7,600 Russian Tourists Seek Extension of Stay in Phuket Amid Tourism Boom

webfact

3 hours ago, Phil1964 said:

Russians - Those with the money to escape Putin's drafts, arrogantly believe they have a sense of entitlement and that other nationalities are beneath them. 

You mean, like the Brits, except without the money.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, IvorBiggun2 said:
ED VISA CONDITIONS

2.1 ED Visa is valid for a single entry for education purposes only. 2.2 ED Visa is valid for 90 days from the date of issuance. Travellers must enter Thailand within the said 90-day period. They will be allowed to stay in Thailand for a period of up to 90 days, counting from the date of entry.

But that's the visa they're cracking down on.  my friend just got his ed visa refused because immigration is stopping people staying here on that.  so again ill say how are the russians getting away with it and everyone else isn't

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

So you would rather they were mobilised to fight against Ukraine? If it was a war to protect Russia from invasion then you would have a point. FYI, Russia invaded Ukraine and not vice versa. Many Russians are leaving to avoid being conscripted to fight in Ukraine. Get it, they probably don't want to fight the Ukranians. Better they are in Thailand than fighting against Ukraine wouldn't you agree?

Yes, I would... 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

My thinking says the average Russian is not in a position to get out of Russia. The ones that do are connected or have money.

Of course. The average salary in Russia now is ~800 $ (in regions away from big cities probably half or third of it) and a 2-weeks trip from Moscow to Thailand is around 3000 usd per couple (incl.airticket ~1000 $ pp). 

Before Ukraine invasion started in 2014 (and the ruble collapse) you could rent out your flat in Moscow for minimum 1000 $ per month and live in Thailand easily but not after. 

6 hours ago, Drop the dead donkey said:

What is wrong with the press?

why can they NOT state the reason Russians are here, is to escape conscription.?

I would love to know the ages and gender of all these Russians trying to extend.

Male, between 18-45 years old.

There are many young Russian couples in Thailand now. Many have kids.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Funkymover said:

"to escape the winter season",,, are you having a laugh,  its nothing to do with the winter season,,, these are just the cowards, who do not care about the thousands of Ukrainians getting murdered but are too cowardly to get mobilised,  They are selflish cowards, running to thailand,  and they know the greed of the thai government, will allow them to do it just for their money  

Do you prefer to be selfish and save your life or die for nothing as cannon fodder? Just common sense. It is clear until there are mass protests in Russia these youngsters cannot change the regime alone (or you will repressed immediately even for anti-war picture drawn by your daughter in school) when the most of Russian society support it or passive conformists. 

Stiil, some people are just tourists looking for a holiday after long COVID period. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Police Inmigration not happy .. They will be very busy this days, overworked and without tips ????

Oh i expect that immigration will get a LOT of tips/bribes from the Ruskies to let them stay....sorta like the cartel sugar or lead offers....bribe u stay, no bribe you go.

11 hours ago, Drop the dead donkey said:

What is wrong with the press?

why can they NOT state the reason Russians are here, is to escape conscription.?

I would love to know the ages and gender of all these Russians trying to extend.

Male, between 18-45 years old.

Definitely looks like it.

The agents will be happy?

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Operator2002 said:

Do you prefer to be selfish and save your life or die for nothing as cannon fodder? Just common sense. It is clear until there are mass protests in Russia these youngsters cannot change the regime alone (or you will repressed immediately even for anti-war picture drawn by your daughter in school) when the most of Russian society support it or passive conformists. 

Stiil, some people are just tourists looking for a holiday after long COVID period. 

I can agree with some of that. My issue is the reported incidents on another popular channel/forum of Russians aggressively taunting Ukranians in Phuket. Sure, I can believe a number are here because they want a break after best part of 3 years of Covid, and that some don't want conflict with Ukranians. But I'd put ฿50 on most of them here not giving a sh*t about Ukraine, and can simply afford not to end up on the frontline... if it was legal to gamble here, of course!

On 3/2/2023 at 1:51 PM, Tarteso said:

Police Inmigration not happy .. They will be very busy this days, overworked and without tips ????

Without tips? are you sure about that, those 'No Tips' signs were taken down ages ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

The young Russians will be here long term as long as Agents and Immigration deviate ( inflate their wallets ) from visa policies.......

We love that idea. Yet there they were, all lined up extending their visas.

Why can't they be here w/o the Agents and IO corruption just as they were before?

27 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

The young Russians will be here long term as long as Agents and Immigration deviate ( inflate their wallets ) from visa policies.......

I don't see that. Any Russian skipping call up will get his punishment upon return. And return he will do at some time or other. What countries are actually taking in Russian draft dodgers at this time?

In the short term Thailand may be assisting with dodgy extensions but that's not long term. No point in delaying the inevitable. If it is then Russia will shut it down and Thailand will be in the do do with Russian tourists  being stopped from coming to Thailand as punishment to Thailand. 

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

They're gambling that Putin will be dead 

Well good luck with that gamble and they've got the finances to bluff it out.

Even if Putin pops his clogs before they go back they've still committed a crime against the state and they WILL be punished. Putin or no Putin.

Putin Signs New Laws to Punish Russian Draft-Dodgers

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/1032

Edited by IvorBiggun2

5 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Even if Putin pops his clogs before they go back they've still committed a crime against the state and they WILL be punished. Putin or no Putin.

My brief stay Russian neighbours ( military ) managed to buy an ED Visa and are hanging out in Hua Hin, when that is exhausted she mentioned Argentina to make a baby and get 3 Argentinian passports. Sounds like refugee talk and or wait on Putins demise....... 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/1032

They'll be rescinded. Russia needs those people back. They let them go because most of them are the Russian elite.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

My brief stay Russian neighbours ( military ) managed to buy an ED Visa and are hanging out in Hua Hin, when that is exhausted she mentioned Argentina to make a baby and get 3 Argentinian passports. Sounds like refugee talk and or wait on Putins demise....... 

So they've managed to buy an extra 90 days. I hope that works well for them. Getting hold of an Argentina visa is going to take some getting. Can't see it happening though. I think they'd have to return to Russia to submit an application.

On 3/2/2023 at 9:30 PM, Operator2002 said:

They are selfish cowards, because they do not care about the  mass murders, the invasion, just about their own lives.. as soon as mobilisation was announced, thousands left the country.  but then you probably think they are lovely people