Special counsel shows signs of ramping up Trump investigation

Scott

image.png

The Justice Department probes into Donald Trump’s conduct appear to be ramping up, as special counsel Jack Smith approaches key allies of the former president with knowledge of his activities surrounding the Jan. 6 Capitol attack and classified documents discovered at Mar-a-Lago in Florida.

In recent weeks, Smith has subpoenaed both former Vice President Mike Pence and then-White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, two figures with strong visibility into Trump’s actions leading up to and on the day of the deadly riot.

The Justice Department has also sought to pierce the attorney-client privilege connected to Trump’s lawyer in the Mar-a-Lago probe, Evan Corcoran, alleging he may have given legal advice in furtherance of a crime.

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/3864012-special-counsel-shows-signs-of-ramping-up-trump-investigation/

File:The Hill logo.jpeg - Wikimedia Commons

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh boy, ramping up!  Subpoenas issued!  Real nail-biting and edge-of-the-seat action!  :coffee1:

You know how the news sites have links to other articles on the same topic?  Today I clicked one that said "T____ indictment imminent!"

It was dated March 2021.

2+ years and counting since the Capitol was attacked, 6+ years since the inauguration, arguably his first egregious act was on that day pocketing inauguration funds, and the hits just keep on coming.  "Oooo, look what he did now!"  Georgia trial no sooner than November -- nice move, bought him nearly a year, which means no judgement until next year, oh, but wait, it's an election year, so that's yet another year, 2025, and if he gets back into the WH (note: I did not use the word elected) either it all gets scrubbed or back to square one in 2029. 

Forget about justice, we'll probably have to settle for just keeping the blackguard out of office.  They can at least lock up his verminous abettors.

I'm sticking with my prediction that this will drag on thru the next decade, I hope I'm wrong. 

What happened to the concept of a "speedy trial?"  Even the Dominion case looks looks like it is making progress. 

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

If you want to know how well the cases are going, pay attention to the ridiculous arguments put forward by Trump’s lawyers (who have a habit of being indicted themselves).

I still suspect that DT has a reward out for whoever produces the magic key (like in a video game) that is going to unlock whatever is in the way of his being reinstated (sic).  It's probably a billion bucks, which is why these dipsticks agree to represent him: with $$$ like that it won't matter if they are disbarred.  Getting the client to cough it up, well, another matter entirely.  :closedeyes:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, bendejo said:

I still suspect that DT has a reward out for whoever produces the magic key (like in a video game) that is going to unlock whatever is in the way of his being reinstated (sic).  It's probably a billion bucks, which is why these dipsticks agree to represent him: with $$$ like that it won't matter if they are disbarred.  Getting the client to cough it up, well, another matter entirely.  :closedeyes:

I suspect book deals are their real goal.

• Thumbs Up 1

A new report from Rolling Stone claims that allies of former President Donald Trump have warned him that one of his top lawyers is "very likely" to face criminal charges in the coming months.

"Prosecutors have since filed a motion asking a judge in the case to force him to testify based on the crime-fraud exception, which can override attorney-client privilege in cases where an attorney may have assisted a client in the perpetration of a crime," the publication notes.

If the judge grants the prosecutors' motion, that means they will have determined that there is probable cause to believe a crime has been committed.

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-lawyer-crimes/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jan. 6 rioter who threatened to assassinate Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez gets 38 months in prison

"Prosecutors had asked for a sentence of 48 months in prison for Garret Miller, an unemployed Texan who, they noted, was wearing a T-shirt bearing former President Donald Trump's picture and the words 'I was there, Washington, D.C., January 6, 2021' when he was arrested weeks after the attack," politics correspondent Dareh Gregorian wrote.

"It should always be remembered that, although Garret is fully responsible for his individual actions that day, his actions and the actions of many others were a product of rhetoric from a cult leader that has yet to be brought to justice," Broden told the court.

Miller pleaded guilty to a total of eleven charges which included him having "openly discussed his desire to doxx the officer" who fatally shot Ashli Babbitt and "hug his neck with a nice rope," according to the filing obtained by NBC.

https://www.rawstory.com/jan-6-rioter-who-threatened-to-assassinate-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-sentenced-to-38-months-in-prison/

• Like 2

“There may be some names on that list that you wouldn’t expect,” Emily Kohrs, the forewoman, told CNN on Tuesday of the recommended indictments. “But the big name that everyone keeps asking me about — I don’t think you will be shocked.”

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/politics/2023/02/22/ga--grand-jury-forewoman-suggests--the-big-name--on-list-of-recommended-indictments

35 minutes ago, dotcalm said:

"[Furthermore], when DOJ targets lawyers, it is often being done from a position of weakness in their underlying case, as a method of undermining the integrity of the defense legal team. Removal of Evan Corcoran … would serve the purpose of giving DOJ exactly what it wanted.”

If the judge grants the prosecutors' motion, that means they will have determined that there is probable cause to believe a crime has been committed.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/mar-a-lago-trump-raid-legal-team-1234682771/

Often, not always. And in a case like this where clearly lies were told about the presence of unauthorized documents on the premises, it makes sense to go after the guy who drafted the letter to the Justice Dept that claimed a diligent search was done to see if there were any more unauthorized documents and none were found. That guy was Even Corcoran.  That lawyer was obviously exposing himself to a world of hurt. Before the search warrant was issued, Justice Dept reps had asked to open the box that was ultimately found to contain the documents. Trump's agents refused to give permission.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dotcalm said:

Jan 6 video released to Fox News Tucker Carlson by Kevin McCarthy

"On Monday, Carlson claimed that some of the footage appears to contradict "the story that we've been told for more than two years," but he was short on details or specifics. Instead, Carlson teased that his team's findings would air on his program next week."

ABC News

https://redstate.com/nick-arama/2023/02/21/raskin-gives-talking-points-away-when-he-smears-tucker-over-jan-6-footage-n706805

Put Carlson on the stand and under oath.

I’m all for it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, dotcalm said:

Edit, as in alter? Or as in screen the videos to present only relevant, useful vids? Obviously FOX can't or won't publish all 40,000 hours, but all videos can be loaded online for all to access in the interest of transparency.

The videos, if altered will be called out by the J6 presentation committee.

Sit back and enjoy a dose of reality and truth based on factual video evidence.

Why should Tucker Carlson and his minions be the one to decide which videos are pertinent and which aren't?  Why haven't these videos been released to all news organizations to review and present to the public?

The answer is obvious:  Kevin McCarthy wants to give Tucker time to frame the story before anyone else.  He's hoping for an outcome similar to when Attorney General Barr "reviewed" the Mueller report before its general release and completely misrepresented the findings.  It didn't fool intelligent people, but the Fox News crowd ate it up.

• Like 2