Tourist Takes Action For Being Slapped, Handcuffed By Pub Guard

webfact

Good that he stand up against these laws in Thailand that are outdated and too strict and are made by every man him/herself.... and all for a bottle of water.....Thai people should learn to think in grey and not only in black and white...Some minor offense are being handled as if they are big criminals.. just like in this case a bottle of water.... He did  not rob a gold shop.....There is a lot of commotion about a Canadian who fought with 4 Thai people... but probably it is a similar case... He will probably loose the case, as foreigners will never win, but just the courage to try make life normal in Thailand is a good case..

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, yankyoakum said:

As Dorthy said "Toto we ain't in Kansas anymore..." go back home fool and quit wasting peoples time..

Except he won because they settled with a cash payment and multiple people were sacked.

People broke the law and behaved badly.  His actions led to consequences for those who wronged him.  Now maybe others will think twice before doing the same.

But sure, a fool just wasting everybody's time... ????

1 hour ago, malibukid said:

plumbers are not looked down upon in America.  what planet are you living on?  what century.  last time i called a plumber it cost me $500.  they can easily make over 100k per year.  its obviously you have never lived in America.

Sex workers make 100,000,000……. Meaningless.  Looked down on.

plumbers crack……normal joke

plumbers in <deleted> all day, horrible job.  For drop outs……..

garbage men make 100 zillion, who cares.

now fix my sink!

it’s obvious you have never been rich before 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

Stealing is acceptable? Under the law, any law, ignorance is no defence.

You think he paid for a load of beer but decided to steal a bottle of water?!!  And it was OK for the bouncer to handcuff him and assault him?!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He added that in the US when a customer starts feeling intoxicated the pubs and bars immediately give them free water to drink and he thought this was the case in Thailand too.

Bars provide free GLASS of water not free bottled water.

This is nothing more but at attempt to make some money as he is also going after the owner. In fact he did not suffer any damage , was only a slap  not a closed fist beating where he was bleeding and needed medical attention 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, NORDO said:

So Sad USD/Euro/THB comes into play here.  Was there any real financial damage?

American...which Country, there are about 37 Countries in the Americas.

One does not get to apply their home laws in a Foreign land.

He made an error in judgement, the Thai Bouncer over reacted...common issue in LOFS.

Thai Lawyer is the only one to come-ahead here.

"American...which Country, there are about 37 Countries in the Americas."

In the article it says the US, meaning the USA?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Too me it doesn't matter the situation, if you don't know the rules in a country you visit, learn them. Says he worked here in the past, so he would know nothing is free, you pay for water nearly everywhere. I cant see anyone getting handcuffed without being a handful. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, NextG said:

A bouncer has no right to attack someone…

Your assertions are simply ridiculous. 

If bouncer pokes you it does not mean owner needs to be sued or you suffered any damage , even more so when you drunk to a point that you think you need to be given water

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

What's the odds that the victim ends up in prison and/or sued for 'defamation' and forced to remain in Thailand for years while it goes through court?

We simply cannot allow ourselves, regardless of the circumstances, to be intimidated by laws written by and for cowards. The small minded offenders need to be called out. The fact that this forum alone is now citing the name of venues is a huge step forward for Thai society.

And both the owner and the bouncer need to be held to account. So what if the water was not free. You just tell someone they need to pay for the water. Basic civility. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, austhai said:

Too me it doesn't matter the situation, if you don't know the rules in a country you visit, learn them. Says he worked here in the past, so he would know nothing is free, you pay for water nearly everywhere. I cant see anyone getting handcuffed without being a handful. 

So, how MANY rules do you know... how MANY should a tourist know... just a reminder, "rules" in Thailand are made up every day.. eg the Red card.. not a law, just something a local official has made up, no standing in law, not guide given on what laws... you really need to THINK before posting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, BestB said:

If bouncer pokes you it does not mean owner needs to be sued or you suffered any damage , even more so when you drunk to a point that you think you need to be given watere

If anyone 'pokes' you, bouncer, cop,  its an assault.

If the bouncer had asked nicely to pay for the water, this would not have happened?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, BestB said:

If bouncer pokes you it does not mean owner needs to be sued or you suffered any damage , even more so when you drunk to a point that you think you need to be given water

was he DRUNK, I read 2 beers ordered for the girls, the barman/girl gave them the beers and water... no-one asked for the water, the "free" assumption was 100% correct, the barman/girl could have easily asked for payment or the water returned, before the drinks left the bar.

i grew up rich and have lived in Malibu/Beverly Hills most of my life and have lived the life, but so what?  i don't judge people by there annual income like you do.  it seems that most of the world thinks like you.  sick. 

Edited by malibukid

2 hours ago, BestB said:

So you’re ok with being slapped around a bit and handcuffed by an unauthorized (non police officer)? If you let me have your address ….? I promise not to leave any marks… ???? 

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There is hope.

When I first came to Thailand I was up in court, nothing to do with any criminality. I won my case, then a fortnight later, my lawyer emailed my and told me the judge had changed her mind, he then only charged me half his fee.

6 hours ago, NORDO said:

So Sad USD/Euro/THB comes into play here.  Was there any real financial damage?

American...which Country, there are about 37 Countries in the Americas.

One does not get to apply their home laws in a Foreign land.

He made an error in judgement, the Thai Bouncer over reacted...common issue in LOFS.

Thai Lawyer is the only one to come-ahead here.

And where exactly does it say he's seeking damages? It doesn't.... 

He's seeking justice and a lesson learned by over-zealous private security goons. ????

6 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Mr. Carhuff could had met the owner already, and received a unknown amount.

What's the point with prosecution of the owner and the guard?

Owner was early very apologetic, closed the Pub for few days, fired the security man who is now famous for all the wrong reasons.

Strongly doubt Mr. Carhuff will get any big Payday, bringing this to Court. 

He got a 50,000 baht settlement and a goodie basket but is still pressing charges against the guard, article in BKK Post

• Like 1

3 hours ago, austhai said:

"If you don't know the rules in a country you visit, learn them" I'm not interested in learning anyone's rules, there is such a thing as common sense, but only if it is genuine. If you don't like anyone's rules or think they are unfair, just try and work you way around them, or just ignore them.

I have lived that way all my life and have no criminal record or been in any serious trouble.