10 years under Prayut Thailand lost money, opportunities and time – Pita Limjaroenrat

webfact

7 hours ago, Srikcir said:

This article is fake news.

The Constitution Court ruled in 2022 that Prayut was NOT PM 2014-2018. 

But he WAS effectively in charge of the country.

Please tell us all, if Prayuth was NOT the PM de facto, then WHO WAS running the country?

23 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But he WAS effectively in charge of the country.

Please tell us all, if Prayuth was NOT the PM de facto, then WHO WAS running the country?

Now that's a leading question - will we ever know? 

7 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

When Prayuth came in power everybody was positive that there would be some changes for the best of the country and its people, However after 2 years everybody started to complain that his promisses were nothing than hot air, and the country went down, the economy, the tourist sector already, and nothing was done....It is sad that the country is thrown back instead went forward under this regime.. And still nothing is changing and happiness for away, as I hear from many Thai people.... And the PM thinks he did a good job, but watch him if he get difficult questions, or critics... He doesn't act as an adult politician. It will cost a lot of money and time to rebuilt the country, but it is very difficult as long as the army and its backup stay in power....  

The facts do not agree with your comments:

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/tourist-arrivals

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/gdp-growth-annual

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/current-account

Screenshot (45).png

Screenshot (46).png

Screenshot (47).png

8 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Now that's a leading question - will we ever know? 

According to the poster  @fusion58 It is pretty much as I remembered, therefore Prayuth WAS the PM at the time. Whether he was de facto or de jure at the time is immaterial really.

He called the coup, ran it, won it and took over the country, so IMHO the responsibility is/was his 100%.

fusion58
Mojo Member
fusion58
Advanced Member
1299 posts
Popular Post
Posted 5 hours ago
Remember when, right after the coup, he promised he would stay on only temporarily as acting PM? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

click on 25 yrs and you will see trading is going down as you can see the average line goes down..

The grow is if you click on 25 yrs is not so improving too..

and Tourism looks the same but the figures are not reliable at this moment...

3 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

click on 25 yrs and you will see trading is going down as you can see the average line goes down..

The grow is if you click on 25 yrs is not so improving too..

and Tourism looks the same but the figures are not reliable at this moment...

Click on Max and it goes down even further, the economy dipped from 1995 until 2010, was that also Prayut's fault! It only goes to prove that the Asian Crisis in 1997 had a profound effect on the Thai economy that took many years before it reached any kind of norm. There's also the Global Financial Crisis in 2008 , Sub Prime in 2012 and Taper Tantrum in 2013, all of which had a profound effect on the Thai economy. All events that were outside of Thai control but events they had to manage......especially EM taper tantrum, that was was Prayut inherited.   

You really need to brush up on your global economics rather than trying to blame the Thai military for everything, why not blame them for global warming also!

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

A decade of nothing but they have put the country back two decades in reality.

It will take  along time to turn the national economy around to give the young generation real job opportunities.

Instead of the girls heading to the beaches to prop up the GDP and the boys on the dole.

I feel sorry for those graduating into a vacuum.

The economy is of course an iportant point.

Also, subjects like civil society, police recruitment, the quality and valuable focus also needs major attention. And buildin real credibiliy of the police, still needs years of work.

Also, proper education re the value of real democracy, how to build and maintain real demoracy, how to run real and fair election with no vote buying/rigging. And install policies which allow and listen to protest.

Also, understanding how to develop /implement policies re human rights, disabilities, opportunity to speak freely without strong fear of strong punishment for speaking the truth.

And more. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

According to the poster  @fusion58 It is pretty much as I remembered, therefore Prayuth WAS the PM at the time. Whether he was de facto or de jure at the time is immaterial really.

He called the coup, ran it, won it and took over the country, so IMHO the responsibility is/was his 100%.

fusion58
Mojo Member
fusion58
Advanced Member
1299 posts
Popular Post
Posted 5 hours ago
Remember when, right after the coup, he promised he would stay on only temporarily as acting PM? 

Debatable that he had / has the intelligence to orangise a coup, he probably run it etc at the behest of others - now who that is is probably not open for discussion. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, scorecard said:

And nothing whatever done to reform the police. Now so much corruption/massive corruption directly involving the police, just disgraceful.

It's been building for years, the last sveral years so many reports re police involvement difficult to count them. And now the negative reports re massive scam / police ownership again and again from Chuwit makes your eyes water.  And then there's the beyond belief red bull case.  More police invetigation orderd again and again, nothing happens therefore no results. 

What has the PM done? Nothing, totally nothing.

How can he not do something?  

How can he just ignore it all  

I disagree.

Because of Covid I haven't been here for the past 2 years, but overall, comparing now with 10 years ago things here have vastly improved. I refer to Roi Et and Jomtien. Pavements have been repaired, new roads built (RE) recreation areas cleaned up and improved. In Jomtien the beaches have been massively expanded, trees planted and generally it's much cleaner and tidier than in the past. A huge improvement over the Thaksin years. A new and friendly Immigration Office in RE is also great. Sure, the corruption still goes on but I read encouraging signs that some changes are announced even if not implemented. 

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

Click on Max and it goes down even further, the economy dipped from 1995 until 2010, was that also Prayut's fault! It only goes to prove that the Asian Crisis in 1997 had a profound effect on the Thai economy that took many years before it reached any kind of norm. There's also the Global Financial Crisis in 2008 , Sub Prime in 2012 and Taper Tantrum in 2013, all of which had a profound effect on the Thai economy. All events that were outside of Thai control but events they had to manage......especially EM taper tantrum, that was was Prayut inherited.   

You really need to brush up on your global economics rather than trying to blame the Thai military for everything, why not blame them for global warming also!

bad loser i think... It is obvious that things were going up till the Government got in power, and you can clear see that the trend is going down.. although there are peaks and downs. But .... never mind

13 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

bad loser i think... It is obvious that things were going up till the Government got in power, and you can clear see that the trend is going down.. although there are peaks and downs. But .... never mind

That's your problem ikke, you think this is a competition that you have to win. It's not, it's about establishing fact, cause and effect, your starting point is whatever your answer is, then you look at the data and ignore it because you like your original answer!

26 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

That's your problem ikke, you think this is a competition that you have to win. It's not, it's about establishing fact, cause and effect, your starting point is whatever your answer is, then you look at the data and ignore it because you like your original answer!

Look it is simple.. I have the idea that you only think and see global and international things and you forget how important the local economy is...Today I walked around in Hua Hin and if you see how many bars, restaurants and shops are closed... some streets look like a ghosttown of course you will say Covid....and partially right...but it was going down already and many shops didn't have a buffer...But many years ago, foreigners came here and opened a shop or restaurant for their partner , so they would have a better life, but the current Government made new rules and the foreigners had to stop/leave as they could not get their correct visa. Retirees are not promoted, only with a lot of money you are welcom, but this Government forgets that people who retire here have family, brothers, sisters, children and grandchildren who will come to visit them.. Besides that they spend their income here and it will improve the economy...and so I can give more examples...But this Government doesn't see it and is only investing in big businesses...And international big businesses don't care.. only profits...That is a reason why everything is going down..The local economy is suffering and you can't find it in export figures and trading as the exchange rate is also a part of calculations....  Think about that instead of only keep an eye on glabal an international economy, please. It is not a game that I want to win or loose, it is reality....and in fact I don't care. You have your opinion and I mine and I respect that

2 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Look it is simple.. I have the idea that you only think and see global and international things and you forget how important the local economy is...Today I walked around in Hua Hin and if you see how many bars, restaurants and shops are closed... some streets look like a ghosttown of course you will say Covid....and partially right...but it was going down already and many shops didn't have a buffer...But many years ago, foreigners came here and opened a shop or restaurant for their partner , so they would have a better life, but the current Government made new rules and the foreigners had to stop/leave as they could not get their correct visa. Retirees are not promoted, only with a lot of money you are welcom, but this Government forgets that people who retire here have family, brothers, sisters, children and grandchildren who will come to visit them.. Besides that they spend their income here and it will improve the economy...and so I can give more examples...But this Government doesn't see it and is only investing in big businesses...And international big businesses don't care.. only profits...That is a reason why everything is going down..The local economy is suffering and you can't find it in export figures and trading as the exchange rate is also a part of calculations....  Think about that instead of only keep an eye on glabal an international economy, please. It is not a game that I want to win or loose, it is reality....and in fact I don't care. You have your opinion and I mine and I respect that

You'll forgive me I hope for saying this ikke but you seem to have all the problems rolled into a ball so tightly that you can no longer separate them to find answers, it's all just one big mess for you. Economics is not just about big business, it's about everyone in the economy from the bar girl to the Chairman, I don't focus on big business more than I do on any other component of the economy. You talked before about your orchid business, strong vs week USD, then you talked about the cost of retiring here, now you're talking about families here and visa's and ghost shops in Hua Hin. It's difficult for me to find your starting point, or what the real issue is. Other posters were talking a few days ago about how busy Hua Hin is, we're visiting in two weeks time so we've been trying to book hotels, the prices suggest things are very busy so I don't know what you;re seeing or why! 

1 hour ago, cme said:

I disagree.

Because of Covid I haven't been here for the past 2 years, but overall, comparing now with 10 years ago things here have vastly improved. I refer to Roi Et and Jomtien. Pavements have been repaired, new roads built (RE) recreation areas cleaned up and improved. In Jomtien the beaches have been massively expanded, trees planted and generally it's much cleaner and tidier than in the past. A huge improvement over the Thaksin years. A new and friendly Immigration Office in RE is also great. Sure, the corruption still goes on but I read encouraging signs that some changes are announced even if not implemented. 

And in the rest of Thailand, including ALL the rural areas?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Roi Et is a rural province? But I have no knowledge of the farming community etc and just wrote about what I have seen. From a Farang point of view I think things have vastly improved over the past few years.

1 hour ago, cme said:

I disagree.

16 minutes ago, billd766 said:

"Anatomy of the regular visit": arrive, a few days in Bangkok, check out Nana and Soi Cowboy, then down to Jomtien for some weeks. "Home visit" to Roi Et including trip to friendly immigration office to extend 30 day entry stamp by a couple of weeks, back to Jomtien for a week or so, then Bangkok for a couple of days and fly out.

Repeat every six months or so.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

Debatable that he had / has the intelligence to orangise a coup, he probably run it etc at the behest of others - now who that is is probably not open for discussion. 

All the coups are strategized by those that we can't discuss. 

Protection racket.

3 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

"Anatomy of the regular visit": arrive, a few days in Bangkok, check out Nana and Soi Cowboy, then down to Jomtien for some weeks. "Home visit" to Roi Et including trip to friendly immigration office to extend 30 day entry stamp by a couple of weeks, back to Jomtien for a week or so, then Bangkok for a couple of days and fly out.

All too typical.

Yet, yield to have any keen observations or interact with the real Thai community. 

Pretending to know. 

2 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

However I live in rural Thailand and haven't left the country since 2009.

I have not seen any changes for the better since the coup against Yingluck back in 2014.

What I have seen, though not personally, is the way that S112 has been systematically abused by the government, how free speech and freedom to protest ahs been severely curtailed, how many of the Thai youth are in jail without bail.

How before, during and after the last "free" elections certain political leaders were not allowed to take up there elected MP positions and their party disbanded and 6 million votes simply tossed in the bin and those voters effectively disenfranchised.

How the EC changed their own rules on how many votes were required to gain a party list seat, after the election.

• Thanks 2

This terrible leader has led Thailand backwards, at an astonishing pace. 

They still have not learned much. This was a great learning opportunity for Phiphat, and the other goombahs. Obstacles and tragedies can be learning experiences, for mature men and women. And they can offer a path toward improvement, and progress. But, apparently that does not apply to these authorities and so called leaders. 

Phiphat (and Prayuth) you have made history. 100 years from now, in the hospitality industry classes at the university level, they will still be teaching about you, as the men who presided over the once great industry of tourism, the men who helped destroy the industry millions depended upon. They will talk about you when the students are visiting the hollowed out shells, of once formerly great hotels, as the men who helped precipitate the demise and decline of Thailand, from the tiger of SE Asia (and at one time the 21st largest economy in the world) to a whiny, sickly, skinny alley cat, on it's last legs. And on par with Burundi, Mauritania, Burkina Faso, Yemen, and Sierra Leone, after it has dropped to the 97th position in the world. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

So if it was NOT Prayuth please tell us all who it really was.

If you cannot please, do not prevaricate.

As you should know already, it goes against all good form and law to mention such things. 

You know who.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This terrible leader has led Thailand backwards, at an astonishing pace. 

They still have not learned much. This was a great learning opportunity for Phiphat, and the other goombahs. Obstacles and tragedies can be learning experiences, for mature men and women. And they can offer a path toward improvement, and progress. But, apparently that does not apply to these authorities and so called leaders. 

Phiphat (and Prayuth) you have made history. 100 years from now, in the hospitality industry classes at the university level, they will still be teaching about you, as the men who presided over the once great industry of tourism, the men who helped destroy the industry millions depended upon. They will talk about you when the students are visiting the hollowed out shells, of once formerly great hotels, as the men who helped precipitate the demise and decline of Thailand, from the tiger of SE Asia (and at one time the 21st largest economy in the world) to a whiny, sickly, skinny alley cat, on it's last legs. And on par with Burundi, Mauritania, Burkina Faso, Yemen, and Sierra Leone, after it has dropped to the 97th position in the world. 

The revolution awaits.

Right around the corner.