Question about booking Flight with Thai Airways/Emirates with no Passport

12 hours ago, eisfeld said:

And if the system requires a passport number then put the current one in and update it once you get your new passport.

Banks, Immigration offices, airlines and many more situations know that passport numbers change becaue of compulsory expire / re-issue. Can't see this is a problem. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Caldera said:

Passport details are usually asked for during online check-in, not when the ticket is booked initially. 

Not generally the case, most countries now require API and  many airlines have it included, Emirates certainly but I don't know about Thai Airways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_Passenger_Information_System

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Not generally the case, most countries now require API and  many airlines have it included, Emirates certainly but I don't know about Thai Airways.

With APIS, information is collected at check-in time. I've flown into Thailand (which requires APIS) many times and I've never had to provide my passport details before check-in (online or at the airport). So collecting that information at booking time certainly isn't a requirement imposed by APIS.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Caldera said:

With APIS, information is collected at check-in time. I've flown into Thailand (which requires APIS) many times and I've never had to provide my passport details before check-in (online or at the airport). So collecting that information at booking time certainly isn't a requirement imposed by APIS.

API is not collected at check-in, the airline check that the booking and passport match or you will not be allowed to board. With the introduction of self check-in machines that check is now also carried out before security.

API is intended to facilitate advanced passenger processing and check-in is too late to be of any use. Many airlines have incorporated it into the booking process and ask that is supplied at least, I think 3 days, before deprture.

It is not mandatory and if people have no interest in reducing immigration queues they can continue to ignore it.

All inbound passengers to Thailand pay 30 baht for advance processing, I often wonder why people are not complaining about that.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I booked my flight with emirates and I was not asked for my passport number. Havent booked a flight since before covid and couldnt remember and have never booked a flight without a valid passport before. 

Yesterday I tried to book a ferry trip with Lomprayah High Speed ferries www.lomprayah.com and they are asking me for my passport number and date of birth. Honestly I think this is a joke, important information requested for a short ferry trip.

On 2/14/2023 at 3:02 PM, sandyf said:

Many countries are getting more and more serious about security from many angles.

Australia is making progress towards holding a retina scan for everybody and that includes tourists etc., coming into Australia short term, even a few days.

Thai friend (professional guy, engineer, own business, plenty of assets) applied to take his wife and 16 year old son for a holiday and to research possibility of son attending uni Sydney or Melbourne.

Visas all granted fairly quickly however appoval letter highlighed they needed to quickly go to one of several place in LOS to have retina scans which must be submitted direct to to Aust. Border Force.

All done, a few days later an e.mail from Border Force, scans received and accepted. 

On 2/15/2023 at 3:13 PM, scorecard said:

Many countries are getting more and more serious about security from many angles.

The UK has been taking biometrics for visa applications for many years.

In fact I have been to Bangkok today with my wife to submit hers, required every application. The EU collect biometrics every 5 years.

I wonder what people on here would say if Thailand started collecting biometrics for visa applications.

Hold on, the term "racist" comes to mind.