Clamped and ticket

In reply to the original question, I can only state my own experience.

My motorbike was padlocked after parking in a no parking zone in Khon Kaen. I had to go to the police station to pay the fine. I was not asked to show my licence. Nor was I asked to show passport or anything.

In response to all the other holier- than-thou replies.

When renewing my insurance on a pick-up some years ago, I asked if the insurance covered any driver and would it still be valid if the driver did not have a license. I was told that the insurance would still be valid even if the driver was unlicensed. They did tell me that they could not comment on whether it is the same with all insurance companies though.

Also, about 8 years ago, my girlfriend's son  had an accident on his motorbike. He did not have a license. The insurance paid out.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, gascooker said:

Thanks for the helpful replies. 

I hadn’t realized this forum was full of such fine upstanding citizens who’ve never once broken the law.

I’m guessing nobody here has ever had a heavy night and then drove their car the following morning, quite likely being over the drink drive limit.

Nobody here has ever barfined a working girl for the purposes of prostitution.

Never jaywalked, taken stationery home from the office without thinking. I must admit, I did get some laughs reading this thread.

Keep telling yourselves you’re perfect. Maybe somebody will believe you.

????????????

If you will provide me with your name I will pass it on to the relevant authorities in the hope a heavy fine and jail term will be the outcome.......:cheesy:

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, loong said:

In reply to the original question, I can only state my own experience.

My motorbike was padlocked after parking in a no parking zone in Khon Kaen. I had to go to the police station to pay the fine. I was not asked to show my licence. Nor was I asked to show passport or anything.

In response to all the other holier- than-thou replies.

When renewing my insurance on a pick-up some years ago, I asked if the insurance covered any driver and would it still be valid if the driver did not have a license. I was told that the insurance would still be valid even if the driver was unlicensed. They did tell me that they could not comment on whether it is the same with all insurance companies though.

Also, about 8 years ago, my girlfriend's son  had an accident on his motorbike. He did not have a license. The insurance paid out.

I can tell you,a lot of things have changed in 8 years.

2 hours ago, gascooker said:

Thanks for the helpful replies. 

I hadn’t realized this forum was full of such fine upstanding citizens who’ve never once broken the law.

I’m guessing nobody here has ever had a heavy night and then drove their car the following morning, quite likely being over the drink drive limit.

Nobody here has ever barfined a working girl for the purposes of prostitution.

Never jaywalked, taken stationery home from the office without thinking. I must admit, I did get some laughs reading this thread.

Keep telling yourselves you’re perfect. Maybe somebody will believe you.

????????????

Not perfect by any means and definitely no angel ..a lot of comments on here were from people who genuinely wanted to help you ..no one wants anyone to have problems with bib here..just sayin 

15 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

Not perfect by any means and definitely no angel ..a lot of comments on here were from people who genuinely wanted to help you ..no one wants anyone to have problems with bib here..just sayin 

No, some comments were helpful. Others were either a wind up, or Thailand ‘white knights’. You know the type, never been in a beer bar, never rode a motorcycle without a helmet, only eats Thai food…  

p.s paid the fine at the station, no identification or license required. 

18 hours ago, gascooker said:

Will they ask to see my license when I try to pay the fine.

From my experience - "no". I used to go to the local Traffic Police Office and present the ticket with the cash - 100 baht I seem to remember. Very simple and no hassle. I used to attend a monthly diabetic clinic at the local Government Hospital where official parking was severely restricted and one had to use surrounding streets, many of which were "no parking" areas. The Traffic Police had a field day!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Why would you drive without the proper documentation? Any many criticize Thai's for not having a license. You need to get a grip on what is needed and get the necessary documents before you drive anything.

Valid point, but this thread is already full of sanctimony... The Op has already stated that he is due to get his licence at the end of March. 

An additional facet that my pooh-pooh those crying foul is that if the Op has a Driving Licence from his home country, he may well be driving legally anyway... 

(... I know, I know... thats pandoras box opened... regarding overseas driving licences, IDP, Insurance, treaties etc ... there have been numerous other threads on that aspect). 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Valid point, but this thread is already full of sanctimony... The Op has already stated that he is due to get his licence at the end of March. 

An additional facet that my pooh-pooh those crying foul is that if the Op has a Driving Licence from his home country, he may well be driving legally anyway... 

(... I know, I know... thats pandoras box opened... regarding overseas driving licences, IDP, Insurance, treaties etc ... there have been numerous other threads on that aspect). 

It is common sense

One other thing don't pay the full fine, i once received a proper fine and had to go to the police station to pay it and jokingly haggled a little and sure enough i managed to get nearly half off the fine. In Thailand everything is negotiable.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, gascooker said:

No, some comments were helpful. Others were either a wind up, or Thailand ‘white knights’. You know the type, never been in a beer bar, never rode a motorcycle without a helmet, only eats Thai food…  

p.s paid the fine at the station, no identification or license required. 

Ok mate take care ..H

On 3/9/2023 at 8:59 PM, gascooker said:

Anybody going to provide any answers to the question or are people just going to moralize?

A Thai driving licence is not a requirement to own a car, the police did not see you, nor ticket you, for driving without a licence, they just want the parking ticket paid.  Take your passport in case they want to see some ID.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well said Rich.

I am getting my license on March 27, garunteed through a driving school. 

I have a UK license and been driving for over 10 years. I rarely drive the car, missus drives most of the time.

But all these sanctimonious people wouldn’t understand that. I am willing to bet every single person on this thread has broken at least 1 traffic law.

Not that they would ever admit that…

2 minutes ago, gascooker said:

Well said Rich.

I am getting my license on March 27, garunteed through a driving school. 

I have a UK license and been driving for over 10 years. I rarely drive the car, missus drives most of the time.

But all these sanctimonious people wouldn’t understand that. I am willing to bet every single person on this thread has broken at least 1 traffic law.

Not that they would ever admit that…

Nope, no me one, never.