UK bank or building society

salavan

Does anyone know a bank or preferably a building society in the UK 

(Apart from nationwide) that will allow them to keep their account after  moving abroad. 

I know non residents can't open a new account, I'm interested in one that wont close your account after moving abroad. 

There's no such thing, they all can as they are all bound by the banks' (BoE?) rules that UK account holders are UK residents although relationships between banks and their customers can override some banks' decision to close accounts.  It can be just a matter of time, though.   

You are going to get a few posts reporting that their bank has no problem with their location but that does not mean that the same attitude will apply to a new or recent customer...or even them in due course. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There's no such thing, they all can as they are all bound by the banks' (BoE?) rules that UK account holders are UK residents although relationships between banks and their customers can override some banks' decision to close accounts.  It can be just a matter of time, though.   

You are going to get a few posts reporting that their bank has no problem with their location but that does not mean that the same attitude will apply to a new or recent customer...or even them in due course. 

Well my situation is my private pensions providers won't pay pensions into my Thai Bank only a bank or building society in UK.

Maybe if First Direct didn't get those payments things could turn out different.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, treetops said:

Was just about to say Santander.  It's documented on their site:

https://www.santander.co.uk/personal/support/customer-support/moving-abroad

The OP's question was about banks that will not close the accounts of non-UK residents.  Santander certainly does not document that they will keep non-UK residents' accounts open.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The OP's question was about banks that will not close the accounts of non-UK residents.  Santander certainly does not document that they will keep non-UK residents' accounts open.

You're misinterpreting this somehow:

image.png.420f38bf70bb50e77064cb34dffb2672.png

They may close it while you're abroad (as they can do with any account) but not because you're abroad.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well my situation is my private pensions providers won't pay pensions into my Thai Bank only a bank or building society in UK.

Maybe if First Direct didn't get those payments things could turn out different.

That HAS to be discrimination. The Trustees need a good reporting! If you no longer have ties with UK what are you supposed to do?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

That HAS to be discrimination. The Trustees need a good reporting! If you no longer have ties with UK what are you supposed to do?

I don't think "expats" is a group where it's not allowed to discriminate against like religions, races etc.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, treetops said:

I don't think "expats" is a group where it's not allowed to discriminate against like religions, races etc.

They are certainly failing to provide what many would regard as a reasonable standard of service. Other pension funds offer conversion of currencies and agree to make transfers to foreign banks. 

1 hour ago, salavan said:

Does anyone know a bank or preferably a building society in the UK 

Wise like pensions, and are happy to accept monthly deposits.

Alternatively don't tell anyone you moved outside the UK and use your current address.

They don't check you still live there even if the new homeowners tell them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

They are certainly failing to provide what many would regard as a reasonable standard of service. Other pension funds offer conversion of currencies and agree to make transfers to foreign banks. 

Agreed, but another option may be to find another pension provider which more suits the expat's needs, although that may be easier said than done.

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I don't know I didn't know of such ruling over Banks I thought they were allowed to do what they want with existing customers.

What can whoever it is, do to tell FD to stop accepting money from my pensions providers.

Bangkok Bank has a bank in UK so maybe get providers to pay it into there, as long as can open an account there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Tried to get them to send a new debit car to Thailand.

Online and phone app both require a debit card+card reader to access.

Result = frozen account.

First Direct sends me debit card and credit card to Thailand.

Also Visa statements.

They also sent me the small reader tablet so I can go online.

My Thai wife still has an account with them. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I was referring to the pension provider. They owe you and are insisting upon you maintaining a UK bank account otherwise they won't pay out. Poor standard of service.

Well it's no problem at the moment so I let it be. 

I get £250 free overdraft and can overdraft up to £500.

Credit card limit of £1000 but pay every month and never go over £500.

You cannot get anything like that with Bangkok Bank in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well it's no problem at the moment so I let it be. 

I get £250 free overdraft and can overdraft up to £500.

Credit card limit of £1000 but pay every month and never go over £500.

You cannot get anything like that with Bangkok Bank in Thailand.

Natwest give me a 10,000 pound free overdraft.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, treetops said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're misinterpreting this somehow:

image.png.420f38bf70bb50e77064cb34dffb2672.png

No, I am not misinterpreting the Santander information.  Nowhere does it state that it will not close non-UK resident's accounts.

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Does it state they will?

It doesn't because Santander doesn't have such a policy.  As above, they may close any accounts for a variety of reasons, including those of non-UK residents, but being non-resident won't be the reason.

• Thumbs Up 1