Does it matter where you initially get a bank account?

3 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

I'm not sure about Krungsri ... I know KBank does and my previous Bangkok Bank did a few years back.

If you haven't noticed yet your bank may not or you haven't noticed it.

Yes. You can avoid the fee by using Cardless ATM on your phone though.

I never use my card, I always use my phone these days. Scan the barcodes in store, or use PromptPay in the market!

On 2/12/2023 at 10:04 AM, InlandSea said:

If you initially set up your bank account in Bangkok but move to Chiang Mai, would you ever need to go back to the Bangkok branch or could you do everything in Chiang Mai (as far as paperwork for visa reporting (proof of funds), getting a secured credit card)? 

Depends on the bank.  Certain banks such as SCB and Kasikorn say they can do everything at every branch.  Other banks such as Bangkok bank "say" you must go back to the branch you opened your account at for certain things like 1 year bank statement and monthly letter of deposit for immigration. 

One way or antother I probaby if I moved open a new account where I now lived to make sure that I did have problems.  I would keep the old account active for some time to make sure there was never a need to access the old records from it. 

• Like 1