UK tax

Just now, nigelforbes said:

WOW, ten pounds a day, like double WOW.

What is "double wow" about ten Pounds per day ?

You have 9 months to submit a tax return after the tax year has ended  , then 3 months after that and a 100 Pound fine for late submission , you get fined 10 Pounds per day .

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You have 9 months to submit a tax return after the tax year has ended  , then 3 months after that and a 100 Pound fine for late submission , you get fined 10 Pounds per day .

Think its 6 months for paper copy and 9 months for one line 

as non resident landlord.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I just never knew that level of fine existed in the UK, I've been out of the UK system for a long time. I'm not knocking it, just never knew.

6 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I just never knew that level of fine existed in the UK, I've been out of the UK system for a long time. I'm not knocking it, just never knew.

If you are required to fill out  a self assessment tax return and you haven't been doing it , you will have a lot of letters from the tax man  waiting for you when you return home 

6 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If you are required to fill out  a self assessment tax return and you haven't been doing it , you will have a lot of letters from the tax man  waiting for you when you return home 

I'm not required to complete a return, I have that on writing

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Get yourself a Skype account, 10 pounds call credit lasts a long time.

I have downloaded Skype now, but it looks like it is very expensive to call the uk from Thailand. Even though the office is shut, I called the tax office, and it used up 6p of my Skype money for only about 10 seconds of the greeting?

I don't think that £10.00 is going to last long?

22 minutes ago, Terry2905 said:

I have downloaded Skype now, but it looks like it is very expensive to call the uk from Thailand. Even though the office is shut, I called the tax office, and it used up 6p of my Skype money for only about 10 seconds of the greeting?

I will say again, CAT Telecom.

....CAT Phonenet is what I use.... I would like to quote a link but I am struggling to find one.....

20 hours ago, Terry2905 said:

Guessing you called a premium line number for overseas callers.

Local government lines are free or very low cost.

21 hours ago, Terry2905 said:

What number are you calling ?

21 hours ago, Terry2905 said:

And what particular Office.

OP: Talk360 is an alternative if Skype doesn't work for you.

I am currently in Thailand and called HMRC Self Assessment 0044 161 931 90 70 a few days ago using Talk360. 

The call lasted 1hr 22m (+/-1 hr on hold) and cost me £2.98.

I called @midday GMT. I'd suggest calling when they open (08:00 GMT I think?)

I can't comment on your case of course but, for what it's worth, I've erroneously been issued with penalty notices in the past - and have been again! - and have found HMRC willing to listen and then waive the penalities if they are at fault. Good luck.

A slight variation on the topic - I've just had an email from HMRC notifying my tax code for the coming year starting April. The assessment assumes a 10% increase in my State Pension, which is actually "frozen". I've had this problem before, they  seem incapable of sifting out us "frozen pensioners" from those who are lucky enough to get annual increases. So I'll have to phone them this afternoon.

I am on the Government Gateway system, and submit an annual return because I have rental income. I was just chatting with a pal whose income is simple PAYE. He says he's never ever had a coding notice from HMRC. If they are assuming his State Pension increases every year, how would he know about it?

On 3/4/2023 at 4:00 AM, Terry2905 said:

So my question is, will the UK tax office chase me here in Thailand if I don't/can't pay?

No , they wont chase you in Thailand .

You should submit your tax returns online immediately to stop the daily 10 Pounds a day fine occurring 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No , they wont chase you in Thailand .

You should submit your tax returns online immediately to stop the daily 10 Pounds a day fine occurring 

Hi could have done that 2 years ago, but decided.

it don't matter.

Not his problem,   just a HMRC problem.

His soon to get schooled by them about this.

one year, you can argue it, two years as a landlord, doubtful.

Think he will have to pay up. possible reduced amount.

if lucky.

Edited by quake

36 minutes ago, quake said:

Hi could have done that 2 years ago, but decided.

it don't matter.

Not his problem,   just a HMRC problem.

His soon to get schooled by them about this.

one year, you can argue it, two years as a landlord, doubtful.

Think he will have to pay up. possible reduced amount.

if lucky.

He will have to pay any tax owed (plus interest) and he can appeal against any fines for late submission .

HMRC have bigger issues to deal with internally rather than  some guy living abroad and not filing his tax returns isn't such a big deal

On 3/5/2023 at 10:47 AM, Terry2905 said:

With Skype out you normally pay 5p for the connection however long the call and for fixed lines a very low amount per minute as long as not a premium number.

Stop worrying and call during UK working hours or you are just prolonging the agony.....