Driving Licence in Thailand

TimF

20 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

Slightly off-topic but my (Thai) wife has a Thai driving licence, but it has expred. She insists that because she lives six months a yearin Europe her European driving licence is OK.  I have my doubts and worry if she is involved in an accident the insurance won't cover her. I know there are no hard-and-fast rules about ANYTHING regarding these matters but is she correct?

European ???....  IF her EU driving licence is not in English, then she would require an International Driving Permit to accompany her ‘European’ driving licence. 

That said, to remove all doubt and as she is here 6 months of the year she really should be driving on a Thai Licence. 

On 3/10/2023 at 7:46 AM, AhFarangJa said:

Another good tip for you, if it is possible, is to get the licence soon after your birthday. They count the years before expiry based on full years. For example, if your birthday is in September and you get your licence in December, it will not expire until September 2026. 

That only aply for the 5-year license, not for the first time 2-year license

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 12:22 AM, Schlanbusch said:

That only aply for the 5-year license, not for the first time 2-year license

Yes, but it should be noted when applying for the first licence. Then you can renew it for a 5 year licence as they will be running almost consecutively.