Bank other than Bangkok Bank for Monthly Deposits - Retirement Extension

3 minutes ago, norbra said:

The Kbank credit advice pdf is digitally signed no problems 

Can you send PM me or post a copy with any sensitive information blacked out.  I have to go back to immigration today and I am going to ask if these are accepted.  Thank you.  

Been with Bangkok Bank since about 2006.

I do my extension based on pension. Immigration always ask to see thirteen months deposits.

I order a twelve month statement 2-3 months early. Then the day before I visit Immigration I order a statement for the remaining period plus the letter detailing all deposits from the UK. 

On the day, I order the letter saying that I own the account and what the balance is. Also update my bank book… copy front page and last page which shows updated balance.

Never have a problem. Seems from comments I may be a little fortunate.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

I order a twelve month statement 2-3 months early. Then the day before I visit Immigration I order a statement for the remaining period plus the letter detailing all deposits from the UK. 

Well that means you go to the bank early.  Order the statement.  Go back to the bank after it is ready and pick it up.  Then go back to the bank on the day you are planning to go to immigration.  Get a statement for the missing period and order the letter.  In my case they said letter would not be done on the same day so that meant yet another 1 hour round trip to Pattaya Klang and when I got to immigration they noted my name, and transactions were correct, but the account number listed was not.  So again another 1 hour round trip to Pattaya Klang and of course that wonderful experience of parking, entering and getting into the queue again at immigration. 

Nope 4 years of this at Bangkok Bank.  Time to find a bank that can do it same day and do it correcty. 

2 minutes ago, norbra said:

CreditAdvice_COPY.pdf 134.83 kB · 0 downloads

Thank You I will show that to immigration and see if he says that is acceptable.  Seems to me between these, the Wise monthly confirmations and the monthly statments they have a belt, suspender, and a second pair of pants to make sure the monthly deposits are truly there. 

3 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Thank You I will show that to immigration and see if he says that is acceptable.  Seems to me between these, the Wise monthly confirmations and the monthly statments they have a belt, suspender, and a second pair of pants to make sure the monthly deposits are truly there. 

Cheang Wattana do not want Wise docs,just bank letter,12 month statement,bank book,updated and copies as well as transaction credit advices

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, norbra said:

Cheang Wattana do not want Wise docs,just bank letter,12 month statement,bank book,updated and copies as well as transaction credit advices

FYI I showed the credit advises to Chonburi immigration and they said they were not acceptable.  It had to be a complete 12 month report not 12 single credit advices.  Doesn't make sense but then again this is both the government and Thailand. 

29 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

FYI I showed the credit advises to Chonburi immigration and they said they were not acceptable.  It had to be a complete 12 month report not 12 single credit advices.  Doesn't make sense but then again this is both the government and Thailand. 

What a pain,maybe there is such a document that Kbank can provide.

Chonburi immigration certainly not user friendly 

Edited by norbra

23 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Been with Bkk Bank for 12 years with no problems whatsoever.

Bangkok bank so far is the best bank I have used in Thailand in the last 20 years or so...

"One thing is for certain, the branch personnel here are not well trained.  Though I have found often there is a greater degree of capability you have to continue to dog them until you find someone with a degree of knowledge.  The easiest response here is Thailand is No we don't do that.  The vast majority of time, they do, but they personally don't know how so rather than lose face, they find it easier and more expedient to say NO."

The above quote may say it all - it is the people you deal with more than the company... 

Build relationship with the bank manager and politely talk to him or her when you have a problem and tell them you need help.

During COVID I needed to order a corporate bank statement and needed a company certificate. I did not want to go stand in line to get it at a government office - so the manager went online and ordered for me from the government office. Probably easy to do if you speak Thai and are familiar with their website. Also, I could have had my CPA do it but it would been more time and money.

A related story a very long time ago I interviewed right out of school at a large company. During the interview I mentioned how I thought the staff and managers of the office that I was going to work at was what was important. The interviewing manager smiled and said you are correct.

Moral of the story is that people and good relationships are important - more than company's.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Bangkok bank so far is the best bank I have used in Thailand in the last 20 years or so...

"One thing is for certain, the branch personnel here are not well trained.  Though I have found often there is a greater degree of capability you have to continue to dog them until you find someone with a degree of knowledge.  The easiest response here is Thailand is No we don't do that.  The vast majority of time, they do, but they personally don't know how so rather than lose face, they find it easier and more expedient to say NO."

The above quote may say it all - it is the people you deal with more than the company... 

Build relationship with the bank manager and politely talk to him or her when you have a problem and tell them you need help.

During COVID I needed to order a corporate bank statement and needed a company certificate. I did not want to go stand in line to get it at a government office - so the manager went online and ordered for me from the government office. Probably easy to do if you speak Thai and are familiar with their website. Also, I could have had my CPA do it but it would been more time and money.

A related story a very long time ago I interviewed right out of school at a large company. During the interview I mentioned how I thought the staff and managers of the office that I was going to work at was what was important. The interviewing manager smiled and said you are correct.

Moral of the story is that people and good relationships are important - more than company's.

The op is looking for alternatives not testimonials

32 minutes ago, norbra said:

What a pain,maybe there is such a document that Kbank can provide.

Chonburi immigration certainly not user friendly 

I went to Kasikorn yesterday.  They said they could do the letter, did not know if it would be same day however the only branch that could do that was in Pattaya Klang.  That is a 1 hour round trip for me.  If it was not done the same day it would be two trips.  I found SCB does everything including the letter same day.  Can get 6 month, 1 year, 18 month, 2 year statement etc all same day and the same with the letter and any branch of SCB.  So guess where my deposits go from now on. 

28 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

I went to Kasikorn yesterday.  They said they could do the letter, did not know if it would be same day however the only branch that could do that was in Pattaya Klang.  That is a 1 hour round trip for me.  If it was not done the same day it would be two trips.  I found SCB does everything including the letter same day.  Can get 6 month, 1 year, 18 month, 2 year statement etc all same day and the same with the letter and any branch of SCB.  So guess where my deposits go from now on. 

If you are using Wise for your transfers then you have a problem as your deposits SCB will code them as a local transaction.

You will have to persue credit advice from Wise partner bank,Kbank Deemoney yellow bank. Each transaction will require you to visit the partner bank

Or maybe Wise have a SWIFT option to send to SCB

Edited by norbra

22 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Well that is not saying a lot.  I have worked for major banks in the USA for over 30 years.  In 1972 I worked for a regional bank, very small by today's standards.  We could print a bank statement for a customer at any branch any time immediately.  

I have been with Bangkok Bank now for 4 years.  Each time you qsk anything it is like the customer service person has never heard the qustion before.  They must have thousands of expatriates who require bank statements and guarantee letters, yet they have that look like a deer in the headlights of a car.  Totally blank stares. 

One way or another this nonsense about only being able to get information at the branch you opened it at is ridiculous.  What if the person lived in Chaing Mai and moved during the year to Phuket.  Even if they opened a new account in Phuket some of those transactions would still be on the old account.  Does Bankgok bank really expect someone living in Phuket to have to drive to Chaing Mai to order a statement and then drive there and back again to retrieve it.  Given my experience there is little to no chance that even if someone was willing to do that, they would get the right papers and statements the first trip. 

2 hours ago, norbra said:

The op is looking for alternatives not testimonials

You are correct - and if you reread my post carefully you would see that my point is that it is all about the people so the implied alternative is to go to another branch or create a relationship with the bank manager. or both...

1 minute ago, TravelerEastWest said:

You are correct - and if you reread my post carefully you would see that my point is that it is all about the people so the implied alternative is to go to another branch or create a relationship with the bank manager. or both...

He doesn't want another branch he wants an alternative bank

24 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Well that is not saying a lot.  I have worked for major banks in the USA for over 30 years.  In 1972 I worked for a regional bank, very small by today's standards.  We could print a bank statement for a customer at any branch any time immediately.  

I have been with Bangkok Bank now for 4 years.  Each time you qsk anything it is like the customer service person has never heard the qustion before.  They must have thousands of expatriates who require bank statements and guarantee letters, yet they have that look like a deer in the headlights of a car.  Totally blank stares. 

One way or another this nonsense about only being able to get information at the branch you opened it at is ridiculous.  What if the person lived in Chaing Mai and moved during the year to Phuket.  Even if they opened a new account in Phuket some of those transactions would still be on the old account.  Does Bankgok bank really expect someone living in Phuket to have to drive to Chaing Mai to order a statement and then drive there and back again to retrieve it.  Given my experience there is little to no chance that even if someone was willing to do that, they would get the right papers and statements the first trip. 

I agree 100% with you service in banks these days is not very good - including Bankbook Bank and most of the US banks taht I have visited (which is few and none in person recently) We could discuss the pros and cons for a long time but as you know banks we don't need to...

I go to the same branch of Bangkok bank all the time and don't have problems. I can get an immigration letter and bank statements and be in and out in about 15 minutes. But i use my home branch and know the tellers and manager. Very simple old fashioned business practice to know who your are dealing with I think you will agree?

As for your moving example I don't think it will normally be an issue as you only need I think around 3 months of a bank balance (and immigration will probably accept two letters and bank statements if you want to show them six months - but if it was going to be an issue again go see your friendly local bank manager before you go and explain and ask him to help. 99% chance he will help you - it is his job.

4 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

I agree 100% with you service in banks these days is not very good - including Bankbook Bank and most of the US banks taht I have visited (which is few and none in person recently) We could discuss the pros and cons for a long time but as you know banks we don't need to...

I go to the same branch of Bangkok bank all the time and don't have problems. I can get an immigration letter and bank statements and be in and out in about 15 minutes. But i use my home branch and know the tellers and manager. Very simple old fashioned business practice to know who your are dealing with I think you will agree?

As for your moving example I don't think it will normally be an issue as you only need I think around 3 months of a bank balance (and immigration will probably accept two letters and bank statements if you want to show them six months - but if it was going to be an issue again go see your friendly local bank manager before you go and explain and ask him to help. 99% chance he will help you - it is his job.

Yeah take your friendly bank manager to immigration for a chat  so the manager can be made aware of what immigration requires of him and his branch 

Simples

8 minutes ago, norbra said:

He doesn't want another branch he wants an alternative bank

Thank you for your comments - you are very focused in your ways - I would make a joke and suggest that you are an accountant but actually most accountants that I know are clever and like thinking creatively.

1) My guess is that he wants an alternative that works; if he could stay at his current branch and have his manager there take care of him - he would probably be happy but if not he can speak and act for himself. he might be so upset with the bank that no matter what he wants a new account.

2) I very much appreciate it when someone takes the time to offer a positive suggestion that might even work - if it is off course or outside the box a bit, so much the better.

Just now, norbra said:

Yeah take your friendly bank manager to immigration for a chat  so the manager can be made aware of what immigration requires of him and his branch 

Simples

In 20 years I have never once had a problem with a letter or statement - so I would say that experienced bank managers in big cities know what immigration needs - from experience.

Not sure about small town banks in the countryside...

3 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

In 20 years I have never once had a problem with a letter or statement - so I would say that experienced bank managers in big cities know what immigration needs - from experience.

Not sure about small town banks in the countryside...

I have been getting extensions for retirement for 20 years also and never once needed to call for a bank manager,maybe because I have steered clear of BKK bank.

On 2/9/2023 at 8:23 AM, Longwood50 said:

ONLY THE BRANCH OFFICE YOU OPENED YOUR ACCOUNT AT CAN HELP YOU.  Now that is truly nonsensicle

It shouldn't be but I believe it is this way because each branch is independently owned. Many years ago, after living in Bkk and moving upcountry, I was told that I would be charged a fee to deposit money into my own account - at another branch... 

I am with Kasikorn now and for many many years. when I call my bank in USA for a money transfer, at night here, the money is in my account at Kasi the next day... the exchange rate is reasonable. They have always been helpful w/other things as well. 

32 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

It shouldn't be but I believe it is this way because each branch is independently owned.

Now that is just plain false.  Each may be its own profit center reporting its income and expenses but they are all owned by their respective organization whether that be Bangkok Bank, SCB, Krungthai or any other.  Othewise they would all have to be separate bank charters each with its own board of directors, and capital. 

1 hour ago, TravelerEastWest said:

I can get an immigration letter and bank statements and be in and out in about 15 minutes.

That is true if you are doing the 800,000 baht method.  It is not true if you are doing monthly 65,000 baht transfers.  That requires a 1 year statement and Bangkok Bank apparently is still using hand posting in ledger cards.  The branch has to request a statement from Bangkok and it takes about one week.  The statement is printed on an old dot matrix printer like you see in Makro.  The statement comes in paper that has to be burst and decolated. That means the sheets run continuously and have to be manually ripped apart and the perforated holes on the side of the paper stripped away. 

I have not seen equipment like that in over 30 years.  I find it amazing that I can go into a store open my phone and pay a bill based on a QR code but then go into a branch that can not look up my account history.  I started working for a bank in 1972 and we had better technolgoy than that 50 years ago. 

2 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Now that is just plain false.  Each may be its own profit center reporting its income and expenses but they are all owned by their respective organization whether that be Bangkok Bank, SCB, Krungthai or any other.  Othewise they would all have to be separate bank charters each with its own board of directors, and capital. 

I was told that but if not so, they are certainly run that way.. as noted, I could not deposit into my Bangkok bank passbook from another branch w/o paying a fee... 

I have used Kasi in 2 different cities and got a new book for each one... and each one has been able to provide a letter in less than an hour. No problem. 

In my small city days w/Bangkok Bank - I was waiting in the queue and the security guard came over and asked for my passbook. I handed it to him thinking maybe he was going to usher me over to a manager. He just looked at the balance and handed it back to me. He was curious how much was in my account. 

The purpose of the story is that would never happen in your USA bank - - not sure how long you have been here but you will find things to be different in many ways that do not make sense to you. Jai yen yen and go with the flow - - 

4 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

SCB Good decision imo...plus they have a big branch office on Jomtien beach road (staffed pretty much clued up on all immigration matters)under 2kms from Immigration  opens 8.30 to 15.30 Mon To Fri ...so any disasters at Immigration hop on a baht bus there back (like i did in December) in under 30 mins (no point in moving me parked motor for the sake of 20baht.

5 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I was told that but if not so, they are certainly run that way.. as noted, I could not deposit into my Bangkok bank passbook from another branch w/o paying a fee... 

That would seem to indicate that each bank was a profit center and did not want to perform a service for another branch without charging for it.  Your experience would demonstrate that it was not that they could not do it for another branch but rather they were going to charge you for it. 

Most likely the branch personnel are paid some form of additional compensation based on branch profitability.  So they try and keep any services performed for another branch to a minimum or charge for them.  

One way there is only one chartered bank, and all the branches are owned by that bank.  

1 minute ago, keithsimmonds said:

SCB Good decision imo...plus they have a big branch office on Jomtien beach road (staffed pretty much clued up on all immigration matters)under 2kms from Immigration  opens 8.30 to 15.30 Mon To Fri ...so any disasters at Immigration hop on a baht bus there back (like i did in December) in under 30 mins (no point in moving me parked motor for the sake of 20baht.

Do you do Wise transfers into your SCB account and are they coded as FTT ( foreign transfers)  One post said that no they come as domestic transfers. 

5 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Do you do Wise transfers into your SCB account and are they coded as FTT ( foreign transfers)  One post said that no they come as domestic transfers. 

I do Wise transfers but not for immigration purposes,so i do not state that as a reason for the transfer...which may or may not result in the proper coding.