Costs involved in doing border run from Udon to Nong Khai

Anyone know the approximate cost of getting from Udon airport to the border and back, plus the fee for crossing into Laos?

I can get a return flight from Chiang Mai to Ho Chi Minh city for only 4,450 Baht. I doubt the Chiang Mai to Udon flight; plus transport to and from the airport; plus entry fee would be cheaper and there is less hassle.

Taxi drivers at Udon airport seem to ask 200 bt to Central . It should be possible to do Udon ---> border , cross into Laos , cross back , then NK ---> Udon in one day . Total cost ...200 + 55 + c. 1400 ( or $ 40 for visa ) + 60 ( bus across bridge x 2 ) + 55 = a grand total of 1800 bt . ( plus maybe 30 bt for snacks / drinks ) .

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, persimmon said:

Taxi drivers at Udon airport seem to ask 200 bt to Central . It should be possible to do Udon ---> border , cross into Laos , cross back , then NK ---> Udon in one day . Total cost ...200 + 55 + c. 1400 ( or $ 40 for visa ) + 60 ( bus across bridge x 2 ) + 55 = a grand total of 1800 bt . ( plus maybe 30 bt for snacks / drinks ) .

Citizens of Switzerland and Japan do not pay for visas.

15 hours ago, csaba81 said:

I can get a return flight from Chiang Mai to Ho Chi Minh city for only 4,450 Baht.

If you are from eligible country you can get 15 days visa exempt into Vietnam and a nicer experience.

Only problem comes if you need to go to the consulate.

15 hours ago, csaba81 said:

I can get a return flight from Chiang Mai to Ho Chi Minh city for only 4,450 Baht

Reasonable deal (from Bangkok 3600baht)

For anyone contemplating trip to Saigon ....I just had a 2 week in Saigon and ripper place.

No vax checks etc on arrival. 

From airport very easy bus ($1) to district 1 for chilled break..

Note you will need to show onward flight for return. 

Edited by DrJack54