Dongtan Beach area and Traffic

Social Media

Is that roadway actually officially one way?  I have never noticed any signage indicating that.

I think there are times, and this is one where there is actually no "good" solution.  It certainly would help if parking rules were enforced but as every major city and resort finds out, enforcing strict parking rules creates it's own problems.

I remember once my home city opened a "Bike Lane" along a major thoroughfare. Of course, cars constantly parked in the bike lane "just for 5 minutes". Bicyclist complained so the city announced all cars parked in the bike lane would be towed.  The towing program began and guess where the tow trucks parked while waiting to tow the illegally parked cars?  In the bike lane, of course.

Widening the beach road probably won't help either as it will simply attract more cars and not solve anything.

I'm sure the local residents are outraged but hey, you buy or rent a house on a major beach in a major tourist town during high season, just what do you expect?

In a way, it probably works as well as it ever will as it is now.  It really is kind of self-limiting.  The worse the traffic becomes, the more drivers will decide to park or drive elsewhere.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, dddave said:

Is that roadway actually officially one way?  I have never noticed any signage indicating that.

Been riding with the scooter up and down so often.

I don't have the slightest memory about traffic signs there.

From the police box down a long stretch it's definitely a two way road and wide enough.

At some point it simply becomes narrow and the mess can start.

I can not even remember white/red on the curb to indicate parking forbidden.

Coming from Thepprasit Soi 5 (Sands Cafe) there is also nothing in signs that I remember.

And they scratch their heads why there is a mess???

Edited by KhunBENQ

The road is two-way, and plenty wide enough except at weekends and holidays when selfish people park so as to reduce the width to just one vehicle. Maybe they should make it one-way on weekends and holidays, the rest of the time there's no problem?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Been riding with the scooter up and down so often.

I don't have the slightest memory about traffic signs there."

Look down - painted "Arrows" on tarmac on both ends ????

Changes from two-way 2-lane to one-lane at Water World.

Plenty of room to all. I walk there daily 1-2 times and never seen arguments etc.

The best place to take a 12-15km walk from Sands to other end of Jomtien and back.

On 2/9/2023 at 9:06 PM, dddave said:

Officially it might be even 3-way, however does not matter. I live here and use it daily for years, been 2 way since it was opened for traffic few years go.

The only practical solution would be to make it one way at least for cars, could also allow parking for beachgoers if so. The problem is that it is impossible to make it work if parking AND two-way allowed. And parking you can ban but hard to enforce, so even if you'd ban parking, would still have problem if 2-way. Makingit 1-way with signage, people will learn fairly quicky.

Keeping it two-way is just one symptom of lack of brains somewhere...