Latest on Savannakhet and Ho Chi Minh City

I no longer qualify for - nor need a Multi Entry Non O (MENO) based on marriage - divorced.

However, a mate knows that I used to get a MENO most years and has asked me what's required.

I can't really help him other than to ask for the latest information on here.

As I understand it HCMC are requiring a booking to be made and also now ask for financial evidence.  I haven't seen anything on Savannakhet post Covid.

I'm not sure that the information is on their websites or that what is there, matches exactly what they want.  For example, from memory I don't think HCMC offered a 12 month MENO on their website but it was certainly available pre covid.

Does anyone have recent experience of either (or any other if the're easy) consulate, know their requirements and whether or not they offer a 12 month MENO?

Edited by KhaoYai

ME Non O marriage same process at Savannakhet as prior to covid.

No appointment required.

Have not seen recent reports of same visa from Saigon consulate.

And yes appointment required and currently weeks in advance. 

To apply without financial proof, the easy solution right now seems to be Savannakhet, avoiding Mondays and Thursdays to put in the application because of crowds.

Depending on your friend's nationality, it is possible that an application might be possible via the Thailand e-visa site.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, BritTim said:

To apply without financial proof, the easy solution right now seems to be Savannakhet, avoiding Mondays and Thursdays to put in the application because of crowds.

Depending on your friend's nationality, it is possible that an application might be possible via the Thailand e-visa site.

He's British and currently lives in Thailand on an extension - begun from a Non O. This year he can't meet all the requirements but a MENO will see him through.

When you say Thailand's E visa, is that a new thing - you can apply from anywhere direct to Thailand or do you mean an E- Visa from a consulate or Embassy? If its the latter, I believe they are only available if you are a citizen of the country in which you are applying in or have legal residence there.

Out of interest and not connected to my mate, I used to get my MENO's from Hull/London in the UK until they went E-visa - at which time they stopped issuing 12 month ones and would only give a single entry 90 day Non O.

A recent poster on AseanNow was apparently applying for a 12 month MENO at the RTE London - I asked on there but I don't think he replied or I missed it and can't find the thread now. Are E-Visa Embassies and Consulates now offering 12 month MENO's?

Edited by KhaoYai

2 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

A recent poster on AseanNow was apparently applying for a 12 month MENO - I asked on their but I don't think he replied or I missed it and can't find the thread now. Are E-Visa Embassies and Consulates now offering 12 month MENO's?

I have read a couple of reports recently of e-visa Multi Non-O (retirement) being issued to UK passport holders.  The option certainly exists in the e-visa application.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

I have read a couple of reports recently of e-visa Multi Non-O (retirement) being issued to UK passport holders.  The option certainly exists in the e-visa application.

Sorry I should have been clear - I mean a MENO issued based on marriage not retirement.

16 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Sorry I should have been clear - I mean a MENO issued based on marriage not retirement.

You can certainly complete an application for one, I just went through a dummy to check.  GBP10K in the bank needed, together with the other marriage related documents.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

You can certainly complete an application for one, I just went through a dummy to check.  GBP10K in the bank needed, together with the other marriage related documents.

Right, well thanks for that. I had to go to HCMC (also could have gone to Savannakhet) when they first went over to E-Visa.  Can't remember if that was a London thing only - they are known for making up their own rules and mistakes on their website that they refuse to correct.

7 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Right, well thanks for that. I had to go to HCMC (also could have gone to Savannakhet) when they first went over to E-Visa.  Can't remember if that was a London thing only - they are known for making up their own rules and mistakes on their website that they refuse to correct.

When first implemented, the e-visa system did not support multiple entry Non O visas of any description. That limitation was later rectified.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

When you say Thailand's E visa, is that a new thing - you can apply from anywhere direct to Thailand or do you mean an E- Visa from a consulate or Embassy? If its the latter, I believe they are only available if you are a citizen of the country in which you are applying in or have legal residence there.

Officially, you are only supposed to use the e-visa system to apply when actually within your home country (or country of residence). I believe as the e-visa system spreads to other countries, eliminating applications at embassies/consulates, that restriction will become unworkable. Already, some have succeeded with out of country applications, but it is certainly risky.

Another poster has indicated that UK nationals applying for a ME Non O visa based on marriage must show £10k so it will apparently not be a viable option for your friend anyway. I wonder if single entry Non O visas in conjunction with 60-day extensions might be a good alternative.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

Another poster has indicated that UK nationals applying for a ME Non O visa based on marriage must show £10k so it will apparently not be a viable option for your friend anyway. I wonder if single entry Non O visas in conjunction with 60-day extensions might be a good alternative.

Yes, I have already suggested that to him.  I note that Savannakhet don't have a Multi on their website - not sure if they ever did and don't mention financials.

Whereas, HCMC are still listing a Multi but are asking for:

2.5. Applicant’s financial statement of adequate finance is required.

No mention of what that 'adequate finance' may be.  However, I think their website stated the same when I obtained my last MENO in March 2020 and I wasn't required to provide any.

What I'm trying to establish is:

Do Savannakhet offer MENO's and if so, do they require financials?

Or:

What is the 'Adequate Finance' that HCMC require? Or, as in 2020 when I applied, do they not actually require it if your application is based on marriage?

There don't seem to have been many reports from either consulate for some time, surely things are moving again?

Edited by KhaoYai

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

Yes (5,000 baht) and no.

Thanks for that - however quick scan of HCMC's website reveals that despite stating:

7. Period of Stay:

Holder of this type of visa is entitled to stay in Thailand for a maximum period of 90 days. He or she may apply for an extension of stay at the Office of the Immigration Bureau and may be granted such extension for a period of one year from the date of first entry into Thailand.

Yet they still list a price for a MENO:

3. Visa Processing Fee (accept in USD only):

Single entry 80 USD 

Multiples entry 200 USD 

I'm pretty sure that's what their website said when I obtained a MENO in 2020. I guess the only way to find out, in the absence of a recent report, is to contact the consulates.

Edited by KhaoYai

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Thanks for that - however quick scan of HCMC's website reveals that despite stating:

7. Period of Stay:

Holder of this type of visa is entitled to stay in Thailand for a maximum period of 90 days. He or she may apply for an extension of stay at the Office of the Immigration Bureau and may be granted such extension for a period of one year from the date of first entry into Thailand.

Yet they still list a price for a MENO:

3. Visa Processing Fee (accept in USD only):

Single entry 80 USD 

Multiples entry 200 USD 

I'm pretty sure that's what their website said when I obtained a MENO in 2020. I guess the only way to find out, in the absence of a recent report, is to contact the consulates.

In the past, I had gotten a Non O 90 day in HCMC and it was smooth sailing.  A few months ago I went to get a new Non O, and it was the opposite.  The IO was a pain in the ass ( even though I showed him a printout of bank balance) He wanted to see months and months of financials.  I ended up having to contact the Mrs and have her email her financials from a Thai bank.  

HCMC is now not where you want to go without financials and months and months of print outs of said financials.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

7. Period of Stay:

That is stating the rules for each entry slightly incorrectly explained. (Consulates regularly incorrectly explain extensions.) If you have a multiple entry visa then, up until the expiry date of the visa, you can leave and return to Thailand for a new 90-day permission to stay.

5 hours ago, dhupverg said:

HCMC is now not where you want to go without financials and months and months of print outs of said financials

Yes, in March 2020 I got a 12 month MENO from HCMC without any financials whatsoever - just the crazy invitation letter from my wife and the usual marriage certificate/ID card/Tabien Baan.

As it happens, the only time I got to use that visa was on my return to Thailand from Vietnam - thanks to Covid.

I didn't see an I.O. during that application, just a couple of what looked like students who took my paperwork into the back room which I presume is where the I.O. was.

It would appear that Savannakhet is the only place in the region where a NON O can be obtained without reems of paperwork.

Unless someone knows different??

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

That is stating the rules for each entry slightly incorrectly explained. (Consulates regularly incorrectly explain extensions.) If you have a multiple entry visa then, up until the expiry date of the visa, you can leave and return to Thailand for a new 90-day permission to stay.

I read that differently.  My take on it is that they are saying the visa is a single entry (as they don't actually list a MENO) but if you want to stay longer you can extend it in country.  That would either be a 60 day extension to the actual stay, easily obtained at a local office or the 12 month extension that many expats go for...... with the under consideration period, money in the bank, photos on the bed etc.

The confusing part is that they don't list a 12 month MENO only a single 90 day entry but still give the (rip off) price for a multi.

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I read that differently.  My take on it is that they are saying the visa is a single entry (as they don't actually list a MENO) but if you want to stay longer you can extend it in country.  That would either be a 60 day extension to the actual stay, easily obtained at a local office or the 12 month extension that many expats go for...... with the under consideration period, money in the bank, photos on the bed etc.

The confusing part is that they don't list a 12 month MENO only a single 90 day entry but still give the (rip off) price for a multi.

It is known that, if you meet their conditions, HCMC will issue you a multiple entry Non O visa valid for one year. When you use the visa to enter Thailand, they correctly state that you receive a 90-day permission to stay, and must then leave unless you get an extension. Maybe, you interpret what is written as implying that they cancel the visa in spite of the fact that it is multiple entry, but I do not think that is explicitly stated, and certainly do not consider it logical.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is known that, if you meet their conditions, HCMC will issue you a multiple entry Non O visa valid for one year. When you use the visa to enter Thailand, they correctly state that you receive a 90-day permission to stay, and must then leave unless you get an extension. Maybe, you interpret what is written as implying that they cancel the visa in spite of the fact that it is multiple entry, but I do not think that is explicitly stated, and certainly do not consider it logical.

No, you've misuderstood me completely.  What I mean is they state that an extension can be had following entry to Thailand - possibly to stress the fact that they only issue single entry Meno's now. The confusing part is that they still list a price for a MENO.

Have you heard from anyone that has successfully obtained a MENO at HCMC recently?  I haven't but I did obtain one myself in March 2020.  In any case, it seems there have been some changes at HCMC as another poster has had to provide financials whereas I didn't have to in 2020.

Prior to Covid both HCMC and Savannakhet were known as locations where people wanting a Multi Entry Non O based on marriage could obtain one with the minimum of hassle.  I am just trying to find out if this is still the case - there doesn't appear to have been any recent reports.

For me, HCMC was the easiest to get to - even if the distance is the greatest.  Depending on where you are in Thailand, Savannakhet can be a bit difficult to get to and very time consuming. I was in Bangkok at the time so I just had to go to Don Mueang and I was in HCMC a couple of hours later via cheap flights on I think, Thai Lion Air. I treated it as a short holiday and had a look around HCMC.

My mate is up in Korat and has been to Savannakhet before, he might not consider it as a hassle.

On 3/10/2023 at 7:24 PM, BritTim said:

Already, some have succeeded with out of country applications, but it is certainly risky.

I will guess so and it could be fraud also. Because on the first page they will ask you for your passport country and your place of residence and then tell you if e-Visa is available to you or not. Inside also, it will ask you for proof of your residence. If you lie, it is easy to check the veracity of that from your passport. Of course, I am not sure IOs will scrutinize it or not unless you have a long history of staying in Thailand and show up with an e-Visa from your home country after leaving Thailand for a few days only. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

On 3/10/2023 at 11:42 PM, BritTim said:

Hi Tim, is that recent info regarding Mondays and Thursdays to be avoided? I know it used to be pre-Covid (because those were the days for the agency minibus arrivals)... I just hadn't heard or seen that this had restarted post-Covid. Could you confirm? (I'd planned to go on a Thursday later this month, so I may go a day earlier if that's the case.)

2 hours ago, raysunshineray said:

Hi Tim, is that recent info regarding Mondays and Thursdays to be avoided? I know it used to be pre-Covid (because those were the days for the agency minibus arrivals)... I just hadn't heard or seen that this had restarted post-Covid. Could you confirm? (I'd planned to go on a Thursday later this month, so I may go a day earlier if that's the case.)

Same as pre-Covid, visa run companies drop off their customers there on Mondays and Thursdays again. 

Gday 

Everything about savannaketh and hcmCity is correct l stated. I m

puzzled by matter that the op mentioned he could not afford the 400 k in the Bank for marriage extension. But going to sannaketh cost usd 200 = thb 9 k only for the visa plus travel expenses thb 6 to 8 k thus why use an agent for the retirement extension. ? Its cheaper ? Of course you need to be 50 yrs old

Cheers 

Roobaa01

2 hours ago, roobaa01 said:

Gday 

Everything about savannaketh and hcmCity is correct l stated. I m

puzzled by matter that the op mentioned he could not afford the 400 k in the Bank for marriage extension. But going to sannaketh cost usd 200 = thb 9 k only for the visa plus travel expenses thb 6 to 8 k thus why use an agent for the retirement extension. ? Its cheaper ? Of course you need to be 50 yrs old

Cheers 

Roobaa01

I'm not sure if you are getting your information from this thread or a completely different one?

Firstly, I no longer qualify for a MENO - I'm divorced, I'm trying to get information for a mate. Nowhere did I state that he can't afford 400k but at the moment he can't produce it in the way required and on time. Therefore it seems his best option is to get a visa from either HCMC or Savannakhet.

Both of those locations used to offer 12 month MENO's without any financial requirement - I have been trying to establish if that's still the case.

Secondly, as far as I know, the cost of a MENO at Savannakhet is 5000 baht not $200 US. The $200 US is the price at HCMC. The total cost of obtaining a visa at either location, including travel etc. is way less than the 400,000 baht required for a 12 month extension.

You then talk about using an agent for a retirement extension - nowhere have I stated that my mate wants a retirment extension or that he has used an agent. The visa he wants is a 12 month MENO based on marriage.

Are you sure you are replying to the correct thread?

Edited by KhaoYai

I was at Savannakhet Thai Consulate yesterday (Monday) to apply for a Tourist Visa. Big crowds. Many minivans of agency customers. Got in the queue at 8:30 am and handed in my application at 11:30am. I wanted to ask about a Non-0 based on retirement but didn't get chance because of the chaos.  For my TR the officer poured over copies of my bankbook so they were looking at financials for TRs at least.

Edited by dastott

8 minutes ago, dastott said:

I was at Savannakhet Thai Consulate yesterday (Monday) to apply for a Tourist Visa. Big crowds. Many minivans of agency customers. Got in the queue at 8:30 am and handed in my application at 11:30am. I wanted to ask about a Non-0 based on retirement but didn't get chance because of the chaos.  For my TR the officer poured over copies of my bankbook so they were looking at financials for TRs at least.

Good update.

It behooves anyone pondering the marriage MENO to get it sooner than later. That's not speculating, just my opinion and I am not fomenting rumor or gossip.

Up 2 U

TiT

3 hours ago, dastott said:

Did you need to provide any other documents besides financials? Such as proof of accommodation or onward travel?

7 hours ago, dastott said:

For my TR the officer poured over copies of my bankbook so they were looking at financials for TRs at least.

Interesting but not necessarily worrying.

The RTE London used to disregard the need to provide financials if you were applying for a MENO to visit your wife (despite their website stating they were needed). I wasn't arguing with them but I found it a strange stance.

Nevertheless, it seems things are changing and I doubt they will change for the better.

On 3/14/2023 at 12:39 PM, Caldera said:

Did you need to provide any other documents besides financials? Such as proof of accommodation or onward travel?

Yes I showed them a copy and original of my 12 month lease, and they took the copy. The flight ticket I had printed out was disregarded and handed back to me. Wish I had known it wasn't necessary (it says a flight out is needed on a notice inside the consulate) as I had bought it specifically. All the agency visa runners knew it wasn't needed so that is one benefit of using an agency.

• Thanks 1