Driving Licence in Thailand

TimF

Hello

I am about to retire to Thailand from the UK - arriving visa exempt then applying for Non-O based on retirement. I will be living with my in-laws initially. I am currently not in the yellow book and I don't have a pink ID card yet.

Do I need to wait until I have the Non-O visa and name in yellow book and pink ID card before I even think about getting a Thai Driving licence?

What will I be asked for (Nong Khai)? I have read that I should get an international driving permit in the UK before I arrive so I will do that.

Do I need my UK driving licence to be translated into Thai and stamped at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs? Or can I just show my UK driving licence and the international driving permit?

I have also read that there are 2 licences - 1 for car and 1 for motorbike. Is it the same paperwork for both? Can I apply for both at the same time?

Will I need to do a test of any kind?

Sorry a lot of questions but hopefully someone can give me some guidance on what I need and the process.

Many thanks in advance

You just need a visa of some sort, you will get a 2 year provisional licence. If you have a licence from your country, you will just do the reaction, colour blind, and the alignment tests, plus a medical, which nobody fails and costs next to nothing. I did have an International Driving Permit.. 

You will watch a daft video for an hour.

You can drive on your UK licence for 90 days. Motor and bike licences are treated separately, including the medical paper..

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

You just need a visa of some sort, you will get a 2 year provisional licence. If you have a licence from your country, you will just do the reaction, colour blind, and the alignment tests, plus a medical, which nobody fails and costs next to nothing. I did have an International Driving Permit.. 

You will watch a daft video for an hour.

You can drive on your UK licence for 90 days. Motor and bike licences are treated separately, including the medical paper..

Thank you - Do I get the medicals at any private hospital (1 car licence medical and 1 motorbike medical)?

Just checking - they don't need proof of address?

Yes, there are 2 licences - 1 for a car and 1 for a motorbike. You can I apply for both at the same time. If I recall correctly, it is the same paperwork for both, but you have to make two applications and there's a different price for each one.  If you need to do a computer test, you may also have to take the same test twice, one for each licence. That's what I had to do anyway. 

13 minutes ago, TimF said:

Thank you - Do I get the medicals at any private hospital (1 car licence medical and 1 motorbike medical)?

Just checking - they don't need proof of address?

Proof of address is required, LTO offices usually have a qwack sitting nearby, think 100bht a paper....

• Confused 2

You don't need to be in yellow book or have pink ID.  I have never had them.  You can get a residence certificate from immigration for free.  Or get an address statement from your embassy for money.  Any hospital and some clinics will do the medical certificate for you.

If you have a valid license from another country you will just have to watch a video, lasted about 45 minutes.  And do some vision and reaction tests.

• Thumbs Up 1

You don’t mention if you have bike endorsements on your UK license - not the provisional, the A1 & A2 (afaik).

if you haven’t, you just do a test (practical, health and theory) and watch a video. A local driving school near me was doing a day course for 1000B - seems a lot better than going through all waiting around at the LTA. 

Another good tip for you, if it is possible, is to get the licence soon after your birthday. They count the years before expiry based on full years. For example, if your birthday is in September and you get your licence in December, it will not expire until September 2026. 

16 hours ago, asf6 said:

Yes, there are 2 licences - 1 for a car and 1 for a motorbike. You can I apply for both at the same time. If I recall correctly, it is the same paperwork for both, but you have to make two applications and there's a different price for each one.  If you need to do a computer test, you may also have to take the same test twice, one for each licence. That's what I had to do anyway. 

If you get an International Driving Permit before you arrive you will not have to take the computer test, just vision, braking and depth perception test, strongly suggest you get the IDP

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, TimF said:

I will be living with my in-laws initially. I am currently not in the yellow book and I don't have a pink ID card yet.

You seem to be a bit confused. Thais do not have yellow books for you to be in, they have a blue book and you can be added to that. I lived with the in-laws initially but never bothered , just waited till the house was built and got a yellow book.

A yellow book is for foreigners and can be issued in your name, you would need that before getting a pink card.

As for the driving licence, not necessary and it can vary. Where I go they used to accept the yellow book as proof of address and then they suddenly stopped, insisted on the certificate from immigration.

15 hours ago, sandyf said:

You seem to be a bit confused. Thais do not have yellow books for you to be in, they have a blue book and you can be added to that.

Incorrect information.

He can not be in the Blue book. 

Unless, I think, he has  permeant residency or becomes a Thai citizen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, quake said:

Incorrect information.

He can not be in the Blue book. 

Unless, I think, he has  permeant residency or becomes a Thai citizen.

There is no such thing as "correct" or "incorrect" information, it would be a question of the Amphur agreeing, or not. The term "usually" would be more appropriate, nothing is usually set in stone.

There have been several reports over the years of people having been included in the blue book. Same with condo owners, some have had a blank blue book and some with their name in it.

"If as a foreigner you have Thai family members such as a Thai wife then you can be included in the “Blue Book” of the Thai family which is also known as the Tabien Baan in local speak"

https://www.lawfirm-bangkok.com/family/tabian-baan.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

There is no such thing as "correct" or "incorrect" information, it would be a question of the Amphur agreeing, or not. The term "usually" would be more appropriate, nothing is usually set in stone.

There have been several reports over the years of people having been included in the blue book. Same with condo owners, some have had a blank blue book and some with their name in it.

"If as a foreigner you have Thai family members such as a Thai wife then you can be included in the “Blue Book” of the Thai family which is also known as the Tabien Baan in local speak"

https://www.lawfirm-bangkok.com/family/tabian-baan.html

Yes,  but it's not the norm.

So you are wrong.

Stop giving false information to newbies.

Op don't listen to this poster. 

Edited by quake
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, quake said:

So you are wrong.

Only the arrogant would be telling people to ignore law firms.

One can only assume the phrase  "If you don't ask, you don't get"  is not in your vocabulary.

First yes get an international driving permit

you can not get a Thai license until you have a one year visa/extension and you will need a letter of residence, from immigration. 

you can get the medical from any government hospital and some of the clinics. 

No computer test needed. just reaction, color test, sight test.

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

you can not get a Thai license until you have a one year visa/extension and you will need a letter of residence, from immigration. 

You cannot get a '5 year' licence unless you have a long stay visa of some sort, they will keep giving you a 2 year one.

No need for hospitals, a quack will be nearby a licencing place for the medical.....

On 3/10/2023 at 12:06 PM, flexomike said:

If you get an International Driving Permit before you arrive you will not have to take the computer test,

I think that is wrong info. if you have your home country license no need for computer test. IDP has no influence on that. 

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

One can only assume the phrase  "If you don't ask, you don't get"  is not in your vocabulary.

Only fools argue black is white.

( Law firms over an entry in a tabin ban) :cheesy:

I seriously have to question the intelligence of some posters.

But there again, most would just admit they are wrong and move on. 

Good night.  :stoner:

16 hours ago, brianthainess said:

A Thai DL is not dependent upon your visa, TV holders can apply for a DL.

The difficulty arises because they need a certificate of residence, not all immigration offices will issue a CertRes, for example Khon Kaen Immigration will issue a certificate to anyone, if you hold a Non-O / B then they are free, but if you hold a TV they charge 500B.

This is accepted at the DLT and they will either allow you to take a test or transfer your IDP - but you will only be ever issued a 2 year temp license on a TV.

I have no wish to split hairs with you, because on the whole, it does seem difficult for TV holders to apply for a Thai DL, just trying to help others who may read this. 

19 hours ago, sandyf said:
22 hours ago, quake said:

So you are wrong.

There have been very few reports from posters who have been able to get themselves into their ‘partners blue book’ or they have a ‘Blue book’ for their condo (in which they are not named) which may have led to some of the confusion. Additionally, Amphur officers may have made mistakes in the past by putting a foreigner in a Blue Blue house book... etc etc....     So, as you correctly state - Foreigners have been put in the Blue House Book, but this is a rarity and very far from the norm.

The Law Firm you refer to, is actually a webpage of one Law firm and they have published incorrect information - someone made a mistake, its not uncommon at all in Thailand where there is little accountability (I’d steer very clear of that law firm for a start). You call it arrogance not to believe the LawFirm... others would call you naive for believing anything in print. 

As you mention the Op ‘could’ try and get in the Blue Book and there is a very slim chance his request would be met, particularly if living in an area of Thailand which has very few foreigners and Amphur staff who are extremely relaxed...  

IF the Op wanted such a ‘Proof of Address’ document - A Yellow house book is what he would need to apply for (often called Yellow Tabien Baan house book on this forum). 

The Op does not need this Yellow Tabien Baan house book as proof of address at all, so the discussion is somewhat moot, as already answered, the Op needs proof of address and can get that in the form of (1) Affirmation of Residence from his Embassy, or, (2) Certificate of Residence from Immigration. 

(1) For many nationalities - Op will need to be on a residence Visa (i.e. Non-Imm, some Embassies (eg British) will not issue this document to those on visa exempt stamps or tourist visa’s etc - Not an issue for the Op).

(2) Some immigration offices will require an applicant to have submitted a 90 day report before they will issue a CoR (but not all - for example there are reports of Chiang Mai issuing CoR without 90 day reports)

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2023 at 10:18 PM, rwill said:

You don't need to be in yellow book or have pink ID.  I have never had them.  You can get a residence certificate from immigration for free. 

A word of advice - when I renewed my licence recently (Korat) the free cerificate of residence took 10 days, if I wanted it there and then 500Baht for each one (car and motorcycle) might be different elsewhere but might pay to check before getting the medical cert (valid 1 month I think).

On 3/9/2023 at 2:54 PM, TimF said:

I am about to retire to Thailand from the UK - arriving visa exempt then applying for Non-O based on retirement. I will be living with my in-laws initially.

About this specific facet of the Ops post. 

1) Visa Exempt: Op will not be issued an Affirmation of Residence from the British Embassy (which is also a PITA to deal with for the Op as its in the UK). Thus, the Op would need a CoR from Immigration. 

2) Will his Immigration office in Nong Khai issue him with a CoR on a Visa Exempt without a Non-Imm visa ?

Separate issue (somewhat off topic). 

Op states he’s going to live with his InLaw for a period - this implies he has a ThaiWife. 

Op has the option to enter Thailand on a Non-Imm O based on Marriage.

Could then either apply for extensions of stay based marriage, or switch to extensions of stay based retirement  (is that possible to switch ?).

Entering Thailand on Non-Imm visa would make his ’start up’ here much easier with regards to things such as getting his Driving licence sorted etc and also getting local Bank Accounts etc (if he needs such).

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 1

Slightly off-topic but my (Thai) wife has a Thai driving licence, but it has expred. She insists that because she lives six months a yearin Europe her European driving licence is OK.  I have my doubts and worry if she is involved in an accident the insurance won't cover her. I know there are no hard-and-fast rules about ANYTHING regarding these matters but is she correct?