School boss resigns after eight-year-old boy finds his gun unattended in a bathroom

onthedarkside

image.png.46f7f9f22d2ea8103bbf5a2825703b93.png

A school superintendent has resigned after an eight-year-old found his gun unattended in a bathroom. 

The firearm was discovered in Rising Star Elementary School in Texas - and many parents were furious because they were not informed about the incident when it happened.

The boy told his teacher about the gun, prompting the teacher to send him and another student to "go and be sure that's what he found".

https://news.sky.com/story/school-boss-resigns-after-eight-year-old-boy-finds-his-gun-unattended-in-a-bathroom-12816926

image.png.8033fc895fa83122f8818dec54a3285d.png

“Mr Jones explained that he and Mr Stuteville carried weapons on campus because of school shootings that have happened across the US.

He added that parents and staff were aware that they carried firearms, and they had both undergone week-long training that included how to use a gun and how to de-escalate a situation.”

Did the training cover not leaving a gun unattended?

Plus why is an adult using a bathroom children have access to? That violates everything I know about child safety and protection in schools. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Teacher, if this true, needs to seriously rethink their approach to being given such information.

And yes I am a teacher of children of this age and if given such information I would check myself rather than send children to look. 

Yea there's two issues here, the owner of the gun who was the school boss, leaving it in a bathroom accessible to the kids, the height of negligence and possibly criminally negligent if any harm had come. Then the teacher who told the boy to check.

Of course then there's the issue that they failed to tell the parents of the event when it happened. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

That’s just negligence 100% and then send the kids to check for real ?????Whoever this idiot is obviously shouldn’t be allowed to own a gun allowed to drive use tools of any kind this guy is an imbecile I’m truly flabbergasted 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NotReallyHere said:

If you don't understand, then apparently you are not from Texas.

We train all our 8 year olds in precision shooting and proper firearm operation/management/safety.  The Texan child is fully capable of securing an unattended weapon.

School "boss" is obviously not a Texan.  Probably an Okie.  What is the world coming to?

I do understand.

If a child reports a gun in the bathroom, you as the adult check.

You do not send them back with another 8 year old to check it out. 

It’s not difficult to follow such simple procedures. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I do understand.

If a child reports a gun in the bathroom, you as the adult check.

You do not send them back with another 8 year old to check it out. 

It’s not difficult to follow such simple procedures. 

Sorry, this was my attempt at humor.  Maybe you have to be from Texas to understand the humor.  Texans are a unique breed.

Not seriously debating the correctness of what you have written.

Edited by NotReallyHere
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, NotReallyHere said:

If you don't understand, then apparently you are not from Texas.

We train all our 8 year olds in precision shooting and proper firearm operation/management/safety.  The Texan child is fully capable of securing an unattended weapon.

School "boss" is obviously not a Texan.  Probably an Okie.  That is the disturbing issue here.

Paint me skeptical. You need a link to this obvious malarkey.

edit: OK, it's sarcasm.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thumbs Up 1