6-year-old boy falls to his death from expressway after road accident

webfact

image.png

A six-year-old boy fell to his death from an expressway onto the road about 30 meters below when a brand-new pickup truck, being driven by his father, crashed into the guard rail after he lost control of the vehicle, reportedly due to a locked steering wheel.

The family of four was travelling on the Bang Phli-Suksawat expressway in Bang Ya Phraek sub-district in Samut Prakan on Sunday when the accident happened.

The force of the crash broke the rear window and flung his six-year-old son out of the vehicle and onto the road below the expressway.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/6-year-old-boy-falls-to-his-death-from-expressway-after-road-accident/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-02-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 6

A terrible tragedy.  Of course the child should have been wearing a seat belt 

As for the cause of the accident.  I never heard of a steering wheel locking up while driving.  But anything is possible.  I actually thought the reason for the accident would be the wet road explanation. 
I did find this information from a Car Dealership in the USA:

1. THE STEERING WHEEL LOCKS WHILE YOU DRIVE

This is a terrifying experience--but it's fortunately not very common. If it does happen, it's probably due to a failure in the suspension or steering rack or column. If this happens, keep trying to turn the wheel while slowly and safely braking. Be sure to put on your hazard lights and get away from traffic as soon as possible.

A post in which the quoted content had been altered has been removed:

28. You will not make changes to messages quoted from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. Do not shorten any post in a way that alters the context of the original post. Do not change the formatting of the post you are quoting.

I have an old 2001 Ford Ranger pickup truck and AFAIR, the only way to lock the steering is to switch the engine off, take the keys out of the ignition and turn the steering wheel until it locks.

I have never even thought about doing it and I certainly wouldn't do it anywhere I am driving, let alone on the expressway with my family on board.

• Like 1