you a lower exchange rate than most money changers, and probably lower than the MC or VISA rate.

Most certainly the rates they offer posted up on their walls are rather poorer than the TT Exchange down the road, or MC/Visa rates.....