Why is Israel-Palestinian violence surging?

Social Media

There has been an intensification of violence between Israel and the Palestinians since the start of this year, with deaths mounting on both sides. Here is a brief guide to what is going on.

What is happening?

The current violence is mainly taking place in the West Bank and East Jerusalem - areas occupied by Israel since the 1967 Middle East war. While the starting point is debatable, it began to escalate in March 2022. In a period of days, Israel was rocked by a series of deadly Palestinian attacks and the Israeli military launched an open-ended operation in the West Bank in response, resulting in near nightly raids into the occupied territories.

How has it got worse?

There have been many individual injuries and deaths resulting from Israeli military operations and Palestinian attacks over the past year, but what marks this period of violence out is both the scale of the loss of lives and the number of incidents in which multiple people have been killed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

Its bad because the Fanatics are in control , and thats always bad, no reasonable common sense or compromise is now possible until the fanatics are removed on both sides but especially  The minority Ultra religious Jews and the Netenyahu  criminal government ,,,

Sure both sides but how is that supposed to happen?

If just the Israelis magically elected a liberal government that wouldn't magically result in peace. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sure both sides but how is that supposed to happen?

If just the Israelis magically elected a liberal government that wouldn't magically result in peace. 

There's far less chance of peace than ever before under this government.

• Like 1

netenyahu and his loonies  along with the barmy ultra  hassidics  who dont even fight in the army will actually destroy the democratic Israel  that most jews want, problem is that most secular Israelis votes dont actually count ,, they have so many small parties that  the Ultras  are always the ones now who get into actual power  to make a working coalition government its like a pact with the devil but now its a nightmare .... i am very concerned for the future of Israel .

3 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

netenyahu and his loonies  along with the barmy ultra  hassidics  who dont even fight in the army will actually destroy the democratic Israel  that most jews want, problem is that most secular Israelis votes dont actually count ,, they have so many small parties that  the Ultras  are always the ones now who get into actual power  to make a working coalition government its like a pact with the devil but now its a nightmare .... i am very concerned for the future of Israel .

Well, I agree Israeli democracy is being degraded (somewhat of an international trend) but I think your analysis sounds off. Yes strange coalitions are needed to take power but if the more moderate and left parties had enough voters they could take power from the far right, but they don't. 

TEL AVIV — A senior Israeli official on Wednesday called for the state to “erase” the Palestinian town of Hawara, which was rampaged by Jewish settlers over the weekend.

“I think the village of Hawara needs to be erased. I think that the state of Israel needs to do it. God forbid that regular people should do it,” Israel Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said.

His comments came after he liked a tweet that called for Hawara to be “wiped out” in the wake of a Palestinian gunman's attack that killed two brothers, Hillel Menachem Yaniv, 21, and Yagel Yaakov Yaniv, 19, who lived in the Israeli settlement of Har Bracha, around 5 miles away.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/israel-erase-palestinian-village-minister-214510381.html