Florida woman argues her unborn baby should be released from jail

Scott

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Did you miss "In an emergency petition in a Florida court, Ms Harrell's lawyer argued that jail staff have endangered the child through "a lack of reasonable and necessary prenatal care". ?

Where is that saying about being held for "no reason"?

You obviously missed "now in prison awaiting trial, she claims her baby is being unlawfully detained".

56 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I have never said she is having it both way.

Well I wonder what you meant by this:

15 hours ago, puchooay said:

Not according to the accused.

My point was, if it is being held against it's will. It has to be considered when prosecuting the accused. Can't gave it both ways.

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

You obviously missed "now in prison awaiting trial, she claims her baby is being unlawfully detained".

What don't you understand about the fact the the grounds for the claim that the fetus is being unlawfully detained is that the fetus is not being given proper care. 

"The filing was made on behalf of the unborn child and calls for Harrell to be discharged from jail until the child is born so she can receive proper care."

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

What don't you understand about the fact the the grounds for the claim that the fetus is being unlawfully detained is that the fetus is not being given proper care. 

"The filing was made on behalf of the unborn child and calls for Harrell to be discharged from jail until the child is born so she can receive proper care."

Whilst using the law that the foetus is a person in it's own right. The claim was filed on behalf of, in the eyes of law in Florida, the child.

You clearly disagree with this filing as you refer to "foetus" and not "child" or "baby". Thus, basically and fundamentally, agreeing with my post. 

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

Whilst using the law that the foetus is a person in it's own right. The claim was filed on behalf of, in the eyes of law in Florida, the child.

You clearly disagree with this filing as you refer to "foetus" and not "child" or "baby". Thus, basically and fundamentally, agreeing with my post. 

Such nonsense. Whatever I called it doesn't matter. And it has nothing to do with the fact that legal clearly stated that grounds for calling the detention illegal was that the child or fetus was not being given proper care. Your claim was that they were objecting to detention per se. That is clearly not the case. It was about care.

Edited by placeholder

16 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Such nonsense. Whatever I called it doesn't matter. And it has nothing to do with the fact that legal clearly stated that grounds for calling the detention illegal was that the child or fetus was not being given proper care. Your claim was that they were objecting to detention per se. That is clearly not the case. It was about care.

Yep. Just about care.

That's why the case was filed on behalf of the unborn child using the Florida law on life at conception.

If it were solely about care, why was the filing not in the name of the incarcerated woman? It is her that receives the care, or not, after all.

It's all obvious really.

On 2/24/2023 at 8:15 AM, vandeventer said:

This is a very good point, at what age does the baby [which is parsley developed] have rights?

So perhaps mom can ask for a c-section at the point of viability. Then baby can get out of jail.

• Haha 1

On 2/24/2023 at 5:20 PM, puchooay said:

Yep. Just about care.

That's why the case was filed on behalf of the unborn child using the Florida law on life at conception.

If it were solely about care, why was the filing not in the name of the incarcerated woman? It is her that receives the care, or not, after all.

It's all obvious really.

Because the care in question is primarily about the fetus/baby. They're not claiming that the care is in regards to any condition of hers except pregnancy. 

You definitely need to look up the meaning of "obvious".

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

Because the care in question is primarily about the fetus/baby. They're not claiming that the care is in regards to any condition of hers except pregnancy. 

You definitely need to look up the meaning of "obvious".

You are funny.

The obvious thing is you can't see what's in front of you.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/24/2023 at 2:15 PM, vandeventer said:

This is a very good point, at what age does the baby [which is parsley developed] have rights?

That would depend on whether one thinks a foetus is an unborn human, or merely a collection of cells of no more significance than a lump of unwanted meat that can be thrown out..

On 2/26/2023 at 3:18 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

That would depend on whether one thinks a foetus is an unborn human, or merely a collection of cells of no more significance than a lump of unwanted meat that can be thrown out..

Well, the more one believes in the personhood of a fetus, the more they should be inclined to support that fetus getting proper care. Something which the state of Florida allegedly hasn't provided.

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

Well, the more one believes in the personhood of a fetus, the more they should be inclined to support that fetus getting proper care. Something which the state of Florida allegedly hasn't provided.

For some reason, I just don't trust the current crop of right-wing politicians to do that.  I think their mission is to see women as a vessel to hold a fetus, sort of like a brood mare.  I wonder when they'll start putting them in jail for using drugs, drinking or reckless behavior while pregnant.   

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If it can be proven that them using drugs or drinking alcohol/ smoking damaged the foetus ( obviously after it is born ), IMO they should be charged with reckless danger to another person.

If a woman doesn't want to care for her unborn child she shouldn't carry it to term as she probably won't care for it after it is born.

Well make your mind up.

Do women have autonomy over their own bodies or what?

• Like 2