1.5 million Thai youths are suffering from depression, numbers rising

snoop1130

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seems you are offering excuses for failure. Those that want to will get educated, make the effort and succeed. Those that don't have any motivation................................................

Schools don't motivate- that's a family thing.

Very 'old skool' the way you reason. Life is not fair,  so motivation and success do not always walk hand in hand. Hence, the large number of depressed young people.

In the likes of rural Thailand mental problems are seen to be caused as being possessed by bad spirits. It used to be, might be still, that the family would take the possessed person to a temple and have the monks literally beat the spirits out of the possessed person.

Not long after I came here in 2005 there was a case in the newspaper where the monks beat a young woman so badly that she was hospitalized due to the injuries the monks inflicted on her. Police became involved but I don't recall how the event ended.  

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Fair call.

As I see it, schools (other than teaching the basics) should provide direction and expose students to "life" situations.

Schools should also be able to provide guidance/solutions to "life" issues, but I doubt this can be handed down by teachers.????????

If I had any children ( I was lucky and didn't get married at an age to have them ) I would be extremely PO if any teacher took it on themselves to provide "guidance" to them, as that would be my job as a parent.

I suppose I was unlucky in that neither my parents nor my schools gave me any "guidance", real life experience or even education to suit what I wanted to do when I left school. I could recite Latin, and I knew about English royalty, but the only good thing I acquired was love of reading. They didn't even give sex or relationship teaching, and the only time a teacher touched on the subject of sex was to suggest getting a bed with a footboard.

As for depression, that wasn't a word in use, and a child claiming to be depressed would be more likely to get a smack on the head than counseling, and I don't think a "counselor" existed in schools back then anyway.

I'm not claiming that it's not a good idea to have counseling, but I'd prefer if it were given by a qualified psychologist than by a teacher with no psycholgical experience or qualifications. 

3 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Very 'old skool' the way you reason. Life is not fair,  so motivation and success do not always walk hand in hand. Hence, the large number of depressed young people.

Some years ago, in my lifetime, young people that today would be classified as "depressed" would be told to straighten up, fly right and get on with life. Seemed to work for most.

Nowadays of course people take them to the Dr and they get doped up with medications- the pill companies are lovin' it.

4 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Fair enough, motivation does not necessarily lead to success, but I'm certain that being unmotivated leads to failure.

At least motivated people are more able to handle life's kick in the teeth episodes.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 4:42 PM, snoop1130 said:

About 1.5 million Thai youths, aged over 15, suffered from depression in 2021 and the number of depression and psychological disorder cases in Thailand is increasing by 1-2% each year, according to Dr. Apichat Jariyavilas, spokesman for the Department of Mental Health.

Wait until they graduate from education and can't find work due to the governments inept ability to run a country for the people instead of themselves.

The girls will head to the bars and work flat-out but the boys, i really feel sorry for them.

The numbers will rocket.

On 2/23/2023 at 8:07 PM, Tropicalevo said:

I am not surprised that many young people are depressed. Tell me again, what does this government do for them?

I am happy if the government does not do anything for me....

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Wait until they graduate from education and can't find work due to the governments inept ability to run a country for the people instead of themselves.

The girls will head to the bars and work flat-out but the boys, i really feel sorry for them.

The numbers will rocket.

If you graduate something useful and it was not a pay to graduate university the companies kiss your feet to hire you. Problem is they don't study something useful. Technicians are always in high demand, as well as medical doctors.