Trouble brewing for heavy Tea drinkers !

Social Media

Trouble may be brewing for heavy tea drinkers, a dementia study found.

Cuppa fans supping more than 13 a day may raise their risk of developing Alzheimer’s.

The Chinese University of Hong Kong team said each extra cup ­“significantly decreased grey matter” in the brain, which “indicates over-drinking tea might lead to a decline in language and memory functions.”

They added: “Our results shed light on a novel possible mechanism of tea intake to increase the risk [of Alzheimer’s] by ­reducing brain volume.”

However, they also found one to six cups of tea a day may actually cut the risk of dementia.

29 minutes ago, Black Ops said:

However, they also found one to six cups of tea a day may actually cut the risk of dementia.

There is a huge difference between a correlation and a causation.  I could run a study of those who ate donuts and dementia and if the study showed that those that ate more donuts had a higher incidence of dementia I could report that but that does not mean eating donuts caused the dementia.  Conversely if the study showed those eating lots of donuts had a lower incidence of dementia it does not show that eating donuts can help you reduce your incidence of dementia. 

You have to have two groups virtually identical, one drinking lots of tea and the other drinking virtually none.  Even then it is virtually impossible to make the two groups identical with no differenting factors.  You could run animal tests with two groups that might be more telling but I can recall for many years things like Coffee, Sacharin, Wine, Turkey Bacon and numerous other products were bad for you but later found not only not to be bad but in some cases like Wine and Coffee actually good for you. 

Bottom line, do everything in moderation.  The Japanese drink lots of tea and their average lifespan in 84.62 years.  They have a death rate from dementia at 7.87 per 100,000.  Finland who I doubt drinks lots of tea has a death rate of 54.62 per 100,000 and is the highest in the world.  Singapore which I would suspect drinks lots of tea has the lowest rate in the world at .43 per 100,000.  So much for tea being bad for you.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

My parents 87 probably drink about 6 cups or less of English tea a day, they're fine

I personally drink 'about six cups or less' than that. I drink TWO as far as I can remember.

Edited by KannikaP

6 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

You hum it son, I'll play it.

Ah yes, that reminds me of the old joke about the piano player in a pub who has a pet monkey to accompany him, which does various tricks, however unfortunately the monkey lifts its leg and pees in a guys beer, so he goes over to the piano player and says, "do you know your monkeys peed in my beer"...........and the piano player says, "you hum it son, I'll play it".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1